Civilization V

God, performance on mine is a dog. I've a Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB RAM and an 8800GT but it's shite. Guess it's the graphics card that's the problem so might switch it out for a GTX460. Anyone know of any magic settings that will up performance? The game also crashes frequently once you get towards the endgame.

Apparently the newest beta Nvidia drivers have helped to speed up performance if you haven't tried them yet.

Still getting crashes every now and again, can't play a Huge map beyond 200 turns or so without it crashing.

Getting up towards 100 hours playing though (I'm well over including the time I played the demo), it really is pretty much taking over my life at the moment.

Shift+Enter should fix it.

Thanks (no manual to flick through on the Steam version).

I ended up nuking Alexander's capital because he'd spent the entire game being bitchy to me and messing with my beloved City-State friends. Thing is, there didn't seem to be any repurcussions for using a nuke. Yes it blasted several tiles, and mousing over them described them as 'Fallout' but it didn't affect the yields, and I was able to go in, build improvements and work the tiles as normal. I thought nuking should be the last-resort military solution to just annihilate an enemy. I remember using a nuke in IV being a big deal politically.

Patch notes for the upcoming patch. It looks pretty comprehensive. I think I'll hold off playing any further games until it goes live.

You guys have been asking for an update about what we're working on to improve the game, and today I am happy to give it to you.

This is the list of updates to the game that the developers have been working on the past couple weeks. This isn't necessarily the complete patch notes for the next patch, but it's what I have so far.

Keep in mind that these are just the first batch of changes that will go in to the first major patch. We're planning more improvements (such as the much-asked-for Hotseat and Pitboss) that will be coming in a later patch.

UI

• Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.
  • Aircraft banner corrections – now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
  • Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.
  • Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.
  • Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.
  • Fix for full-screen game when running dual monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the “open” side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.
  • Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.
  • Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen. Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.
  • Auto-populate save menu with save file name
  • Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen
  • Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen

MODDING

• Category list now displays correctly

GAMEPLAY

• Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don’t change what you decide was best for a plot).
  • Workers - Fixed bug where number of turns to complete were incorrect in build action button tool-tip.
  • Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.
  • Economy – Increased city wealth setting to 25%
  • Economy – Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.
  • Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).
  • Trade – Found and corrected a Trade problem that could cause your Resource inventory to multiply.
  • City States - Fixed a bug where you could not gift aircraft to city states.
  • Military - Medic promotion now only provides healing bonus for adjacent units.
  • Military – Fix for Minuteman movement.
  • Military – Correct promotions for “archer-like” units (horse archers, chariots).
  • Military - Embarked units will no longer slow enemy land units
  • Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.
  • Balance - Engineers +1 hammer

AI

• Military – Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.) .
  • Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often
  • Military – Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces
  • Diplomacy – AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.
  • Diplomacy – Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).
  • City – City specialization and city focus improvements.
  • City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected
  • Workers – Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements
  • Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

MULTIPLAYER

• Exploit – Fix for gifting unit exploit
  • Chat – Color-coding, sound alerts, etc., added for in-game chat system, including a larger window.
  • Deals – Additional deal validation put in place to verify deals before they are committed

MISC

• Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
  • Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
  • Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
  • Map – Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
  • Map – Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)
  • Strategic View – Crash fix for units rendering in background.
  • Strategic View – Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.
  • Eyefinity – Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.
  • Tutorials – Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.
  • Multiple crash fixes.

When the patch is actually released (no ETA right now; I'm working on that!) I'll unstick and close this thread.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94438

• Upvote 1

One thing, and perhaps I'm being daft here, but there doesn't seem to be any progress graphs once you finish the game. I used to love those, you could go in and work out where you did stuff wrong or right and delight at the exact point where you capsized another civilization. Can't imagine why they'd have taken that out but I can't for the life of me find it.

One thing, and perhaps I'm being daft here, but there doesn't seem to be any progress graphs once you finish the game. I used to love those, you could go in and work out where you did stuff wrong or right and delight at the exact point where you capsized another civilization. Can't imagine why they'd have taken that out but I can't for the life of me find it.

Yeah, I miss that!

Also they removed quite a few small things which I miss, like Satellites revealing the whole map, and some of the late-game Cultural Wonders giving you new luxury resources (I'll trade you my Babylonian Hit Musicals). I'm sure Modders can put those in though, the satellite one is available already.

DLC announced.

vtdrO.jpg

yAZKa.jpg

4HnAR.jpg

VAtD1.jpg

One will be free: the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack “calls for the strongest leaders to ride with Genghis Khan and his Mongol horsemen to establish the largest continuous land empire ever seen”.

The other – the Babylonian Civilization Pack – will sell for $4.99. The Babylonian pack was previously only available to players who bought the Civilization V Digital Deluxe edition, and puts you in the sandals of King Nebuchadnezzar II.

The packs are scheduled to be released through digital distribution channels only on October 25.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/18/civ-v-mongol-and-babylonian-dlc-launching-next-week/

:)

Edited by The Sarge
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I miss that!

Also they removed quite a few small things which I miss, like Satellites revealing the whole map, and some of the late-game Cultural Wonders giving you new luxury resources (I'll trade you my Babylonian Hit Musicals). I'm sure Modders can put those in though, the satellite one is available already.

I miss top 5 cities the most. It always felt like an achievement when you got all 5 in the other games.

I miss top 5 cities the most. It always felt like an achievement when you got all 5 in the other games.

I'd entirely forgotten about that. I really hope they get all the meta stuff like that, replays, victory stats, etc back in, they've been part of the series since Civ I.

The patch is live.

Final Patch Notes:

UI

* Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.

* Aircraft banner corrections - now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.

* Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.

* Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.

* Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.

* Fix for full-screen game when running dual monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the "open" side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.

* Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.

* Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen.

Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.

* Auto-populate save menu with save file name

* Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen

* Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen

* Added new tab to the Economic Overview Screen: "Resources & Happiness."

* Added option to activate the mp score list in single player (for "always up" score similar to Civ IV.)

* The Annex/Puppet/Raze popup now indicates how much extra Unhappiness will be assumed with each action.

* If there are less than 5 buildings still needed to construct a National Wonder, the production popup tool-tip now lists which cities lack them.

* Added Yield & Culture tool-tip info to the production popup.

* Tweak information on the Global Politics tab in the Diplomacy Overview screen.

MODDING

* Category list now displays correctly

* "Installed" panel now displays ALL versions of a mod but prevents the user from enabling multiple versions.

GAMEPLAY

* Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don't change what you decide was best for a plot).

* Workers - Fixed bug where number of turns to complete were incorrect in build action button tool-tip.

* Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.

* Economy - Increased city wealth setting to 25%

* Economy - Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.

* Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).

* Trade - Found and corrected a Trade problem that could cause your Resource inventory to multiply.

* City States - Fixed a bug where you could not gift aircraft to city states.

* Military - Medic promotion now only provides healing bonus for adjacent units.

* Military - Fix for Minuteman movement.

* Military - Correct promotions for "archer-like" units (horse archers, chariots).

* Military - Embarked units will no longer slow enemy land units

* Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.

* Balance - Engineers +1 hammer

* Balance - Disbanding units now provides only 10% of their production cost in gold.

* Request - Enable "one more turn" button if you lose, but are still alive.

AI

* Military - Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.).

* Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often

* Military - Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces

* Diplomacy - AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.

* Diplomacy - Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).

* City - City specialization and city focus improvements.

* City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected

* Workers - Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements

* Workers - Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

* City - Make sure Puppets don't construct buildings that require Resources.

* City - Add a Puppet city strategy that turns off training buildings and emphasizes gold.

* Military - Defensive tactical AI update. When you are at war and threatening an enemy city, the AI will better utilize the garrison, as well as the surrounding terrain in defense of the target city.

MULTIPLAYER

* Exploit - Fix for gifting unit exploit

* Chat - Color-coding, sound alerts, etc., added for in-game chat system, including a larger window.

* Deals - Additional deal validation put in place to verify deals before they are committed

MISC

* Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech

* Save/Load - Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.

* Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.

* Map - Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the "glowing red orbs" seen on the map are an indicator of this).

* Map - Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)

* Strategic View - Crash fix for units rendering in background.

* Strategic View - Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.

* Eyefinity - Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.

* Tutorials - Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.

* Multiple crash fixes.

* Taller than wide map crash fix.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is such an addictive game. I played for 6 hours straight today (it was going to be a quick 1 or 2 hour game to finish off a untouched save from a month ago)

I wasn't trying to be warlike, but early on Catherine The Great was hassling me about my empire expanding too close to hers. There wasn't much space between Gandhi, her, 4 odd city states and me on our continent, so I taught her a expensive lesson by capturing Moscow and leaving her landlocked.

Most of the game after that was spent in peace, I allied with a few city states and expanded to the 2nd continent where the Iroquois and Turks took an immediate dislike to me and my rapid expansion. George Washington was much friendlier but at the time he was losing a lot of cities in a war with the the Iroquois.

On the 2nd continent I managed to make it to about 1950 without starting a war. Things got interesting when the Turks declared war on Genoa. Even though I was allied with Genoa, I hadn't pledged any protection so I wasn't dragged into a fight. I did however steadily gift them with advanced weapons far beyond the Turkish technology and caused a land grab as Genoa razed 3 Turkish cities.

Unfortunately both the Iroquois and I made cities next to each other in this new space, and it seems that this was the final straw for them. They declared war on me along with the United States who must have had an agreement with them (even though I had supported the US while the Iroquois took half their cities. The bastards) this in turn caused all the city states I was allied with (6 or so by this point) to Delcare war on them both.

I sold a few cities to Gandhi, who hadn't yet made it to the 2nd continent, to create a buffer between me and the Iroquois(who were by far the biggest empire as far as land area was concerned). He in turn got pissed off with them and sided with me. It was pretty much World War by this point, but none of the other empires had advanced nearly as much as me, so i beat the Iroquois into surrender (with help from a Giant Death Robot gift from one of the city states) and managed a science victory.

Is there a bug with research somewhere? My son's playing a game where he just completed Optics and his units can't embark onto sea squares? In the Tech Tree it shows as yellow but says Progress 14/60 or something.

btw, I really miss the end of game progress graphs too, and the effect Culture had in 4. And Religion. Brilliant addition in 4 dropped for what reason?

Is there a bug with research somewhere? My son's playing a game where he just completed Optics and his units can't embark onto sea squares? In the Tech Tree it shows as yellow but says Progress 14/60 or something.

Was going to say your units have to go back into your territory after you've got Optics for them to get the embark ability...but it actually sounds like you haven't researched it from the latter part.

Not aware of any bugs on that issue.

Don't know what sort of rig you have but that runs like SHITE for me on a quad core with a Radeon HD 4830. DX9 is very quick. I haven't played a very large map though where I hear it takes quite a while to process other players towards the later stages (not sure what version people were playing who reported that)

the reviews on amazon are massively negative, thoughts?

If it's your first Civilization game, you'll probably love it. It's bright and accessible and really well laid out and a great introduction to the game.

If you're a long-standing fan of the series, though, you'll probably be disappointed (well, I am). It's been simplified a lot from the last version and a lot of good stuff has been chucked out for no good reason. I hate to use the word "dumbed down" but that's what it feels like to me.

• Upvote 1

The developers would say streamlined but I think they've gone a bit too far. I miss religion and spies especially. Its a bit short of polish as well - the lack of stats at the end and bonuses for things like sailing round the world are examples.

That said I can still play it for hours. It feels very much like an expanded version of revolution which is no bad thing.

• Upvote 1

If it's your first Civilization game, you'll probably love it. It's bright and accessible and really well laid out and a great introduction to the game.

If you're a long-standing fan of the series, though, you'll probably be disappointed (well, I am). It's been simplified a lot from the last version and a lot of good stuff has been chucked out for no good reason. I hate to use the word "dumbed down" but that's what it feels like to me.

Couldn't agree more. Had it on pre order for ages, sat up waiting for it to finally be unlocked and then went nuts. However, haven't touched it since the first week after it was released.. whereas with all the other Civ games, it took months before I'd even consider doing anything else. Sure, they've made it a little prettier, and the combat genuinely is a lot more fun and exciting, but they've just ripped too much out elsewhere for it to still be fun for me. Way too many turns spent just endlessly mashing the 'end turn' button with nothing else to do.. ineffectual diplomacy, utter lack of any form of micro or macro management, it just seems like a 'lite' version of good old Civ, fit for little more than wasting a few minutes at a time on an iphone while waiting for a bus or whatever. Or.. *shudder* facebook version.

Give me back my old Civ! :blah:

• Upvote 1

so which version is the one to get? 4? i haven't played civ since my amiga days, but i hate when newer versions of a game don't add anyting except 'prettier' graphics. Okay, i played the DS one as well, but i thought that was simplified way too much and just plain boring.

Civ 4 with the Beyond The Sword expansion was the peak as far as I am concerned. I very much liked how they handled espionage and random events that actually had an impact on the game in that one. And dominating the world through religion is always fun :wub:

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't say it was daft at all, to expect a sequel to be at least as good as its predecessor. I do think Civ 5 is great though, and at least as good as 4. I haven't played it a lot this year but it will happily replace 4 in my Steam favourites list and I can easily see me coming back to it again and again, for a long while yet.