rllmuk
Vemsie

Vanquish

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Interstellar. Babylon 5.

I'd forgotten about Babylon 5, and Interstellar was so shit that I must have deliberately blocked it from my memory.

• Upvote 1

Looks fine to me. No tearing, didn't notice any slowdown. The loading times seem quicker than I remember, there's nowhere near enough time to read the background material that flashes up.

Is the pc version just really badly optimised? Fiddled with the controls because I prefer solid 60 FPS over environmental shit and it still chugs like a mofo sometimes. Just disabled motion blur so hopefully that will help.

The PC version should run at 4k/60 on a calculator. It's not a demanding game at all being so old and all. But there have been reports of some people having technical issues, someone on the previous page mentioned white screen of death happening every single time. But for me, I can't get it to drop frames no matter how much I bump the res or AA to unnecessary levels.

Edit: on a Nvidia 1070 btw

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The PC version should run at 4k/60 on a calculator. It's not a demanding game at all being so old and all. But there have been reports of some people having technical issues, someone on the previous page mentioned white screen of death happening every single time. But for me, I can't get it to drop frames no matter how much I bump the res or AA to unnecessary levels.

Edit: on a Nvidia 1070 btw

I'm on a 960 so should be fine. Weird.

What's the deal with the PC version of this? I could buy a 360 copy and play it on the bone but its already in my steam library. Will it run on my i7 970 OK? Can I use a keyboard and mouse or should I be using a controller? Reasons why would be nice too. 

Also foie gras is as gross as it is morally questionable, and deserves to be ruined with ketchup.

The main reason to opt for controller over M&K, though, is that Vanquish is one of those games where effective movement is more important than precise aim (it's basically a shmup disguised as a cover shooter; you'll spend more time dodging bullets than lining up headshots), so having dual analogues is generally a benefit rather than a hindrance.

• Upvote 8

Finished this, at last. It was so nice to play a game that's short, rich and intricate, and completely tolerant of my inability to engage with what it had to offer mechnically I could go back to it, especially as I'd started to figure out some of the tricks, but I know I probably won't.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

Worth giving bionic domain a go.

Both examples of the Japanese doing gears better!

Binary, but your heart's in the right place.

• Upvote 3

Given Nintendo and Platinum have been very friendly recently, is it too much to ask for a Switch version? Portable Vanquish would be The Best Thing. 

• Upvote 3

The more I play remasters of 360-era games, the more I think that higher resolutions aren’t automatically a good thing. Games like Halo: Reach and Vanquish weren’t designed to be played at 4K resolution, and I find that doing so can sometimes give games a sterile, overly-sharp look that isn’t hugely flattering to the original artwork.

Generally speaking, people seem to have accepted that playing games from the eighties and nineties in super-sharp 1080P looks completely wrong as the scanlines, fuzziness and bloom of a CRT display rounded off the rough edges and essentially filled in the gaps, and people go to great lengths to recreate that CRT look on emulators. Obviously playing 360 games in 4K is a much less pronounced difference, but it does make me wonder whether we’re losing something by just endlessly jacking up the resolution of games, particularly with a game like Vanquish where the dreamy, hazy look is a big part of the aesthetic – do you gain anything by being able to see that a painted skybox is lower resolution than the 3D environment you’re exploring? Does it help the atmosphere to see that the city in the background is a low-detail cardboard cutout? Does the city you see on the ceiling above you look any better when you can see the streets are empty, and the walls are flat polygons?

You gain a lot from remasters – more responsive controls, easier to see enemies in the distance – but I wonder if you could keep those benefits and also retain the feel of the original, through some kind of screen filter or post-processing effect that kept the slight fuzziness and hid the flaws.

• Upvote 5

2d retro games seems to be ahead of that with CRT filters and the like. Hopefully image 'softeners' for the unexpectedly higher-res 3d games may come more into fashion. The PS3 does it for PS1 games, for example, with some sort of smoother. I wonder how difficult it'd be to make them better than 'fuzzy'. 

1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

2d retro games seems to be ahead of that with CRT filters and the like. Hopefully image 'softeners' for the unexpectedly higher-res 3d games may come more into fashion. The PS3 does it for PS1 games, for example, with some sort of smoother. I wonder how difficult it'd be to make them better than 'fuzzy'. 

Emulators like Retroarch / Openemu are actually pretty good for this sort of thing - it's not just 2D games that benefit from this sort of thing, PS1 and N64 games are hugely improved by playing them with CRT filters (and more exotic ones, like SNES-specific filters that replicate the unique look of SNES games, and even ones that replicate the colour-bleed of a rubbish eighties wood-panelled TV on wheels). Unfortunately, the really nice ones like the Gameboy filter with actual green blurring like a real Gameboy WTF are a bit processor-intensive, but you can get all sorts of effects.

Not sure how you could replicate the look of a mid-noughties Samsung LCD HD-ready TV, and to be frank I would expect its a bit too niche for most developers to really bother - I imagine "4K/120fps!" will get you more customers than "carefully calibrated to look exactly as shit as you remember!" - but I would be surprised if the idea didn't get a bit more traction in the future.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, K said:

Not sure how you could replicate the look of a mid-noughties Samsung LCD HD-ready TV,

In the PC version you can always set it to 720p in the graphics settings

4 hours ago, Revival said:

Hope that means a Vanquish II is in the works also.

I would literally squeal with delight if that was announced. I'll take this news happily though, I'll be jealous of X owners getting to play it in 60fps at 4k though, given it's a remaster of a last gen title, I hope the vanilla PS4 version hits 60fps at least.