Portal 2

HarMGM

Bought! :omg: Bought the two-pack with a friend, we're ready to go for epic Portal 2 co-op - April can't come soon enough :omg:

Usually you can never be 100% sure a game is worth the pre-order or not, you just have to go on your gut feeling and what you saw in the previews - even having liked the previous game in the series is never a 100% guarantee. The only exception to this are Valve games :D

Sorry folks, it won't have MOVE support.

Earlier today we reported that the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 will have full Move support, based on comments from Valve's Chet Faliszek. However, the developer has since got in touch to confirm that this will not in fact be the case.

Faliszek told the German PlayStation Blog that the game would boast "PS3-exclusive cloud saving, a free code for PC and complete PlayStation Move support."

The subsequent statement from Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi read, "this quote was 'lost in translation' - Portal 2 does not include support for Sony's motion controller."

For the record, we've double checked our original translation of Faliszek's comments and there was no error made.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-17-valve-portal-2-does-not-support-move

:(

Hmm, i really want to get this for the 360 for the friends list and achievements, but move support and a free pc version are swaying me...

no move support. Buying a game for achivements is silly though- pc game will have steam achivements if you care.

Upon viewing all those videos I have 3 thoughts in rapid succession:

1) OMG OMG OMG I WANT TO PLAY THIS NOW!

2) The level of complexity of the puzzles seems much higher, so i'm going to have to force my mind through even more hoops with the paint & quad-portal mechanics of the co-op than I did with the original.

3) The Aperture Science Enrichment Centre facility is much, much, much bigger than I thought. Its like some kind of endless Purgatory of Panels on Pistons, pipes, factories, lakes of caustic fluid, etc where no matter how far you go you will still be trapped within its systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamespot - GDC Hands On (campaign spoilers)

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/portal2/news.html?sid=6301046&mode=previews&tag=topslot;title;1

Achievement list. (you guessed it, spoilers)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/portal-2/achievements/

It might just be Valve messing with people, but there's one very interesting achievement...

Ship Overboard 10

Discover the missing experiment

Could it really be what I think it is?

:o:omg:

You guys haven't even heard my dimension gun theory yet

There's a guy on the steam forums with a good theory:

Ok this is a REAL tinfoil hat theory and if it's correct I would be VERY surprised. But it does fit the facts.

I am sure that everyone has noticed that the Enrichment Center looks different for Portal 2 than it did in the first game. Walls are different, GLaDOS is different, doors are different and so forth. This could easily be an Art Upgrade.

But what if it's not? What if the the Enrichment Center we see in Portal 2 is NOT the same one as in Portal 1? It's an Erichment Center from an alternate reality. This would explain a lot of things. Like how did GLaDOS get back inside the EC when we clearly saw she had been sucked out of it and why she looks different. It would also explain why the place is so big. From what we have seen the new EC is the size of a small city and it has open spaces as big as a major league sports stadium.

The Portal Hands on http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/po...&mode=previews describes a facility that looks like it left over from a much earlier time. It describes Art Deco furnature (Note Art Deco was big in the 20's and 20 and had a small resurgaence in the 1960's.), Ham Radio's and faded posters (You can see it http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/po...ridePid=991073 ) If you notice the Aperature logo is different and the name is "Aperture Science Innovators".

In some concept artwork we see someone (presumably Chell) standing in a monsterous waterfilled area with gigantic mechcanical balls in it. http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/po...ridePid=991073 The place is so big you can't see the other end of it.

Now if these ARE alternate dimension how did Chell get there from the EC she was in before? When GLaDOS "died" in the first game she got sucked upwords into a white fog and was followed by Chell. If that was some sort of dimensional breach it could have sent Chell to an alternate universe there things are a bit diffferent. The new EC is the product of a Aperture that was a lot more advanced than the one she came from. Light bridges? Energy Beams? (And not a Power Pellet to be seen so far)

Chell may be be visiting a number of different Enrichment Centers. Maybe the Portal Gun is not quite as safe as they thought it was.

Portal gun discovered at the end of the game rips holes through dimensions.

Half Life 3 'dimension gun' confirmed?

Dimensions are more Half Lifey than Portals. Plus, the Half Life characters seemed very disturbed by the resurgence of the borealis and the weapon aboard it - it seemed to hold more gravitas than a simple portal gun.

I've got it. It's a time travel gun.

It opens holes through time. The ship Mossman discovers in HL2:EP2 has been sent back by Chell from 200 years in the future.

Like this.

hl3a.png

That's why Kleiner etc are so awed by the power of the device. It doesn't open Portals through space, it opens portals through time.

• 2 weeks later...

Err, this is fucking amazing.

The National’s Fake Empire is one of my favourite songs in years. Which means I come to the news that the glum band has recorded an original song for Portal 2 with a happy heart. There’s not really any more to the story than that at this stage. There’s a press release where Valve and the band’s management both say that it’s a good thing. And then there’s an aching gap of silence where a clip of the song could have appeared.

Press release:

THE NATIONAL PENS ORIGINAL SONG FOR PORTAL 2

Top Music Act Contributes to Highly Anticipated Game Sequel

March 11, 2011 -- Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced an original song by popular recording artist The National will be included in its upcoming game, Portal 2, when it is released the worldwide the week of April 18.

Portal 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the title that earned over 30 Game of the Year Awards in 2007. The sequel adds new characters, game mechanics, and multiplayer co-op to the award-winning formula that made the original a global phenomenon in gaming.

"The inclusion of the original song, Still Alive, in the first Portal game was part of what made the game special," said Chet Faliszek, writer at Valve. "For Portal 2, we wanted to extend the use of music. When Bug Music mentioned to us that The National might be interested, we jumped at the opportunity to work with them."

"After I met with Valve and learned about the intricacies and story line of the first Portal game, I knew The National's music would fit beautifully in the sequel." said Julia Betley, Bug MusicManager. "The National's raw and emotive music evokes the same visceral reactions from its listeners that Portal does from its players. It was exciting and a privilege to bring together two exceedingly talented creative teams to create something special for Portal 2."

Portal 2 is due for release worldwide the week of April 18 for Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac. Visit thinkwithportals.com for more info.

About The National

High Violet' is The National's most acclaimed and fastest-selling album to date. Released in May 2010, it debuted at #3 on the Billboard Top 200, and prompted the New York Times to claim "The National is in a league of its own." The band has toured non-stop since the album's release, with highlights that include sold out shows at Radio City Music Hall and Brooklyn's Prospect Park; a concert at the Brooklyn Academy of Music to benefit the Red Hot Organization, with accompanying live webcast on Youtube and Vevo directed by D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus; and mainstage performances at Bonnaroo, Sasquatch, and Lollapalooza, where they "seduced everyone" according to USA Today.

I've got it. It's a time travel gun.

It opens holes through time. The ship Mossman discovers in HL2:EP2 has been sent back by Chell from 200 years in the future.

Like this.

hl3a.png

That's why Kleiner etc are so awed by the power of the device. It doesn't open Portals through space, it opens portals through time.

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff?

I got about five seconds into the actual gameplay part before I turned it off. I'm even sorry I caught that little bit!

The dramatic shift in aesthetics from what we've seen so far surprised me, so I don't want any more of the beginning spoiled!

Bizarre!

I love The National but this is really one of the last things I'd expect.

but it's so obvious, especially given that the national's raw and emotive music evokes the same visceral reactions from its listeners that portal does from its players.

Ship Overboard 10

Discover the missing experiment

Could it really be what I think it is?

I echo your sentiments.

Right there. I echoed them.