Portal 2

HarMGM

The boxart is indeed terrible, luckily those of us smart enough to go for the Steam version won't have to put up with it. Thing is, the concept art that came out of the ARG recently featured some great Portal 2 boxart, each one a million times better than the one they've settled on. Such a shame.

COMPETITION TIME

I have two copies of Portal for PC, ready to be gifted via Steam.

I appreciate most people probably already have it, so the only requirement is being mad enough not to have played Portal yet.

First two people to PM their Steam account names win the prize. One proviso, Rllmuk group members only! But feel free to join if you haven't already, link is in my sig.

Time starts........................ NOW!

The boxart is indeed terrible, luckily those of us smart enough to go for the Steam version won't have to put up with it. Thing is, the concept art that came out of the ARG recently featured some great Portal 2 boxart, each one a million times better than the one they've settled on. Such a shame.

I guess they want to sell the concept to people via a very immediate image. But it's so naff :(

I loved this one:

441px-56.jpg

Err, no-one is talking about that, in this thread OR the Valve thread.

The only people talking about it are the people in the crypto IRC channel dedicated to solving it. Which is the screenshot I posted in the Valve thread.

Even if you go into the general valvearg IRC channel, they're talking about how funny they thought the trailer was.

Where are you getting your impressions from?!

Like when I made a crack about the numbers sending the nerds into a frenzy and then nooooooo-ooooooone mentioned it ever again? Yeah. Shut up everyone! The crypto guys have been sat in an IRC channel waiting for more numbers for two days, their reaction bears no relevance to how they feel about the trailer itself. Isn't that obvious? I'm getting a bit tired of the 'no-one can see the beauty but me' schtick.

Pob, not that I think Valve arent capable of fucking up, but I wonder if it was a publisher decision?

Edit - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42347/EA-confirmed-as-Portal-2-publisher

EA are publishing, or so it says there. So those posters and the boxart etc are EA right?

Like when I made a crack about the numbers sending the nerds into a frenzy and then nooooooo-ooooooone mentioned it ever again? Yeah. Shut up everyone!

Pob, not that I think Valve arent capable of fucking up, but I wonder if it was a publisher decision?

Valve are the publisher so it's what they chose. EA are just the distributor for Valves games on the retail shelves, that's always been the case.

Valve are the publisher so it's what they chose. EA are just the distributor for Valves games on the retail shelves, that's always been the case.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I thought EA published and distributed the boxed versions.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I thought EA published and distributed the boxed versions.

Yeah that's always been the way. For example if you take a look at the boxes for their games you'll not find an EA symbol or reference anywhere. They're just a distribution channel. I guess for EA it's very beneficial regardless, well apart from them completely fucking up the PS3 port that is. That's another thing I am curious about too, Valve don't half arse things so I wonder how the PS3 version will compare to the others (well in general, they underestimated the pain in the ass that is up dating TF2 for example on consoles)

I remember something about EA not only porting but also publishing the LOL-tastic PS3 version of the Orange Box? Maybe that is what Morrius is thinking of.

Could fair well be, but I swear I'm not talking shit this time about at least the 360 version :lol:

As for the PS3 version you know what the annoying thing is ? The developers said ages ago that they could have easily done a port as good as the 360 version given time but that EA basically were tight arses with money and time and rushed it out the door. I bet words were had between Gabe and EA and EA probably took a right kickin.

Hmm a quick look on Gamefaqs reveals that EA did in fact publish all three version of the Orange Box - PC, 360, and PS3. And it seems that Valve is publishing all three versions of Portal 2 themselves this time around but only in the US - EA will publish the game in Europe.

I remember something about EA not only porting but also publishing the LOL-tastic PS3 version of the Orange Box? Maybe that is what Morrius is thinking of.

what was so lol-tastic about the ps3 version? was it just a really rubbish port?

Hmm a quick look on Gamefaqs reveals that EA did in fact publish all three version of the Orange Box - PC, 360, and PS3. And it seems that Valve is publishing all three versions of Portal 2 themselves this time around but only in the US - EA will publish the game in Europe.

Looking at the TF2 wiki it says how Valve published them and EA just distributed them. Fuck I don't know which one it is! :lol: I definitely read that on a proper source though, didn't pull that out of my ass! I'm still certain Valve published them all but would be nice of confirmation either way, not that it matter, just curious more.

Gerbik you sexy bastard, thanks for the Steam games! I assume you already those from the potato sack ? :D Damnit my finger is so close to the purchase button, especially since I know you've got it on PC and others here have it too.....

PORTAL 2.

IS.

RELEASING.

EARLY.

*If you buy the Sack and you already have some of the games in it, you can gift them to a friend! Also, by buying the pack and playing all the games in it, you’ll get unique items for use in Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2’s Co-Op Mode.

Heck, just by playing the games, you might even help to get Portal 2 released early…

Continue rocking on. Over and out.

From the Gaijin games (Bit trip developer) blog.

(Gabe mentioned 'releasing something early' in his bathysphere puzzle)