rllmuk
Vemsie

Vanquish

I never understood the fuss about Vanquish. You ran out of boost so quickly that after that it basically felt like any other cover shooter. I even watched high score videos and what not to see if I was playing it wrong, but apparently not. 

I’ve got it through Games With Gold. Maybe I should give it another go. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I never understood the fuss about Vanquish. You ran out of boost so quickly that after that it basically felt like any other cover shooter. I even watched high score videos and what not to see if I was playing it wrong, but apparently not. 

I’ve got it through Games With Gold. Maybe I should give it another go. 

I spent most of my time boosting to things and triggering the slow mo and it was AWESOME!

8 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I spent most of my time boosting to things and triggering the slow mo and it was AWESOME!

The problem was that you then spend lots of time either hiding behind boxes or dodge rolling as you wait for your boost to recharge.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The problem was that you then spend lots of time either hiding behind boxes or dodge rolling as you wait for your boost to recharge.

Does it recharge if you chain attacks? Like kicking off enemies and the like. It's been so long I can't remember. That said I do remember the boost warning siren a lot from playing it :)

6 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Does it recharge if you chain attacks? Like kicking off enemies and the like. It's been so long I can't remember. That said I do remember the boost warning siren a lot from playing it :)

I don't think it does, which was something I never really understood.

• Upvote 2

it's just risk / reward - your boost recharges really quickly if you stop using it before it runs out, and recharges quite slowly if you let it hit empty and your suit has to vent heat. You have to balance the risk of  taking out just a couple more enemies in slowmo with the risk you'll run out and be left vulnerable.

The melee stuff is a bit counterintuitive, and doesn't work super-well to be brutally honest. I think Mikami said that they'd wanted to have a much more elaborate and complex melee system, but didn't have time to properly balance it, so had to settle for melee hits being a final coup de gras you deliver at the end of a battle, rather than something you would use throughout. The weapon upgrade system is similarly daft. It's an amazing game, but it has its flaws.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, K said:

it's just risk / reward - your boost recharges really quickly if you stop using it before it runs out, and recharges quite slowly if you let it hit empty and your suit has to vent heat. You have to balance the risk of  taking out just a couple more enemies in slowmo with the risk you'll run out and be left vulnerable.

The melee stuff is a bit counterintuitive, and doesn't work super-well to be brutally honest. I think Mikami said that they'd wanted to have a much more elaborate and complex melee system, but didn't have time to properly balance it, so had to settle for melee hits being a final coup de gras you deliver at the end of a battle, rather than something you would use throughout. The weapon upgrade system is similarly daft. It's an amazing game, but it has its flaws.

The weapon upgrade system is properly stupid, as I've probably already gone on about twenty times in this thread already.

I hope they correct the shit upgrade system. I didn’t like not using a weapon to upgrade it. Baffling design choice there.

edit: I see this has been mentioned!

It forces you to mix it up. Likewise having limited boost and slow-mo (slow-mo is so essential to surviving between boosts).

If you’re spending your time in cover you’re not playing it to the best. Not that it’s the player’s fault, the game doesn’t lead you to it like the later Platinum games. 

I used to really enjoy jumping out of the top of cover, hitting slow mo and shooting grenades, some really great moments.

I think I spent most of my time in cover waiting to recharge and....smoking :D