Portal 2

HarMGM

I'm very very worried that the PS3 version will be tied to the account and will require you to be connected to PSN to verify it on boot up, like DC Universe Online.

That would seem a sensible precaution for giving you essentially a free game, though. I don't see that as disproportionate.

They would only need to check when you wanted to login to Steamworks anyway. So I imagine the PS3 portion of the game would be fine playing offline unless you wanted Steamworks functionality. Wouldn't be too hard for each disc to have a unique ID and for them to check that against PSN and the registered Steam ID and deactivate or disallow activation of the free PC game as needed.

I'm really not sure which version to get. I could get the PC version but then again you can get the PS3 version with PC version yet I have no desire to play it on PS3. On 360 I have friends I could maybe do coop with yet you'd get no updates (or at least very unlikely to be as quick as PC/PS3). I don't really know that many people on PC yet I'm sure a good few of you on Steam list will be playing it. Now if the PC version was a certainty for early release this week that would maybe tip the balance to a preorder on Steam...... (I don't think that's been confirmed one way or the other has it ? )

I wouldn't get too worried about restrictions relating to PC/PS3 functionality - it'd be totally out of character for Valve to allow one of their own games to have draconian DRM.

Steam: DRM system.

I'll bet anything that PS3 copy of Portal 2 is useless once you've registered it to your Steam account.

Steam: DRM system.

I'll bet anything that PS3 copy of Portal 2 is useless once you've registered it to your Steam account.

What about for all those people who don't use the internet and don't have their PS3 hooked up ? They have to let those people play it too. Maybe they'll create a local account and do it that way.

That's what they said about Half Life 2 in 2004 :D

Wonder if the boxart has REQUIRES NETWORK CONNECTION on it.

A console is completely different from PC though, I don't think Valve will get away with that if they want to attract PS3 users (could well be wrong though!)

It's a backdoor method of getting security onto the PS3 in the light of the PS3 being cracked wide open. Valve can get Steamworks on the system and then start offering to distribute other games with it with the added security that Steam brings. Betcha there will be some severe locking-down of PS3 Portal 2 copies (ie no resale whatsoever) and I bet there will be quite a stink kicked up about it.

Depends whether or not that specific disc printing/CD key gets tied to Steam or not. We'll see :D

I think people are getting Steam and Steamworks a little mixed up. Steamworks is not a distribution platform, it's their development API for adding stuff like achievements, match making, cloud save support and drm to your game.

Aye you're right, that's me being a thick bugger.

The comic's cool. Thanks, Sarge! :)

I'm thinking I should stop looking at Portal2-related media now. Don't want anything spoiled.

We still don't even really know much about the single-player mode, do we? All the media has been about the co-op robots.

Not long to wait... not long to wait. Is the 19th the UK release date (on Steam) or just the US?

:)

I found it on the following site, which also has some pretty nice wallpapers.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/extras.php

Ah nice find! I was hoping somewhere would have a PDF of the comic soon - thanks.

Like other guys I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much now... it's tempting to watch and read a lot though.

I was going to get the PS3 version with free Steam, but then I figured the price is high enough that it's not exactly a free copy - and will I ultimately use it on my PS3 - it was pretty clear I wouldn't as I prefer the PC. It's a cool idea, but not sure how many will really utilise it.

I hope that the PS3 version of Portal 2 doesn't require a constant PSN connection. While I fully intend to do the Registering & Steam-linking thing my PS3 can only go online in a limited fashion, so while I accept that this will cut me out off the Co-op I hope the single-player will be unaffected.

The reason why I don't just get it on Steam is that although Portal 1 appears to run just fine on my Laptop (Admittedly just the First Slice Demo, haven't got round to getting the full thing yet) This Site says that it will be unable to manage Portal 2, though by only a narrow margin so it's my intention to give it a shot should the Free-copy-on-Steam thing work out.

I wouldn't have thought so. Whilst I can't really understand gamers who aren't online, they do exist. The game doesn't need constant DRM checks so there would really be no purpose. I would assume that the steamworks portion would simply sync the relevant saves to the steamcloud once online, if they were made when offline.