rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

BBC 6music isn't closing and is awesome!

I don't actually listen to 6 music, or any radio, but do get a few podcasts of its shows.

Even so, I think it's important that it exists, and is just the sort of station the BBC should have. If it is axed, I hope space is made for the kind of music it plays on a different station - Radio 2, perhaps?

That whole article makes for depressing reading. No silver lining to any of this I can see.

Close half it's website? It is pretty sprawling.

Cut down on American shows? Don't think I've seen any on the BBC. What are all these programmes?

6 Music was (is) excellent.

I look forward to ITV and Sky 1 becoming world-class broadcasters once the closure of 6music has given them "room to operate".

What an incredibly depressing article; almost as depressing as the comments at the bottom.

Cut down on American shows? Don't think I've seen any on the BBC. What are all these programmes?

Off the top of my head: Defying Gravity, Simpsons, Family Guy, Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, Damages

Off the top of my head: Defying Gravity, Simpsons, Family Guy, Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, Damages

Heroes and the wire too. Although frankly, from the amount they were broadcasting they have cut down a lot recently. Not sure that's a good thing though.

I've only heard of those two, and hasn't The Simpsons been on Channel 4 for about five years?

I've only heard of those two, and hasn't The Simpsons been on Channel 4 for about five years?

You've never heard of Mad Men or Damages?

Regardless, I think the BBC would be better of canning the shit churning BBC3 than 6Music.

BBC are insane if they cut 6music , i don't always like their output but its x1000 better then anything else , plus they have adam n joe and whats not to like about them :(

As I've pointed out to various people - this exclusive information is from The Times. Ie. Murdoch. Ie. Completely ignorable.

6music isn't going to close - shutting down digital radio stations while trying to convince everyone to get a DAB radio before FM signals are shut down, which is really in the near future according to the plan, just isn't going to happen.

I've only recently discovered 6 music after being at a loss once Wogan ended his am show and I was so impressed, I've now put it on the freeview box during the evenings and weekends at home.

No more Javis Cocker's Sunday service ;)

WHERE'S THE INTERNET PETITION! :(

As I've pointed out to various people - this exclusive information is from The Times. Ie. Murdoch. Ie. Completely ignorable.

And the person that wrote the report it is based on? To quote the BBC site:

Between PA and McKinsey, John worked in, and went on to run, the Opposition Policy Unit, working with the Shadow Cabinet and writing various published reports including The Children Left Behind, No Child Left Behind, Unskilled Labour and The Drivers Of Regulation series.

Such a load of bullshit.

I blame George "epic cunt" Lamb. He's like the bastard offspring of steve wright and hale & pace. Having him on in the morning has tarnished the start to my weekends.

Hm. I might have to rethink my earlier optimism. This is from today, after the twitter-storm about saving 6music:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressrele...statement.shtml

The BBC issued a press statement at 4.00pm today (26 February 2010).

"Last summer, the BBC Trust challenged the BBC to develop a new strategy to meet the opportunities and the threats of the rapidly changing media landscape.

"Although the details have yet to be agreed – and today's press speculation is therefore premature – the BBC expects to present its proposals to the BBC Trust in the near future.

"At the core of the strategy will be a renewed commitment to serving the British public with programmes and services of the highest quality. Audiences admire and value the BBC's digital services and the BBC will remain fully committed to online and to digital television and radio.

"But the new strategy will lay out ways of focusing and concentrating licence fee investment on areas and services which are distinctive and best fulfil the BBC's public purposes, which meet the expectations of licence-payers but also leave plenty of space for commercial media providers."

BBC Press Office

Sounds bleak.

Real shame, irritating as fuck too as stuff like 6 Music is what the bbc is there to provide. They better put Adam and Joe on one of the other BBC stations, they are way too talented to be left in the wilderness.

Yeah, I'll definitely be sad to see 6 Music go, but I'm fairly sure that the BBC would keep Adam & Joe on some other station.

Asian Network will go if 6music does. 1extra seems oddly unaffected, considering it gets less listeners. Possibly its budget comes out of Radio 1, maybe?

I'd have thought 6 Music and the Asian Network were precisely what the BBC should be providing - like R3 & R4 they fill minority niches so serve the public interest even if most people don't listen to them. If they want to close down stations that could (arguably) be provided (nearly) as well by commercial broadcasters, then they should hack away at Radios 1, 2 and 5.

Scottr couldn't be more right. It's a plan cooked up by the same guy who wrote the Tories' 2005 manifesto. The logic of this move is infuriating - rather than commercial broadcasters having to improve their programming to compete with the BBC, the solution is to instead make the BBC considerably shitter so they have a better chance. A real win for the consumer!

Predictable response from the Tories.

Ed Vaizey, the shadow culture minister, has today welcomed early indications that the BBC's strategic review would curtail its activities.

Vaizey said the Conservatives wanted "a smaller BBC", but did not want "to beat up the BBC". He added that proposals to close digital stations 6 Music and the Asian Network and cut back the BBC website, reported in today's Times, were "intelligent and sensible".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/2...vaizey-bbc-cuts

Cunts.

Hopefully this is somehow all just a cunning plan by the BBC to cut the Tories poll lead even further.

I'll be amongst the first to dance on David Cameron's grave if they somehow manage to lose this election.