Portal 2

HarMGM

Man, I wish I had a PC capable of doing Portal 2 justice. :( Have to wait for the console version now.

I feel your pain. I've just got a new Laptop that aces every benchmark test except for having a built-in Intel Graphics card & afaik upgrading such a thing after already getting it is either:

A) Difficult & Expensive (to the point where you might just a well get a new PC)

or

B) Impossible. :(

I would love to join in all the Steam Shenanagans that Valve do for their best stuff like Portal (adding a new ending, achievements, etc to the old game, the ARG stuff in other games) as well as just being able to use Steam to its full potential as it seems like a PC Game/Store/DRM done right, but i'll settle for being happy that this time the PS3 owners aren't just getting cold leftovers in the form of a late & unsupported Orange Box.

Its valves own system so they can pretty much do what they want. They aren't tied to a publisher in that respect. Also considering how important steam has become I hardly think the hard copy publishers will throw a hissie fit. It's only a few days and most of their hard copy sales will come from the console versions.

Surely this won't be the full game unlock on Steam? The retail customers would go spare. At most i reckon they may unlock some small demo type effort or something...

Gabe just said he had something to release early.

Its valves own system so they can pretty much do what they want. They aren't tied to a publisher in that respect. Also considering how important steam has become I hardly think the hard copy publishers will throw a hissie fit. It's only a few days and most of their hard copy sales will come from the console versions.

It also functions as an obvious demo of the possibilities and benefits of digital distribution, which is exactly what they want. All the digital owners get it early and all the hard copy players have to wait for their snail mail packages to arrive.

Pre ordered on steam and I'm downloading the 360 version. I will be playing this tonight no matter what.

I'm gona pay the developers properly and play it next Friday, and actually reward them financially for their work.

Hmmm portal 2 just got a 290 meg update......

A patch maybe?

If so, Patched before it even releases. I want all the other games developers out there to take lessons from Valve on how to do Support.

Isn't there also supposed to be a Level Editor later on for the PC Version?

A patch maybe?

If so, Patched before it even releases. I want all the other games developers out there to take lessons from Valve on how to do Support.

Isn't there also supposed to be a Level Editor later on for the PC Version?

Yeah, as with all Source based games the SDK tools will be released sometime after launch.

Oh God, I just realised that I'm going to be in transit between work and home come 5pm. Mobile internet, don't let me down now!

I'll be using a 3G connection. THREE G. Coincidence? Maybe. Just something to think about, guys.