Infamous 2 - Out Now!

The Sarge

The latest issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine (detailing Crysis 2) has a seemingly innocent feature called "Second to None" in its news section. Promising "the scoop on three hugely anticipated sequels slated for 2010," the magazine details Batman: Arkham Asylum 2, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, and inFamous 2.

Wait, what? If you didn't notice, one of these three games hasn't been officially announced. The magazine speculates that inFamous 2 will "[pick] up a significant time after the first game, offering a reshaped metropolis." A Sony representative shot down the magazine's report though, stating, "we do not comment on rumor or speculation."

While Sony remains hush about an inFamous sequel, it seems reasonable to assume that it's only a matter of time before the game comes to fruition. However, the 2010 date pegged by the magazine is likely speculation: The sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum, while announced, hasn't been dated for a release this year. Would both Rocksteady and Sucker Punch be able to turn over sequels to their summer blockbusters just one year after they release? And most importantly, would gamers even want that?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/10/ptom-rum...coming-in-2010/

Seems like a fast turn around, but most welcome. I've been itching to return to the first one to complete an 'evil' play through. There's certainly room for improvement though, I just hope they'd have the time to deliver a worthy successor in that time.

It was pretty good, maybe not the easiest game to get into as you say. It was definitely better than Prototype.

A lot of people say this, but I played Prototype twice in a row and absolutely loved it while I tried InFamous for hours and only got bored by it. InFamous felt clunky, uneventful and slow to me after the exhilarating rollercoaster ride that was Prototype.

But yeah, I should try it again. Maybe it needs to 'click'.

• 3 months later...

GI Cover for July

Ahxwj.jpg

In 2009, Sucker Punch Productions released Infamous, a super-powered sandbox game that was a drastic departure from the studio's well-known Sly Cooper franchise. Venturing into new territory paid off for Sucker Punch; the PS3-exclusive Infamous has sold nearly 2 million copies, providing a combination of mobility and electrical powers that makes gamers feel like a true superhero. For Infamous 2, the team hopes to raise the bar even higher. A new look for hero Cole MacGrath is just the first step; a new city, new powers, and a powerful new foe await you in Infamous 2, and you can read all about it our exclusive 10-page story.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/201..._5F00_9988.aspx

<_<

Does anyone really care? I played that game from start to finish when it came out, but now I barely remember that the game exists.

Aye, the very definition of vanilla gaming. Shame, as it seemed quite promising to begin with.

I really enjoyed the gecko-like traversal in inFamous, and whilst the game as a whole might not be a classic its a great base for a sequel. I could see this "doing an Assassin's Creed", as it were.

Oh, I also hope they thieve Santa Monica Studio's adaptive anti-aliasing as you could cut your corneas on the first game.

Red Faction Guerrilla came out around the same time as test two games (Prototype/infamous)

and is also quite similar.

RFG is by far the best

Quite similar in that you play the role of a man, yes.

inFAMOUS, Prototype and RFG were all entertaining but flawed. None of them really had that much personality.

I did really like the comic book cutscenes in inFAMOUS, though.

Of those three inFamous wins by a mile, using my taste for a judge <_< I really can not find an love for Prototype and Red Faction bores me. inFamous grabbed me and made me finish the story twice. Lovely game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

inFAMOUS, Prototype and RFG were all entertaining but flawed. None of them really had that much personality.

I did really like the comic book cutscenes in inFAMOUS, though.

I agree with you there. All of them coming out around the same few months (I think?) didn't help either. Put me off open world games for a while and I only put a couple of hours in each as none of them really captured me.

RDR has brought the open world love back though, so as long as Prototype 2 and RFG2 don't come out at the same time as I2 <_<, then I will give it another chance

Kind of funny that it seems I'm the only one who found Prototype a genuinely exciting and exhilarating game.

Maybe I'm going to play it again <_<

No you're not the only one, I adored Prototype too, was easily my favourite open world game of last year with The Saboteur a close second. I however enjoyed Infamous and Red Faction Guerilla an awful lot too, my only problem with Infamous was the terrible characters and story (until the end anyway) but I'd certainly be up for more.

I liked the plot twists in Infamous but it's meant to be the first part of the trilogy or something so the story never went far. I felt like if all of the Infamous' stories were condensed in one game I would've really liked it.

I also really enjoyed Prototype, storyline and characters were completely awful, but the game itself was alot of fun. currently playing through infamous at the moment, its good too but i prefer prototype.

imo infamous needs a crazy high vertical jump move to get around quicker, and to murk heads from the sky <_<

hopefully they'll upgradethe dudes power for the next 1, looking forward to more details.

I thought Prototype was brilliant for a few hours, and Alex is easily the most fun to control out of the protagonists in the three games discussed here, but it ends up escalating to a point about halfway through the game where it can do nothing more but chuck larger numbers of mutants and tanks at you. It's just too repetitive. Brilliant for a good few hours, mind.

inFAMOUS has a better sense of progression but the controls are a bit sticky at times and it has a couple of big difficulty spikes.

A lot of people say this, but I played Prototype twice in a row and absolutely loved it while I tried InFamous for hours and only got bored by it. InFamous felt clunky, uneventful and slow to me after the exhilarating rollercoaster ride that was Prototype.

But yeah, I should try it again. Maybe it needs to 'click'.

I played Infamous first, then Prototype.

One had a sense of fun, of being an overpowered superhero. The other thought "open world + electricity powers for common guns" and was worse for it - but critically came out as a PS3 exclusive during a drought. I'm not sure I particularly care for a sequel.

Some info from the GI preview (scans aren't yet)

According to the Game Informer article, they've decided to change his personality. This is what sounds like a good idea to them.

"The goal I have is to make a more appealing, more compelling main character," said Matthias Lorenz, art director.

"One of the things we looked at is what would an EXTREME sports star - like Travis Pastrana, Tony Hawk or Chris Sharma - what would they be like if they had super powers," said Billy Harper, animation lead. "We want him to be a little gritty, a little street, without the grumpiness.

Also, Cole picks up ice powers along the way, and Zeke is now MORE integrated into the story and gameplay. All the "jaw-dropping" moments will be done in cutscenes, not the comic book panel presentation from the first.

I got the gameinformer with a good look at the game. It takes place in a new city called New Marais. Its a fictional New Orleans. This isn't a younger cole its simply a re-designed cole with a new voice actor. Cole will be spending the time this game becoming a "super-super hero" in order to be able to beat the beast, he will be ramping up his power from the last game.

- From what I see, they have pulled in the camera.

- There are real cutscenes and the traditional comic strip narrative.

-You wont just jump up buildings but will construct ways to make it up buildings using objects to heighten that sense of exploration.

- There should be some new powers outside of electricity but he will still be the electric super hero.

- There is melee weapons.

- Zeke is more helpful.

- More people, cars and things happening in the game.

- Bigger bosses, promises to be meaner.

- A smoother morality system, not so black and white.

- Water kills you, tread lightly in swamps.

- Far more visually distinctive areas.

- Possibility of online functionality.

"We're able to have a much more empathetic narrative this time"

"It was a superhero game that you could get into and have a good time. The second game, if we do our jobs right, will hopefully give you a heart attack."

"Cole getting around - the marriage of parkour and superpowers - creates this incredible jungle gym of mobility. It becomes this landscape of opportunities when you can zip up a building, then find a wire that goes across empty space. You're making it up as you go, and you're stringing together these cool moves that allow you to dominate the space in a way that only Cole can do."

"There are bigger consequences to your choices, and it's not really obvious what's good and bad."

"Morality is certainly a big part of the product." "And we are committed to making it impactful and meaningful, and have it be something you feel is responsive to how you're playing the game."

:)