The parts the developers didn't want you to see

Popo

I thought of this while reading the Perfect Dark thread. Someone posted about a 'secret island' in Goldeneye that you could get to - you could only get to it using Action Replay, but a few people including myself were surprised. What was it placed there for? How do you see it? Who placed it there? I started thinking and wondered "I wonder if there are lots more of these secret islands out there?"

The ghostly absence of interactable things, often incomplete surfaces and usually lack of collision makes these little 'secret islands' both mysterious and interesting - with an adventurous spirit, I want to go fourth and discover more of these secret islands, located in places god (aka the developers) thought we would never find them, much less go to them.

The most famous one I know of is the secret island in Grand Theft Auto 3.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It was the small space used during the opening cinematic, hidden behind the mountains. Discovering it made me feel quite satisfied! As it was only used for a cinematic, there is no collision detection and as I recall, if you moved into certain areas you would simply fall through the floor into the Netherworld... :(

Anyway, are there any others out there? Any secret islands, easter eggs, malfunctions or exploits in other games that let the player into parts they simply were not meant to see?

I recall most games running on the Doom engine having secret areas storing assorted enemies. I don't think there was a spawn enemy function in the game, so every time one appeared from nowhere it was just teleported from one of these little rooms. The only way you'd see them would be by opening the map in an editor or clipping through walls.

cant remember the exact stage, but in mario sunshine, there was a stage in a big glass bottle.

at the bottom there was a stack of blocks, if you positioned the camera properly you could see there was a door inside it. but no way to get to it.

There's a few in Shadow of the Colossus including a vast underground castle and other areas you shouldn't be able to reach.

Yeah, there was a bunch of videos up on Youtube from some complete obsessive who'd spent way too much time getting to some very out-of-the-way bits of geometry.

The most famous one I know of is the secret island in Grand Theft Auto 3.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It was the small space used during the opening cinematic, hidden behind the mountains. Discovering it made me feel quite satisfied! As it was only used for a cinematic, there is no collision detection and as I recall, if you moved into certain areas you would simply fall through the floor into the Netherworld... :(

Anyway, are there any others out there? Any secret islands, easter eggs, malfunctions or exploits in other games that let the player into parts they simply were not meant to see?

I spent so long finding that secret island :unsure:

Took aaaaages to get the hang of flying the dodo but i eventually managed it. god, that was way back when i could afford to piss about for months on end finding every secret in GTA3. Reminds me of what an incredible game it was, and how little free time i have now compared to then :(

The entire FFVII and FFVIII developer debug rooms. They certainly did not want people to know the entire game was on each disc, fmv aside. Theres a lot of scenes accessible via the test menu's that weren't playable. Unused dialog for Aeris for example

sa_snow4.jpg

or just randomness in the debug room

sp_aeris06.jpg

Not really a hidden area, but I remember in Driver on the PS1 you could launch your car over the roofs of the buildings, which would cause the game engine to flake out completely, causing the car to fall forever through a psychadelic lightshow of lo-res brick work and pavement.

Also Wipeout on the PS1, if you hit certain areas of the track you cold pass through the edge, and fly off into the ether, if you were quick enough you could turn around and view the whole track from outside.

I loved that the PS1 was such a glitchy piece of crap.

That island in GoldenEye was supposedly there because you were going to sail there in a boat to get something, before returning to the Dam and jumping off. But they decided that made the first level too long and complicated.

Speaking of Shadow of the Colossus, I think nearly everyone must have tried to climb the castle to get to the garden at the top (where the end cutscenes take place). You had to have killed the colossi loads of times and killed nearly every lizard to have the strength to climb up there.

In GTA: San Andreas, people found a way to get to that snowy corner of Liberty City that one mission takes place in.

And of course, Rockstar North loved putting in easter eggs too. GTAIII's "You weren't supposed to get here, you know", the beating heart in the Statue of Happiness, etc.

Clipping around most games can be fun. The developers commentary for Half-Life 2 episodes 2 and 3 talk about how there are secret rooms. Whenever someone is talking to you through a monitor, or there's a G-man cutscene, they are set up in a little room at the side of the map. So if you clip around at the trainyard at the beginning of HL2, you'll reach the Black Mesa Test Chamber from the first game, because it's used in the opening cutscene.

There was a secret 'ammo dump' miles away from the town in either Ant Attack or Zombie Zombie, I can't recall which. An initial squizz on Youtube reveals nothing though - which isn't surprising, I guess.

Pretty certain that's in Ant Attack, there's also a plane hidden in the graphics that wasn't used...

Mercury Meltdown on PSP has lots of extra levels hidden in there.

Not really a hidden area, but I remember in Driver on the PS1 you could launch your car over the roofs of the buildings, which would cause the game engine to flake out completely, causing the car to fall forever through a psychadelic lightshow of lo-res brick work and pavement.

Also Wipeout on the PS1, if you hit certain areas of the track you cold pass through the edge, and fly off into the ether, if you were quick enough you could turn around and view the whole track from outside.

I loved that the PS1 was such a glitchy piece of crap.

They were hardly the PS1's fault1 More the fault of the useles,, brain-dead monkeys that Sony hired to work in their QA department. I mean, how hard is it to check these things, the useless tossers!?!

I tested both of these games for SCEE...

Wasn't it Driver 1 that had that hidden Newcastle city?

A game I worked on, Battlestar Galactica (Xbox/PS2) had a cutscene with hundreds of cylon raiders advancing towards the camera. The actual ship formations, viewed top-down in the editor, said 'FUCK U UV' referring to Universal Vivendi, the publishers on that sorrowfully misdirected and mis-marketed title. B)

Not a secret level as such, but same ballpark.

The secret island in Test Drive Unlimited was well hidden too... had to drive up a mountain and then randomly reverse around until you hit the invisible portal... The track you found was ace too - if a little excessive on the altitude changes ;)

I'll let someone else youtube it, as I'm stuck at work.

There was a secret 'ammo dump' miles away from the town in either Ant Attack or Zombie Zombie, I can't recall which. An initial squizz on Youtube reveals nothing though - which isn't surprising, I guess.

The ammo crate ;) I remember finding that and wondering what the hell it was out in the middle of nowhere. More to the point, why did I turn around and run into the nothingness rather than into the city in the first place? I emailed Sandy White about 10 or so years ago it before he'd been interviewed in Edge or Retro Gamer. He was kind enough to reply to tell me what it was and that due to the way his engine worked it had to be drawn somewhere.

A game I worked on, Battlestar Galactica (Xbox/PS2) had a cutscene with hundreds of cylon raiders advancing towards the camera. The actual ship formations, viewed top-down in the editor, said 'FUCK U UV' referring to Universal Vivendi, the publishers on that sorrowfully misdirected and mis-marketed title. B)

Not a secret level as such, but same ballpark.

Ah, this reminds me of the secret room in Halo - on the bridge of the main ship, if you start gunning people down, a squad of troopers come to stop you but if you're quick enough you can go into the small room they appear from and there's a small message on the wall, although I forget what it said...