IGNORED

Retro Gamer - Issue 73

NonShinyGoose

Black front cover this month with Sabre Man on it.

Retro Shamer - Rise of the Robots

Cheap as Chips - Two Crude Dudes

The Makings of...Return Fire, Simon (the handheld!), Return of the Jedi and Dan Dare

Retro Revivals - Super Monaco GP, Burger Time, Harvest Moon

From the Achieves - Durell Software

In the Chair With...Martyn Brown

Also: a feature on arcade games that were never converted to home consoles

Next month: David Braben, Spy vs Spy, Ghouls & Ghosts and the SAM Coupe

I just flicked though it and it's one of those issues that was pretty much designed for me to read. It's really packed with stuff I have a great interest in, especially the Colecovision feature and Sabreman. I saw on Joystiq how Rare were looking into their back catalogue of games and all the comments on the story were 'bring back Battletoads'. F**k that sh*t in the NES shaped bin! We want Sabreman back please!

So what notable arcade machines do they mention as never having a home conversion? as there are a fair amount of them to choose from.

It's console version not home version. I'm guessing

The Simpsons

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder

R-Type Leo

Planet Harriers

Virtua Cop 3

Scud Race

Daytona 2

Star Wars Trilogy

X Men

Rave Racer

And probably a whole load of 80's stuff.

It's console version not home version. I'm guessing

Planet Harriers

Virtua Cop 3

Planet Harriers was a Hikaru. Very expensive high end hardware. The 360 and Ps3 should have no trouble, Dc/PS2/Xbox might have struggled

I never understood Virtua cop though, it's Chihiro, so should have run great on xbox. Maybe HOTD3 didn't do the numbers?

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is on their list. I'd have added Captain Commando as well.

Good issue from the look of it! Only had chance to open mine, not actually read anything.

Captain Commando is on the SNES and PSOne plus thePS2,Xbox and PSP Capcom Classics compilations.

I enjoyed the Sabreman article and I have heard the Knight Lore story before, that the Stamper brothers had finished the game and held it back but I'm sure JPickford always called bollocks on that. It's so hard to believe that they'd have such a revolutionary game and risk holding it back for so long - had some one else pipped them to the post it wouldn't have seemed half as amazing. Imagine if Head Over Heels had turned up before they got Knight Lore out the door?

I enjoyed the Sabreman article and I have heard the Knight Lore story before, that the Stamper brothers had finished the game and held it back but I'm sure JPickford always called bollocks on that. It's so hard to believe that they'd have such a revolutionary game and risk holding it back for so long - had some one else pipped them to the post it wouldn't have seemed half as amazing. Imagine if Head Over Heels had turned up before they got Knight Lore out the door?

I dunno though games could be programmed in a couple of months to that pedigree and with looking at the current market I'm sure they were't too worried about being pipped to the post. Add to the way the company was viewed in the market they would have wanted to keep up a steady stream of improved releases and Sabreman would have been a back step for sure.

That's what I never quite got about Underwurlde. Graphically it wasn't even as pretty as Sabrewulf (though more advanced gameplay-wise), yet was released at roughly the same time as Knight Lore. I remember them both being in the same issue of Crash. If that was the case with Sabrewulf, why not do the same with Underwurlde and release it six month before Knight Lore? (especially given that one ending of Underwurlde lead to Knight Lore).

Maybe Underwurlde wasn't finished until Knight Lore was done and they figured why not have two big releases for Christmas as opposed to one? One Knight Lore got out, releasing Underwurlde later would have looked like a step backwards.

Not asking these questions to you Lorf, or anyone else, more just shooting the breeze :wub: