Portal 2

HarMGM

Probably completely off the mark here, but since the Killing Floor achievements have been decoded, revealing the hint ''sixteen and four is the way'', if this is in any way related to a demo of Portal 2, 16-4 is the 12th, this tuesday coming, since that's when Xbox Live demos usually come out it could be that. Don't get your hopes up, just spreading my theory. ;)

The ARG has gone mental.

For one thing, every single game in the potato pack just updated, along with a bunch of creepy 'news' updates on the Steam site.

Weird achievements appearing in games that even the developers of those games don't know about.

Weirdest of all, you know there was a clue hidden up a pole at GPS coordinates decoded from an earlier part of the ARG?

Well, this just appeared on vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/22063401

That's right - Valve are watching us. :D

This is starting to get mad now, when will the ARG resolve. it's a mental amount of effort to put into what I can only fathom is a new game release. Cant see it being Portal 2 stuff, unless someone at valve is laughing his arse off watching people jump through hoops(not out of the realm of possibility).

Edit: all this potato obsession is odd to, the only other place in a valve game I can remember potatoes from is the hot Potatowned achievement in episode 2, so I'm guessing a release of fragger on steam.

Portal is the absolute perfect length. It's absolutely perfect. Perhaps foreknowledge is key, I went in knowing it was three hours long whereas perhaps others thought it was a full length game? That's the only worry I have about Portal 2, will it sustain itself for 12+ hours across both campaigns?

Portal is the absolute perfect length. It's absolutely perfect. Perhaps foreknowledge is key, I went in knowing it was three hours long whereas perhaps others thought it was a full length game? That's the only worry I have about Portal 2, will it sustain itself for 12+ hours across both campaigns?

Portal was never portrayed as a full game though, just an experiment that was given away for free in a bundle, so Smitty's being really churlish claiming it failed at something it never set out to do.

Every other thread on here seems to include a complaint about how games are too long!

Portal is perfectly formed. It never outstayed its welcome and at the end the narrative wrapped up in such a wonderful way it left you breathless. More games could learn from its example.

Also this ARG stuff is clever in a nice academic way, but I'm kind of irked by this kind of in-game marketeering. I mean the PC version of Portal still has all these fucking radios everywhere for the announcement of a game that happened ages ago, and the ambiguous ending retconned.

If I pick up Amnesia in half a year, is it still going to have fucking potatoes and flashing numbers and weird achievements everywhere that pull me out of the experience? Because the idea of changing previous games to market the sequels isn't really something that I'd welcome, and having it drop into games that are not even related to the product being marketed or the developer, or the publisher, just makes it even harder to avoid.

Oh as far as I'm concerned you're free to think whatever you want about any game as are the people at the top. And I'm sure I will love Portal 2 as much as I did 1, it will be perfection.. of a different kind, but perfection nonetheless :wub:

I worry it will be too long! :lol:

Also this ARG stuff is clever in a nice academic way, but I'm kind of irked by this kind of in-game marketeering. I mean the PC version of Portal still has all these fucking radios everywhere for the announcement of a game that happened ages ago, and the ambiguous ending retconned.

If I pick up Amnesia in half a year, is it still going to have fucking potatoes and flashing numbers and weird achievements everywhere that pull me out of the experience? Because the idea of changing previous games to market the sequels isn't really something that I'd welcome, and having it drop into games that are not even related to the product being marketed or the developer, or the publisher, just makes it even harder to avoid.

Oh, I don't mind it in principle, but I do wish you could "turn off" the radios. They ruin the atmosphere a little bit.

If I pick up Amnesia in half a year, is it still going to have fucking potatoes and flashing numbers and weird achievements everywhere that pull me out of the experience?

Yes, I'm sure that will definitely happen.

(Non sarcastic answer - The ARG stuff is being switched on and then switched off again after about 12 hours)

Portal was never portrayed as a full game though, just an experiment that was given away for free in a bundle, so Smitty's being really churlish claiming it failed at something it never set out to do.

there's a big difference between saying something could be more enjoyable if it was different (what smitty was doing) and saying that the game fails at what it sets out to do (what you're saying he's doing).

but really, he's not allowed to voice his opinion on whether or not it could've been more enjoyable for him without being labeled "churlish"? i think you are playing the man rather than the ball here. i mean, so what if someone thinks portal is too short and has too few genuinely difficult puzzles? it is rather short and it doesn't have a great many genuinely difficult puzzles, and while might be exactly what the developer intended (and it might be a big part of what some players like about it), someone's statement that they disagree with certain design choices doesn't always need to be taken as a personal insult, especially by people who weren't even involved in making the game. it's a critical standpoint on the work and there is room with every work of art ever made for more than one of those.

[apologies for an edited-in opening sentence while you were evidently typing - don't think it changes what i was saying much, though]

...yes, but smitty as i read him there wasn't taking issue with how they executed what they set out to do, but with what they set out to do. it's a totally different discussion.

does it succeed in being a short game with some neat ideas and a great endgame? yes.

would portal have been better if it was a more challenging puzzle game? up for debate.

Thing is, it's really short if you think of it as a full game, but it isn't a full game, it never tried to be, and it never pretended it was.

But, as stated, that's not relevant to someone thinking it's too short or too easy. "It's supposed to be" is not a critical answer. It's just side-stepping any possible debate.

FWIW, I don't think it's too short. I've probably played through it a dozen times and don't care that it's not particularly challenging either. I understand people who do, though. It's a fair enough point to make, even if Smitty does make it all the time.

Implying people who like the aesthetic are "nerds", though - well all that stuff is uncalled for and antagonistic. Don't rise to it.

[apologies for an edited-in opening sentence while you were evidently typing - don't think it changes what i was saying much, though]

...yes, but smitty as i read him there wasn't taking issue with how they executed what they set out to do, but with what they set out to do. it's a totally different discussion.

does it succeed in being a short game with some neat ideas and a great endgame? yes.

would portal have been better if it was a more challenging puzzle game? up for debate.

But it was an experiment to see if that sort of thing would be well-recieved and financially viable. That's why it was an experiment.

It's really easy in retrospect to see the positive reaction and go "why is it so short and just a tutorial, why didn't they just make a full game?", because you're using hindsight that wasn't available to Valve when they made the game.

Yes, I'm sure that will definitely happen.

(Non sarcastic answer - The ARG stuff is being switched on and then switched off again after about 12 hours)

I was thinking in more of a Kantian "what if EA starts doing this stuff" way tbh.

The decoding of the bathysphere has finished! See Emails from Gabe Newell for the finished translation. It evidently refers to 1... 2... 3... KICK IT!. There are numbers and symbols in between the letters of the translation, that together form "4/19/2011 7AM = 4/15/2011 9AM". What this means is anyone's guess.

This was on the ARG wiki...