IGNORED

Nier

Joyrex-J9

Goddamn pink shiny box boss :wacko:

What boss is that, I turned it off last night just before a boss battle I believe. Made it to the bottom of the Junk Heap and right before a nice big circular room.

Nice of them to put a save point there though.

What boss is that, I turned it off last night just before a boss battle I believe. Made it to the bottom of the Junk Heap and right before a nice big circular room.

Nice of them to put a save point there though.

I'm a bit further on from you and annoyed with myself at spunking health items earlier in this particular dungeon so I've nowt left after stage one of this boss fight and no way of exiting to replemish supplies.

Hate to sound like a lolmaster but if you're going to talk any more about future bosses then maybe use spoiler tags :( Not that you've spoiled anything yet - I'm just worried that I'll read something, considering the crazy twists this game has. Maybe I should stop reading the thread :wacko:

I'm a bit further on from you and annoyed with myself at spunking health items earlier in this particular dungeon so I've nowt left after stage one of this boss fight and no way of exiting to replemish supplies.

Is this the

Facade ( Rez style ) boss

?

Didn't find it difficult. Just stayed at a distance and shot at the pink boxes using the Lance magic. The bullets are dodgeable, and just jump when he smashes his hands down.

Is this the

Facade ( Rez style ) boss

?

Didn't find it difficult. Just stayed at a distance and shot at the pink boxes using the Lance magic. The bullets are dodgeable, and just jump when he smashes his hands down.

That's the one. Might try the lance next time.

Yeah, lances are the best way to go on that bit.

I forget where I am exactly - running a few errands for the Two Brothers Weaponry at the Junk Heap - but I'm probably going through it at a fair pace considering how much time I'm spending on it. :blink:

Yeah, lances are the best way to go on that bit.

Lances make it much much easier.

Bit hard to talk much openly about this game presently but all I would say is it is not a DMC or GOW type of game at all - there are no combos or QTEs involved in combat whatsoever - just a case of selecting the best magic and weapon set with some good classic RPG play forcing you to switch around from time to time so you don't feel stuck in a rut.

This was reduced in my local Asdas to £27 or thereabouts from £34. I was sorely tempted to pick it up, but they also had Batman for £15 and I was there to get SSFIV as well, so I couldnt afford to sadly. Might be worth having a look if people are still after this cheap.

I'm like, what, maybe 8 hours in or something and it fluctuates from being literally the most boring game ever to suddenly being really interesting to suddenly being really boring to suddenly being awesome and whoaaa etc. Strange. Oh oldskool Japanese game development, how dead you are.

I completed this after about 20 hours and yeah, Rudderless's review is pretty much spot on (though I would have scored it lower) It's not as bonkers as people would want you to believe either. The overall schizophrenic approach to level design does the game no favours as every segment feels undercooked and a bit plain. The

"text adventure" bit was sleep inducing. The "Resident Evil" bit boring and wholly soulless.

Some nice ideas hidden in there though, and there were one or two interesting boss designs. But most of it was very boring.

It actually reminded me a bit of the first Goemon game on N64, with its mix of lite RPG fetch quests, 'bullet hell' enemies and room layouts etc. Only nowhere near as charming. Or colourful.

Oh god the melodrama. The constant, weeping melodrama. Also, the main character is just the wettest fish. He doesn't come across as a steadfast brute like he's supposed too, just needlessly kind. And ultimately, plain retarded. I didn't feel cool playing as him at all. There's a New Story+ or whatever to play once you've finished, but I don't think I'll ever return to Nier. My memories of it will be clouded by tedium. :)

I've got really stuck into it. The main character does come across as a 12 year old American though, what with exclaiming every new event with 'Aww craaap', 'that's crap!', and 'DAMNIT!'.

I sort of love it for quirks like that, though. And Weiss :D

I'm at that part now, and it has almost put me off the game to be honest. No health items left, no way of exiting, and no way to kill any bad guys for health drops. Really shitty piece of design I think. Not impressed at all with the whole section :/

I'm fucking loving this - not been so addicted to a game since Fallout 3. If you go into it looking for God of War-style combat then it's bound to be disappointing, but for an action RPG the combat is pretty damn good. There's something really compulsive about the sidequests, even though they're super-simplistic, and some of the turns it makes are brilliant. And I <3 Kaine.

That this has been so unloved in the press has convinced me that games journalism is now officially irrelevant. Cavia have, shock horror, actually managed to make a decent game - they deserve some love for it.

That this has been so unloved in the press has convinced me that games journalism is now officially irrelevant.

That's a pretty silly statement to make, especially given that most reviews have expressed admiration for what it does get right. Edge gets it spot on - it does a lot of things reasonably well, but nothing brilliantly. It's just that few people have been as tolerant of its flaws as you clearly are.

Kotaku loved Nier. Nier has been my favourite RPG of the year so far; it mixes things up and the story is actually genuinely interesting.

Whilst it adopts many RPG traits, the game doesn't punish you for not adhereing to standard RPG conventions, such as having to grind away in order to beat a boss for example. You can grind away killing "shades" to your hearts content, but I wouldn't advise it personally.

Oh, the Forest of Myth is superb. Probably the most basic of gameplay elements implemented, but one I really enjoyed.

That's a pretty silly statement to make, especially given that most reviews have expressed admiration for what it does get right. Edge gets it spot on - it does a lot of things reasonably well, but nothing brilliantly. It's just that few people have been as tolerant of its flaws as you clearly are.

Or, I don't perceive them as flaws.

Okay, let me rephrase that - I am losing faith in score-based journalism (and have never had any faith in the meta-aggregation of it). Most of the reviews don't feel like the score matches the text. Yours included.

Or, rather: your review made me think the game wasn't worth touching. Kotaku's review made me feel like there was a lot of special stuff hidden underneath it. I never, ever thought I'd praise Kotaku, but there we have it: yours felt largely negative, theirs inspired me to want to play it.

Which, actually, when I think of it like that, means that maybe your text *does* match your score. Which is something I suppose

Or, I don't perceive them as flaws.

There's no choice with some of them. Anyone can see that the fishing bit is an absolutely terrible piece of design, for example.

Maybe I was a little harsh on Nier, I just felt its ideas weren't matched by the execution. And for every time it does something bold and inventive, it throws in something utterly generic. The majority of the sidequests are awful.

EDIT: And it's just a difference of opinion. I've no idea why Nier getting a few low marks means you should lose faith in score-based journalism. Particularly as a number of sites have given it very positive reviews (Videogamer and the Telegraph to name but two).

Maybe I was a little harsh on Nier, I just felt its ideas weren't matched by the execution. And for every time it does something bold and inventive, it throws in something utterly generic. The majority of the sidequests are awful.

Nah if anything, you were too lenient. I thought it was just too shoddy to enjoy properly.

Any of the unique story line angles and 'crazy' stuff quickly descend into melodramatic anime cliche where literally every character grieves about someone, and masters their destiny every 10 minutes. It didn't help that the voice casting was just too much to take.. I wanted to punch the screen everytime the Prince spoke. Grimoire Weiss was almost good but they ruined his character by constantly having him repeat the same, tired English tea drinking stereotypes. Which would have all been perfectly fine and acceptable if the game itself was fun. But it wasn't.

I think the main thing that pissed me off was how it was put together. That hilarious fishing mini game really is a good example.

Edit: Tried the New Story B that unlocks when you complete the main game

and hilariously, you have to sit through 20 minutes of tedious, unskippable text on a black screen before you can even begin. Then you have to replay some missions you've already done before you can move on, it's all soo repetetive.

Ugh.

I thought Weiss was pretty good, although I think he sometimes got a bit too swept up in the (melo)drama now and then - I prefer him when he's reeling off biting and sarcy comments about everyone... :)

Nah if anything, you were too lenient. I thought it was just too shoddy to enjoy properly.

Any of the unique story line angles and 'crazy' stuff quickly descend into melodramatic anime cliche where literally every character grieves about someone, and masters their destiny every 10 minutes. It didn't help that the voice casting was just too much to take.. I wanted to punch the screen everytime the Prince spoke. Grimoire Weiss was almost good but they ruined his character by constantly having him repeat the same, tired English tea drinking stereotypes. Which would have all been perfectly fine and acceptable if the game itself was fun. But it wasn't.

I think the main thing that pissed me off was how it was put together. That hilarious fishing mini game really is a good example.

Edit: Tried the New Story B that unlocks when you complete the main game

and hilariously, you have to sit through 20 minutes of tedious, unskippable text on a black screen before you can even begin. Then you have to replay some missions you've already done before you can move on, it's all soo repetetive.

Ugh.

See, I think it's down to how much you invest in the story. The reason it got a 6 from me despite its shonky mechanics was that I liked a lot of what it did. You do repeat a fair bit of stuff to get Ending B, but it also gives you a chance to mop up any sidequests you might not have finished, and the story stuff is genuinely quite revelatory, particularly in light of the twist at the end. And the combat's more fun by that stage as you're over-levelled and can whizz through it all much quicker.

Just finished it earlier, loved it from beginning to end. Couldn't really put it down. Probably my fav rpg in awhile, going straight back to it to get the other endings. I didn't have a problem with the fishing personally once i sussed it. The soundtrack is on my to buy list.

Just finished it earlier, loved it from beginning to end. Couldn't really put it down. Probably my fav rpg in awhile, going straight back to it to get the other endings. I didn't have a problem with the fishing personally once i sussed it. The soundtrack is on my to buy list.

Ending B's certainly worth doing.

About Ending A... **Big spoilers**

Pretty fucking bleak, innit? Most RPGs have some minor characters dying along the way, but few get rid of significant ones you've grown to like with such ruthlessness, giving the sense that you've sacrificed a lot to get there. Heck, Emil's entire arc is basically one big Greek tragedy. The revelation at the end which seems to be dealt with all too briefly is explored more thoroughly in Ending B.

And yeah, the soundtrack's wonderful. Lovely touch when it changes as you're in the tavern with Devola and her singing then stops when you start talking to her and fades back in when you're leaving.