Red Faction: Armageddon.

I got it for £22.50. I absolutely loved guerilla so was happy to take a chance at that price. It looks and feels and plays like it, but, it's a dull plodding linear version :( So far anyway.

I'll let you know what it's worth once I've had more time with it :D

At the minute, I'm putting off playing it, waiting for an fov fix because it's making me feel a bit queasy.

That's pretty much why I decided against it, I kept hoping the levels would open up or be bigger, but the demo pretty much confirmed my worst fears about how linear and guided the whole experience was going to be.

So thanks for taking one for the team. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions. :)

Ooh, it's picked up a bit now

It's all gone a bit "descent", I've gone underground in the dark to twat some munsters.

It's feeling a bit like dead space at times. Hated dead

space 2, bored the arse off me, but the first dead space was brilliant and it's reminding me a bit of that at times. I

think that's definitely what they've gone for.

I'm starting to think red faction guerilla but linear kind of works, obviously it's not preferable but it's not bad at all :D

Sounds awful.

I play by my own rules, maaaan. I'll blow your mind here, I never ever use anti aliasing :D

At a high resolution (1920x1200) at 24 inches which is how I currently play, I don't think it's needed. It has an impact on performance in most games and I actually prefer the sharper look you get with it off. Everything seems to blend into one and look too smooth and smudgy with it on for me.

I'll always drop graphical frills to keep my framerate around or higher than 60, responsiveness is far more important to me than looking at the shiny shiny.

Actually i agree with the no AA statement.

I've been playing this for a few hours and whilst it's not badly made at all, it's so utterly boring. I'm really having trouble getting into it and I'm so nearly tempted to just stop. It's like they completely missed the point of why Guerilla was so fun. Even when messing around with the the destruction instead of just shooting monsters in the face your options are pretty limited, plus rebuilding everything you've destroyed because you need to it to move on still sucks. Now admittedly I haven't unlocked all the weapons yet but I really hope there's grenades of some sort of det packs. Nothing in this game so far has matched the joy of those weapons. It's just so bland, honestly. I'll keep going for a bit more (though not tonight) and see if I take to it more.

Played through the first hour or so yesterday, and I was getting strong Dead Space vibes (not only in the actual alien models, but in the way the GPS highlights your path and changing between weapons before going to the bench to upgrade them).

Will try out the Infestation Mode later - but what happened to Ruin Mode?

I was way way way too harsh on this earlier. Basically I had played an hour or so of it and loved the first level (against the cultists) and wasn't too impressed with the next level or two underground. After a good nights sleep and getting stuck into this properly (and finishing it) I have to say it's pretty damn good. Once you accept it for it is and what it isn't (a Guerilla style game) and you start getting all the weapons it becomes a ton of fun. It's in some ways better than Guerilla, the weapons are in the majority better and the destructions incredibly impressive. So much so that at a few points, there was so much destruction and so many enemies my framerate completely died for a very short period :lol: I'm really impressed that they kept the framerate going so well/solid to be honest, some good programming there.

All of the mechs are great and like Guerilla are the best things in the game. My absolutely favourite thing was

the descent style level. You can tell these guys would love to make a new Descent game and I'd love that too, excellent level. Descent with that sort of destruction ? Oh boy, bring it on

I was worried that destruction would be played down but when you're in the middle of a fight in a big open area, there's plenty of destruction going on. Most of the weapons are aimed towards destruction too. Basically I never used the Assault Rifle and the Shotgun the odd time. Everything else was rocket launchers, singularity fun etc. I like watching shit explode :D

My biggest complaints would how close the FOV is, far too close for my liking and I wish I was fighting humans mostly rather than aliens. Those and I'd prefer open world since it gives you more room to experiment. The aliens though did lead to some very frantic combat which was most enjoyable. Nothing funnier than having a big beastie attack you and then magnet gun him through a building :lol:

Ideally I'd love them to make another Red Faction in the style of Guerilla with Armageddons (and Guerillas) weapons , open world and lots of mechs. Some flying levels too.

Just finished this (X360) what can I say, It's pretty enjoyable!

I must mention that I missed RF Guerrilla so this felt pretty fresh to me. The story line is pure nonsense and the aliens are generic tosh. It's linear as hell and mostly set in a cave. It's never going to win awards for originality that's true. What is does do though is allow you to monster your way through thousands of bad guys feeling as tough as hell. In addition, the weapon set is pretty good (an obvious highlight being the magnet gun). Do I throw them up in sky? Splat them against a wall? Or just bring an entire building down on top of them? If you play this game make sure you use this weapon, it's brilliant. So satisfying. The singularity gun is class too!

Whilst it's true that the game itself is fairly uninspired, I think there is a real sense of love running through it's heart. True, it's mostly set in caves but there's some lovely visual flourishes that make it quite a looker in a weird way. Some tongue in cheek script and plot twists suggest that this wasn't just churned out. As already mentioned, the weapons have a great balance allowing you to smash anything and everything in your way. Make sure when starting a new + game you select the Mr Toots weapon. Bonkers!

It reminds me of Infamous for some reason, and a little bit like that Bourne Identity game. Rough and unpolished, but fun. All in all, it's not gonna blow your socks off but it's worth having a peek.

Argggh, difficulty spike. Can't get past the ride the excavator bit at the moment, hordes of enemies closing in on me, no cover (unless I use LB to put a single bit of metal back up).

Had a quick blast on Infestation, seems fairly uninspired. Ruin Mode was more fun (found it, but bear in mind you need the unlock code - so second-hand buyers will have to purchase it) running around with the rocket launcher...

Just got topside in this. Enjoyed the fight with the tentacles popping out. Flinging aliens about and into each other is a grand pleasure. Did anyone else find it a bit odd though that just as you got topside

and get taken by the army or whoever they are, that they just leave Kara there on her own with no weapons or anything and loads of aliens boiling around in the caverns beneath her? I at least expected them to take her with them. And after all the time you're trying to find her, our hero barely bats at an eyelid at this turn of events.

Maybe I missed something, but it just made the previous fights a bit odd when he didn't really give a shit after all.

Ugh, a perfect example of how not to do a last level. Horribly long and drawn-out, ended up rushing through the waves of aliens such was my irritation, which is ashame because it's been really good fun up until this point.

Remember Volition, less is more.

Well, i just finished it and it's, y'know, kind of OK and instantly forgettable i suppose. The 'Break-me-up Before You Go-Go' tech is fantastic though. Very glad i rented it in an unexpectedly quite work week, there's only about 7hrs of single player entertainment in the main game though. It's no RF Guerilla, in terms of size, enjoyment and free-form destructo- mayhem. I think my main problem was the feeling of being trapped in a low ceilinged cave for about 70% of the game.

We're running a Ruin mode tournament from now up until 7pm GMT on Thursday 7th July for UK players on all formats.

We want to see who can get the highest score on the Junction map. Simply play Ruin mode, get your best score and then post your gamertag, PSN ID or Steam ID in this thread to let us know how you are doing. The winner will receive a Red Faction: Armageddon T-shirt and poster. :)

Just finished this and very enjoyable from start to finish. Clippa can fuck off with his PC Master Race nonsense, because, apart from 1 moment, the game ran pretty flawlessly, and even in that moment I still felt in control.

Looks lovely in places as well, the descent into the cave at the end, with it's beautiful lighting is a real joy to behold. Took about eight hours to finish but never outstayed its welcome, and piloting mechs and ships to rain down death proved welcome additions to the standard run and gun fare.

Oh, yeah, and the magnet gun... It never got old!

Just to chip in with a quick tip: Insanity really isn't that hard. I jumped straight into it as I'd heard the game was somewhat on the easy side, so if you're familiar with third-person shooters and after a bit of a challenge I'd whack the difficulty right up.

Jesus christ mate, there's no need to be so aggressive, no need to shoot the messanger, it was a direct quote from eurogamer, I haven't played either of the console versions :(

If you haven't tried it first hand, why did you feel the need to post it? It's simply because you buy into this fucking stupid PC Master Race schtick nonsense, and try and jimmy in some stupid anti-console crap wherever you can even when it isn't needed, and quite frankly, it's fucking tiresome. Sorry if I sound aggressive, but for fuck's sake, change the record. We all know it probably looks sharper and smoother on a PC so why even bother to point it out and then hide behind "Well, I didn't say it, it was just a quote, waaaaaaahahhhhhhaaaahhhhh!" is just as annoying.