IGNORED

The best, worst, and most ridiculous weapons in games

Lothar Hex

I rather like the 357 Magnum in Half Life 2.

I think it was more satisfying in the original Half-Life. I also preferred the rocket launcher in the original, I loved the way the rockets would slow down in water like little torpedoes.

The shotgun has always been brilliant in Resi games. In fact, the shotgun and the big magnum (with barrel extension) in Resi 2 might have been the most satisfying weapons ever.

No mention of the Fat Man from Fallout 3 yet? That was faintly ridiculous. Loved the little mini mushroom clouds.

EDIT: no mention of Dead Rising yet either?

No mention of the Fat Man from Fallout 3 yet? That was faintly ridiculous. Loved the little mini mushroom clouds.

Handheld nukes are always fun. I've only got the demo of Crysis, but I've spent far too long in the demo's Sandbox editor placing TAC Guns along the shoreline:

Although it does look a bit weird when enemies somehow survive point blank shots from it! Maybe it's because I don't use it in the actual game, but in the Sandbox editor's in-game view window, and it cuts corners in its calculations in that mode. Or maybe it cuts corners so it will run on my PC. :angry:

How could I forget that? ;) Great weapon. Even though there seems to be a bizarre bug (in PAL DMC3SE) where too much button-bashing with it makes my gun targeting reticule disappear.

As for the worst: the sniper rifle from Killzone 1, for achieving the remarkable (possibly unique?) feat of being an FPS in which the sniper rifle is the least fun weapon in the game.

The reason is that while every other gun uses the standard modern FPS zoom aiming system where the reticle always stays centred on the screen, the sniper rifle uses the old-fashioned system where the reticle can be moved around the screen, and if you push it to the edge the whole screen scrolls, and then springs back to the centre when you release the stick.

As much as I love GoldenEye, even I have to admit that that sort of FPS aiming system is very dated and impractical. So it was a bizarre decision to use it in Killzone just on the weapon where you need most accuracy.

It's not helped by the fact that the aiming sensitivity is horribly calibrated on that gun (even more so than throughout the rest of the game). I blame the developers, not the Dual Shock hardware.

Unreal Tournament had a few standout ones for me. Everyone talks about the redeemer, and for good reason. But the Ripper was pretty sweet, fire it into a wall at a angle and watch/hear it fly all over the place. Stacking up 8 rockets at once was pretty cool at the time as well.

Doom - "Big Fucking gun" BFG9000. completely mental at the time - takes out an entire room of cannon fodder in one shot.

Duke3d - freeze/shrink gun!