Portal 2

HarMGM

I know nothing about this game. I guess, it's because I'm not actually hyped at all. I mean, Portal does not need a sequel.

The first game is so perfect and neat, I can't see this being necessary and only really teetering on the edge of disappointment.

Portal 1 kicks you in the gut with it's unexpected twist and second half, breaking the fourth wall and tampering with everything behind the scenes wizard of oz style. I just don't see how they could top that.

I'll get it for sure, because its new valve, but I want more of the sci fi soap opera that is Half life, don't leave me hanging!

Revealing characters and so on, its still spoilers.

I seem to remember a time when at least some developers made an effort to keep the game experience fresh and avoided over-exposure.

The recent videos such as the

and
don't have any spoilers, well apart from featuring the co-op robots but it must have been impossible to have avoided them, worth a watch as they really are excellent.

Do agree in general though, I've started watching less preview videos. More and more do seem to feature spoilers, or things like the first 15 min of a game, seems crazy to watch something like that, such an important part of the experience.

It's true that games that are not really hyped before launch (Portal, Torchlight), get much better reactions than games that are really heavily marketed and end up being a disappointment because of the daft expectations of gamers.

But you have to look at it from the devs perspective too, they're trying to get you to know that their game exists, and interested in it enough to be prepared to shell out £40 for it in a crowded marketplace. It's better for them to be overexposed and disappointing than have no one buy them because no-one knows they exist.

I think Valve have nailed it, everything they've produced so far has been either "here's a new game mechanic", or something that sells you on the humour or the world. The cute shorts they're doing are funny, subtlety introduce game mechanics (the "Robots" video includes the Aerial Faith Plate and Thermal Discouragement Beam), and don't spoil anything beyond "yo, it's more Portal".

This game doesn't really need hugely hyped as it's a Valve game and they seem to always draw in the audience no matter what. I've been really enjoying their short adverts and think it's a good method to get the marketing out there, feels funky, fresh but still familiar. I think giving us little snippets and teasers of who's involved, content, etc is quite a nice tactic too. I've been really excited about this and counting down to it, as I know it's a little more story driven etc and that appeals to me hugely - it's a world I want to explore more! I agree with others here though - recently with several games in general, if I'm particularly psyched for it, I'm not reading too much, getting into the hype, watching vids/articles etc as I want more of an impact when I actually get it.

Seeing as its a full game I wonder what the ratio of Story to Puzzles will be this time around. The only videos i've seen that could be perceived as spoilers are showing you the initial setup of the story & showing how some of the new mechanics such as the Repulsion Gel work.

Based on what i've seen the its quite possible there could be a lot more blurring of the lines between TestChambers & Story Sequences with Puzzle mechanics being used in both. You could have a series of Testchambers teaching & then challenging you how to use a new or old trick & then be behind the scenes again for a while applying what you've learned before another Testchamber or 2. I also remember seeing a lot more environments in that intitial E3 trailer that I haven't seen a glimpse of since, so i don't think they've spoiled any of how the game progresses beyond the 1st few chapters.

I don't think you can complain about things being spoiled before you've played the game. I mean, how would you know? We might have only seen stuff from the first 30 minutes of the game. I'm sure Valve aren't about to go sticking the last boss or major plot points in the trailer just to sell a few more copies. I mean, what about the bit where Freeman runs in and saves the day at the last minute by combining the gravity gun with the portal gun and making a gun that shoots black holes, for instance. They have to keep that a surprise right?

All we know is that Chell and Glados return, who some of the voice actors are (but nothing about the characters they play) and some of the new stuff the Portal gun now does - namely gels and beams etc. It's not like there isn't 98% of the game still left to discover for ourselves. Valve have always been tasteful with spoilers and so on - they know the value of a good surprise better than anyone out there.

I was passing through Birmingham's New Street station on Saturday, and these were all over the floor:

post-9333-058613600 1301931201_thumb.jpg

I don't think a Valve game has ever been advertised as heavily as Portal 2 is.

L4D had a monstrous $10,000,000 promo budget :)

I wonder how far Portal has managed to penetrate into Public conciousness? As in, when people see these ads for the sequel everywhere, are they thinking "oh cool, more Portal!" or they thinking "What's with the Gun that shoots light & Robots jumping through holes in walls?"

So, is this news about buying the PS3 version of the game also gets you the PC version actually true? I mean...actually?

Yep, no info how it'll work though.

Anyway, Aperture Investment Opportunity #3 - Turrets (VA spoilers)

:)

it all seems a bit more slapstick than the first one doesn't it? not just from those little arperture science adverts, the whole tone of it seems completely different from the gameplay videos.

i'm sure it'll be great but at the moment it seems a bit...odd

The video contains a clue related to the ARG Valve are running in association with the "Potato Pack" on Steam. At 0:37, you get a frame of this:

4Cf4p.jpg

It's already been decoded:

Here's Da Beens, Dougtato:You found many.Find the rest.MiKaXsUs FTW

it all seems a bit more slapstick than the first one doesn't it? not just from those little arperture science adverts, the whole tone of it seems completely different from the gameplay videos.

i'm sure it'll be great but at the moment it seems a bit...odd

I disagree, it seems very in keeping with the tone of the first.

The arg is getting weirder and weirder.

The Portal 2 trailer also contains a code which translates to "Also... Superdinoman's Mom'

Superdinoman is some bloke on youtube with a load of Valve related videos... he seems to be an L4D/Portal modder of some sort.

Also the aforementioned 'MiKaXsUs' and 'dougtato' are guys on the steam forums. It looks as if the people who solve 'round one' of the clues are getting rolled into the ARG in 'round two'. :lol:

The number 16 appears to be important too, as it keeps reoccuring.

Guys, is this Portal 2? Or is it, y'know, something else...?