rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

BBC 6music isn't closing and is awesome!

Is Ad's show with Edith Bowman any good?

I think it's just Edith now, Adam isn't on anymore. He was quite good, she was pretty much the same as she was from her Radio 1 days but with better music.

For anyone interested in the top 100, the Spotify playlist of it is here:

Some good tunes in there, a lot of the top 20 is mass market stuff like Killers and Coldplay but it's still better than most top 100 lists from radio stations these days.

Edith wasn't a patch on Torpedo Commander Cornish. She was content to sit back and let Adam take all the glory, whereas Joe would be challenging Adam at every turn and making an effort to have something to say for himself.

Probably missing the point here but Edith, please shut up about festivals. In fact I'd prefer it if they just played music for three hours instead. I did try listening to Adam & Edith but as has been said she just tended to sit back and let Adam do his thing, there was no real chemistry there, as much as the trailers tried desperately to say there was.

It was only ever scheduled for a half dozen episodes.

Dr Buckles' blog.

Starting Saturday 17th November I'm doing 7 shows on BBC 6 Music with Edith Bowman as my co host. The shows will be in the 10am to 1pm slot every Saturday thereafter. These will be the first radio shows I've done on 6 Music since Joe and I were in Glastonbury in June 2011.

Joe is now busy with film projects pretty much full time now, which makes it hard for him to commit to doing the radio show regularly, which is a drag. I miss it/him. We could do the odd one-off I suppose, and I hope we will some time, but doing the live show with interaction from people listening week on week is hard to beat so I thought I'd give it a go with someone completely different and see what happens. FAQs: Why not Garth or someone from the comedy world? Garth is also busy with a new film and I wanted to avoid trying vainly to create a new comedy double act. I like the fact that Edith is more of a mainstream media person. It'll just force things to be different I think.

It's hard to avoid feeling like a parent undergoing a separation from their spouse and trying to explain to the children that I'm not trying to replace Daddy with the Scottish lady I've brought home. Daddy Cornballs will always be your Daddy and will always pour buckets of scorn on any fun things you've brought home to show him, but sometimes Mummies (albeit manly, bearded Mummies) just need to er, try doing a radio show with someone totally different because Daddy's busy doing exciting films and Edith's been really nice stepping in to help me out so please be nice to her. I guess you could think of her as Mrs Doubtfire. No wait, that would imply that Joe has come back masquerading as a weird Scottish nanny, and would also infer that Edith is like Robin Williams in drag, so that's no good at all.

Anyway I'm doing my best to make these shows with Edith as different as I can without throwing out too many babies with the Cornballwater. In practical terms that means there'll be some new jingles and 'Text The Nation' will be called 'Memory Bank'. I don't think Joe will mind if the odd familiar feature pops up now and then though; Edith has musical connections and is a legendary singer too of course so a 'Song Wars' bout isn't out of the question for example. We'll see how it goes.

• Upvote 1