rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
df0

Town-building games

Feel free to move this to ATF.

Long boring story short: I am looking for games in which building a village/town plays a big part of the game. Think of Settlers (1), Dark Cloud and Chronicle, perhaps the base-building aspect of RTS games. I do not enjoy the whole battling aspect of an RTS, I just really enjoy the building of a town.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

I'm a fan of this style too, but the last great town-builder for me was Settlers 2, so I'm not sure how much help I can be :/

That being said, a friend of mine absolutely loves the Tropico series, so if you've never given them a go you probably ought to.

Yeah, I shoul have mentioned two things.

1) That exact thread is why is created this topic

2) I am on a Mac

Thanks for the reply of course. Maybe this is the right time to run Bootcamp :)

Yeah, I shoul have mentioned two things.

1) That exact thread is why is created this topic

2) I am on a Mac

Thanks for the reply of course. Maybe this is the right time to run Bootcamp :)

You are me.

Every time I see Anno mentioned, I curse Steve Jobs!

(And then quietly beg for his forgiveness)

I'm a fan of this style too, but the last great town-builder for me was Settlers 2, so I'm not sure how much help I can be :/

Same for me, and Anno 1404 feels as close to a modern reskinned version as you'll get. The only thing I miss are the little mine surveying guys!

I'll add to the chorus of aprovals for Anno 1404 Deef. If there's a way to get it working on your Mac you should look into it, I love town builder games and this is about the best out there.

Same for me, and Anno 1404 feels as close to a modern reskinned version as you'll get. The only thing I miss are the little mine surveying guys!

It certainly looks lavish, and the day I get a PC capable of running it I'll leap at the chance to play it, but I'm not getting my hopes up - the real joy of the Settlers 2 was its simplicity, and the charm of your, well, settlers. Lovely animation, every one of your people filled with character. Wonderful game :)

Shame the DS port was so awful* :)

(never did try the actual remake though. Maybe I ought to...)

*just to make clear, I'm talking about the Settlers here.

Settlers 2 was one of the games that got me into gaming. Not sure how it compares to the original, but it was just brilliant. So detailed and engrossing.

Another favourite of mine from years back was Stronghold, a medieval strategy/management thing where you built up a castle and the infrastructure of it. It has a Mac version, though I think it's quite hard to get hold of now. Really varied game modes from the straightforward sandbox where you could just build up a thriving city (and trigger invasions or other events if you really wanted to), to the siege modes where you'd either attack or defend a pre-built castle. The editor was very powerful and easy to use as well. If you can find it for a decent price, give it a look.

Do you need a meaty PC to run Anno?

I think it scales down pretty well, but if you do have a reasonably decent PC, it's just about the best-looking game ever made. There is a demo available if you want to test it out.

It's great to see so much affection for Anno 1404 here; it really is an absolutely beautiful game. Like The Settlers, it's all about the detail - watching your tradesmen go about their business, building a tavern and watching drunk people stagger around, letting beggars into your city and seeing them wheel themselves around on their little carts. Every time I play it I notice new details. It's also huge, open-ended and with the expansion you can even play it online. And, as mentioned, it is absolutely gorgeous to look at. Given that it was roundly ignored on release, it's nice to see its reputation grow over time, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's ever enjoyed a city-builder.

The DS version of Anno is brilliant, and well worth a look if you've no means of playing the PC version. It got decent reviews, for what it's worth.

Has anybody played both the DS Anno games? I'd like to get one of them, but I've not managed to find a review of the new one (Anno: Create A New World) that even mentions the earlier DS port of Anno 1701. Is one much better than the other? They both seem to have generally decent reviews.

Hmm, you've got me interested! I love The Settlers (1) with a ridiculous passion, but it's never really been matched with any other games. Clearly I need to give Anno a go.

I also need to get DosBox running on my new W7 install, I feel the urge to build a new town. I've had a few ideas, this town will definitely be better than those that have come before... :)

I never played Settlers II but spent a considerable amount of time on The Settlers on Amiga. How was the sequel better?

Well, it's been a long, long time since I played the first, but from what I remember, the sequel offered: a significant improvement to the interface, considerably better graphics (SVGA! :)) and animation (which count for a lot in this series. Certainly looks better than any of the later games with their hideous CG/3D graphics). I honestly can't remember what differences there were in terms of the settlements themselves, or indeed the combat (which Settlers 2 gets just right, avoiding the direct control that marred the later games, and instead ties in directly to the city management. And also accompanies with incredibly cute animations as your soldiers fight the enemy one at a time, forming a queue if need be :(), but I believe it was a little deeper.

As much as I loved Settlers 1+2 I think 3 was much better (4 may be even better but I never got round to playing it). I thought the combat in 1 and 2 were it's weakest points, there was no real strategy to it, it was fairly random and mainly came down to who had the most soldiers. 3 added a little bit of depth and control to the combat without losing the simplicity or the main focus on buildings and logistics. If it hadn't been for the ridiculous DRM in 3 which prevented me playing after a while I'm sure it would have been my most played game ever. After 4 it went 3D and never looked as fun. I'm tempted again by 7 though except it's got that stupid Ubisoft always online DRM shit.

It wasn't really about having the most soldiers, but the best soldiers. As a single high-level soldier could wipe out an infinite number of basic troops (since any health lost in a combat wasn't carried over to the next). Meant the only strategy you needed was building a settlement advanced enough that you could recruit said soldiers, thus making it a part of the city building, rather than its own RTS thing on the side. But, yeah, if you wanted proper combat, I guess the later games were better.

Though, for me, 3 was a graphical dead-end too, which is probably what put me off the most.

I played the demo of Settlers 3 voraciously and looked forward to actually getting the full game for more than a month, until I could afford it.

I ended up playing about two of the missions, attempting and hating a sandbox game, and giving the whole thing up as a bad job. Can't remember the reasons exactly, but the combat was definitely one of them. It was shit compared to actual RTS combat - Age of Empires had been and gone at this point - and it distracted from the city-building stuff.

It wasn't really about having the most soldiers, but the best soldiers. As a single high-level soldier could wipe out an infinite number of basic troops (since any health lost in a combat wasn't carried over to the next). Meant the only strategy you needed was building a settlement advanced enough that you could recruit said soldiers, thus making it a part of the city building, rather than its own RTS thing on the side.

Definitely this. There were some tactical tricks you could play to get extra soldiers out and about if you were being attacked by a massive army though, as any of your soldiers wandering the paths would get stuck in if they encountered an enemy. So you could choose to attack a nearby enemy hut to get soldiers out from your other buildings, or hit the button to have less-well trained soldiers return to the castle to be replaced by better-trained ones... Man, I love Settlers. :)

Whatever happened to Impressions? They chucked out quality city-builders and expansions for several years - Caesar 3, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor... and then just stopped. I'm very tempted to track some of these down, as I only played Caesar 3, but they don't appear to be on Steam and the only one on GOG is Caesar 3 itself.

Has anybody played both the DS Anno games? I'd like to get one of them, but I've not managed to find a review of the new one (Anno: Create A New World) that even mentions the earlier DS port of Anno 1701. Is one much better than the other? They both seem to have generally decent reviews.

I have both, its not worth owning both as they are almost the same game. <_<

The later one is better, has more buildings, better graphics, a smoother difficaulty curve and ironed out a few of the annoying things about the first one. I bought it a few weeks ago for less than £10. The DS has quite a few city building games and the newest Anno is easily the best one in its genre on the console.

I love this style of games and I find it really sad how they have gone a bit thin on the ground over the last 5-10 years. :lol:

I believe Impressions games were closed down by Vivendi.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressions_Games :lol:

I might have to check out the Anno on the DS I enjoyed just sandboxing on the first one.

Isn't the team behind Anno the original Settlers guys? Thought I'd read this somewhere....