Half Minute Hero

Yobo Ahoy

I'm not sure if I'm just massively late to the party* or the only one playing this, but I had a little read-up on it last week and had a few bits and bobs lying around to trade in so I decided to take the plunge... from what I've played so far it's utterly fantastic.

Basically there's four different types of character stories to play through and each quest only lasts 30 seconds. I've only done the 'Hero' part so far - various items and paying the time Goddess to rewind the clock seems to be the key, and everything is presented in NES-style 8bit graphics apart from the odd still illustration here and there. Oh and after each quick quest the credits roll. It's one of the most adorable games I've ever played, I want to pinch its cheek and ruffle its hair.

I've probably explained that really badly, so have a look at this:

(*Only released in retail PAL land yesterday apparently... I did do a search but I could only find a few mentions in January's Edge thread where there seemed to be a bit of confusion over digital downloads; in case you were wondering, US since 21st October and UK since 18th February.)

So, anyone else playing it?

YYeah just been playing this for the last hour or so, very enjoyable. The shortness of the levels makes it very more-ish. Only really tried hero mode so far, there are 2 other modes available at the start and some locked stuff as well [dont know how they get unlocked - presumably by completing the other modes].

Played this and got right up to Knight 30, when I really didn't gel with the game type, and couldn't get past the third or fourth level.

A shame too, i really wanted to get to Hero 300 and Hero 3, because I loved that gametype.

The whole game is beautifully packaged, a real nostalgic vibe, and great humour that got some real life laughs out of me. Well worth a punt for the price it's at!

I got this the other day and I've been finding it incredibly compulsive. You level up and complete quests so effortlessly that there's always the feeling that you could do one more before you switch off...and another...and another. :lol: I didn't play the Japanese demo for too long so I didn't know how much I'd like this, and admittedly I'm worried that it could get a bit samey in time, but right now it's quite enjoyable.

Decided to give the hero part a break and do the EvilLord section... I don't really understand what's going on a lot of the time, but it's all a bit silly and does make me laugh rather a lot. Plus there's a character called 'Bill The Assassin', which amuses me much more than it probably should for some reason.

I completed the Hero 30 mode today, and the last chapter was absolutely epic...it just kept going and going, with several minibosses, a few "it's over now, right?" false endings, some sub-missions and an ever-rising fee at the Goddess Statue. :wub: (Not to mention an epic grind that pushed my level into the 60s by the end) The other modes haven't really grabbed me as much yet, but at least I can give them a proper look now. I think that it's a game you either "get" or you don't - you either think "is that all there is to this?" or (as I said above) you just find it really compulsive and can't put the thing down.

I was enjoying the Hero mode too much so bearing in mind how bad some people seem to think the other modes are, I thought I'd get those out of the way first... EvilLord was actually reasonably enjoyable, but I'm now 30-odd% through Princess and it just seems... boring, for want of a better word. Still retains its charm in places but doesn't really grab me.

Just got this now after reading about it in this thread.

Only on the second quest on the Hero mode but i have to say i'm impressed with the quirkiness of it so far.

I am going to try and spend some quality time with the game.

I'll share more thoughts as i play through it.

Quick question, after going to the site i see you can sign up to have your stats logged anyone know exactly how to do this?

Half Minute Heroes

I can't seem to find the code it wants from me, that's supposedly in the options menu?

EDIT: OK i now see on the site it says North America only! Any ideas on if theirs going to be a European one or where i am meant to find the code?

Oh and a quick tip to anyone playing, this game seems to have no auto save feature.

As i found out the hard way you have to goto the menu screen and select "save"

Thanks for the tip. I played the demo at the weekend and ordered a copy from Amazon as soon as I'd completed it, so you may have saved me great pain when it arrives.

Thanks for the tip. I played the demo at the weekend and ordered a copy from Amazon as soon as I'd completed it, so you may have saved me great pain when it arrives.

I did ten levels last night, till the wee hours of the morning only to turn it on ten minutes ago and find i had nothing saved.

If there in fact is an auto save feature someone please let me know how to turn the bastard feature on.