Portal 2

HarMGM

Up to the

first conversion gel room

and I think I'll call it a night.

I love the

Gels - are these a spoiler? I guess some oversensitive people will say yes. First time I encountered the blue one I just bounced around for a while, and I've spent ages painting every room all OCD like

Also I like what they've done with the music - how it builds based on what you're doing and how you're solving the puzzle - I couldn't work out what it was doing at first

the propulsion gel tune is the best

Zero replay value and it will be half price in three months. Dead Space 2, another EA published game, just went half price here. So, if anyone else thinks full price for a six hour game with no replay value is a little steep, just wait a couple of months.

Zero replay value and it will be half price in three months. Dead Space 2, another EA published game, just went half price here. So, if anyone else thinks full price for a six hour game with no replay value is a little steep, just wait a couple of months.

You sir are a buffoon

I'll play through the singleplayer one more time at least to hear the developer commentary. Valve are great at those.

Ohshityeah! I'd forgotten about that.

I recon I'm quite far along now, 5 hours in and some bits took my tiny mind ages to figure out.

The atmosphere of unease is superbly done, as is just about everything else.

What I'm finding most crazy about it though, is that it has surpassed every single one of my expectations.

Have to take a break as I have a pretty bad headache but what a great game so far, I knew Valve wouldn't let me down. Unfortunately I keep getting stuck as I'm shit. I was all impressed that I finished

Chamber 19 but now I'm stuck on Chamber 20 with the 2 redirection cubes and 3 lasers. Feel so dumb :lol::hmm:

I'm not reading anything in this thread, til I'm done, but I'm approx. 10 mins in. Holy shit what an opening, and this first bit is totally :wub:

Valve, what the hell is it about their games that is jsut so.. videogame? :D

Loving it.

Only niggle (minor spoiler if you're going in blind like me) is:

Stephen Merchant's voice - wtf! not sure if it fits tbh.

I've just started chapter 4 - could anyone whose completed it want to tell me how far in I am?

Number of Chapters (according to the chapter select screen) -

I'm currently on the 5th chapter. It's amazing and i'm finding it far more taxing than the first game. superb.

Right, regarding question of length. I'd rather have something shorter but of constant excellent quality than something long and mediocre. that is real value for money.

Two video game darlings - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Both games are 4 hours long with no real "replay value" other than playing it again. Doesn't stop them being fucking top tier videogames.

From what I've seen of it, I actually like Stephen Merchant's voice; it fits well, lightens the mood, and gives the 'eye' more character. I don't know if I could last 6/7 hours with the voice from the first game.

It does make it look a bit like a bank advert though.

Number of Chapters (according to the chapter select screen) -

I'm currently on the 5th chapter. It's amazing and i'm finding it far more taxing than the first game. superb.

Right, regarding question of length. I'd rather have something shorter but of constant excellent quality than something long and mediocre. that is real value for money.

Two video game darlings - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Both games are 4 hours long with no real "replay value" other than playing it again. Doesn't stop them being fucking top tier videogames.

Cheers man. Looks like I can do another chapter or two tonight then! :D

What I'm finding most crazy about it though, is that it has surpassed every single one of my expectations.

Aye, having finished the game I have to support this - I was expecting a retread of Portal when I played this, to be honest. I never expected it to surpass it in so many ways - it's an absolutely brilliant game. My opinion of Half-Life is well noted around these parts, but I did love Portal, and it made me think that maybe Valve were alright, actually. Portal 2 is an absolute masterpiece, and has place Valve firmly within my list of favourite developers, something I genuinely never thought would happen.

I'm also a little bemused at the people who've found it easier than the first game, but I guess that's just down to what sort of a head you have for this sort of game. It's certainly a lot less taxing in terms of requiring fast reactions and precise aim, but I found the puzzles far more complex and challenging than any of the core puzzles in the original.

Oh an another thing; valve really need to fix the source engine's need to 'load' a new section so soon! Get some streaming tech in there, GaBE!

Chapter 2:

Ah, am loving this now GLaDOS is back!! :wub: Stephen Merchant's warming on me too.

Ah, what an adventure! This really is fantastic so far.

For a game featuring so little life, Valve have done a remarkable job in making it feel so very alive. The dialogue is funny, delivered with punch by the excellent voice actors, and underlined by the wonderful incidental soundtrack. The animation is remarkable, not just in the way the environment is given personality, but by the range and degree of expression available to your two companions. This is particularly impressive when you consider how most other games "cheat" with motion-capture, and how the models lack the features traditionally required (faces) to convey emotion. The reunion scene in Chapter 1 is a masterpiece, and had me mouth agape, throughout.

The scene at the start of The Fall

had me in fits of giggles. The potato, the slow clap, the script, all while plummeting thousands of meters. Brilliant.

For a game featuring so little life, Valve have done a remarkable job in making it feel so very alive. The dialogue is funny, delivered with punch by the excellent voice actors, and underlined by the wonderful incidental soundtrack. The animation is remarkable, not just in the way the environment is given personality, but by the range and degree of expression available to your two companions. This is particularly impressive when you consider how most other games "cheat" with motion-capture, and how the models lack the features traditionally required (faces) to convey emotion. The reunion scene in Chapter 1 is a masterpiece, and had me mouth agape, throughout.

The scene at the start of The Fall

had me in fits of giggles. The potato, the slow clap, the script, all while plummeting thousands of meters. Brilliant.

Are you playing co-op before single player, then? Cos I'd heard it was worth doing single player first, 'story'-wise.

The worst part about this is that it would have been oh so easy to eliminate.

Yeah completely rewriting the part of the source engine that handles all the data; simple!

Got past that puzzle I was stuck on and got a good bit further in, still continues to be bloody marvellous :D

Now I'm stuck at

The part where you hear Cave Johnsons voice for the first time. Trying to make my way into a building but whilst I can portal to the top and make my way across the makeshift scaffold I can't get on top of the final metal pipe that goes up to it. Probably doing something stupid anyway.

Anyway time for bed. No point playing this when I'm tired as I'll just get annoyed and not getting past it.

Ah, ffs. I'm stuck in

Gamma Pump Station

specifically, a room with

All three gels.

I've managed to get up to the walkway on top, but there literally doesn't seem to be anywhere to go after that.

Very un-Valve design.

straight on. No idea how to get there though. I'm done for now :P

my review:

BEST GAME EVER

I'm pretty sure the room I'm in doesn't have a solution. You can make some gel fall down a bottomless hole. That's it.

I did the bit vayaify is talking about without any trouble though. In fact, it's all been very unchallenging up until this room, which seems to be broken. I'm not so much that I'm stuck as there isn't anything I can do.