IGNORED

Vanquish

Vemsie

7 hours ago, CarloOos said:

[...]

As it is though, it feels like the game punishes you for actually using its core mechanics, which combined with an upgrade system which consistently leaves your most used weapon as your least powerful

[...]

Also there's way too many overlong cut-scenes constantly interrupting what are supposed to be highly repayable bite-sized pockets of action, but that's par for the course with Platinum.

...are you f*cking serious?!

9 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I know this is a forum scared cow, but coincidentally I tried to play it again last week and just don't get on with it at all.  To me it plays like an extremely unsatisfying hodge-podge of separately cool elements that just don't come together in any coherent way, something which most recently reminds me of Quantum Break but was also very true of Revengeance. 

I mean, why does meleeing enemies drain you of dash and slow-mo? Why does upgrading a gun require you to always have it, but never actually use it? These mechanics just seem arbitrarily esoteric and ruin the flow completely. Trying to slip in and out of cover whilst dashing is also incredibly clumsy.

I've got a policy of not negging anyone because I feel the internet has enough negativity without me adding too it. It's been four years since my last neg, but my god you're testing my resolve!

10 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I know this is a forum scared cow, but coincidentally I tried to play it again last week and just don't get on with it at all.  To me it plays like an extremely unsatisfying hodge-podge of separately cool elements that just don't come together in any coherent way, something which most recently reminds me of Quantum Break but was also very true of Revengeance. 

I mean, why does meleeing enemies drain you of dash and slow-mo? Why does upgrading a gun require you to always have it, but never actually use it? These mechanics just seem arbitrarily esoteric and ruin the flow completely. Trying to slip in and out of cover whilst dashing is also incredibly clumsy.

I had a similar problem with the melee mechanic as well. I seem to recall everyone going on about how it was like Gears "except not brown and it's mental!" except you could use the slide melee once and then you were back to essentially being powerless and hiding behind cover, like Gears.

I even made sure to try and find some gameplay videos online to see if I was playing it wrong, but there really didn't seem to be much more to it other than being a cover shooter with a slide-boost mechanic.

Reading up a bit on the advanced techniques and God Hard difficulty and stuff doesn't paint that picture to me. Videos of truly masterful players sees them rolling around the battlefield rarely touching cover, which makes it look like a rocket-powered Dark Souls (using those glorious Invincibility Frames). They also use AR mode sparingly. It's just that this game doesn't seem to reward you clearly for a certain style of play, but places restrictions on you that you can work around by mastering the mechanics and guns to avoid overheating. It doesn't have a combo system, unlike games like Bayonetta, DMC and P.N. 03, or fill a meter of some sort (killer7) and it doesn't focus on time-bending powers the way Viewtiful Joe does (where you can only do meaningful damage in slow-mo).

This makes it admittedly a bit counter-intuitive even if you've played similar games by the same developers, but not necessarily in a wrong way (I haven't touched God Hard, so I can't really judge it myself yet). And it certainly doesn't make it a game about hiding behind cover.

18 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I mean I've just watched those high level play videos Vemsie posted above and they look like a total mess, more like someone abusing the mechanics than actually playing it skillfully. 

Trust me: that's incredibly skillfull play. 

57 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

Except the slide isn't nearly as gimmicky as you make it sound and is actually the whole point of the game. So much so that even moderately decent players hardly use the cover system at all.

Just had another look at some gameplay to see if I'm misremembering and my opinion of it hasn't really changed. Other than the boost (which, as I mentioned is on a cooldown after a single melee use) it's either cover based or dodge rolling to infinity.

Mechanically I didn't find that very appealing at all and it got repetitive fast.

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just had another look at some gameplay to see if I'm misremembering and my opinion of it hasn't really changed. Other than the boost (which, as I mentioned is on a cooldown after a single melee use) it's either cover based or dodge rolling to infinity.

Mechanically I didn't find that very appealing at all and it got repetitive fast.

That's like saying Mario is all about jumping. 
Besides, how many games have you played with rocket boosting, cigarette throwing, slow-mo backflipping and grenade shooting, weapon cancels for quick reloads and boost-into-dodge cancels?

There's nothing quite like Vanquish. It may not appeal to you, which is fine, but it deserves credit for being a breath of fresh air in a gen dominated by cover shooting.

I'm sorry guys, I don't think anyone's going to be able to convince me that constantly feathering the boost button to give your character a never-ending supply of ridiculous leg-spinning i-frames is indicative of actual, intentional, mechanical depth.

When I watch high level play of something like DMC, Bayonetta or Revengeance, I not only admire the sheer skill but also appreciate how each gameplay system intersects, whereas watching God Hard Vanquish players constantly leg-spinning around each level like some sort of demented speed-run seems more like a tedious exploit than a demonstration of refined mechanics, to me.  Likewise I don't buy that it's intentional how the melee is almost useless and the upgrade system is such a mess that it makes the game harder the worse you're doing, they're just ill-conceived design decisions that don't parlay with each other into any coherent whole.

I'm obviously well aware that plenty of people do enjoy the game, but it does seem in spite of various incongruous elements that even fans would change.

• 5 weeks later...

I somehow doubt PS4 owners are about to get backwards compatibility, and given the poor sales of the original wouldn't be surprised if Sega aren't prioritising free backward compatibility on the Bone. Either a remaster or nothing at all seem most likely to me.

I'll be delighted if a PC version happens.

Here's what Atsushi Inaba had to say about the series only a copule of days ago:

“For any time, if we have the chance to make a sequel, we want to do it. There is no title we don’t want to make a sequel for. So, of course, we want to make Bayonetta 3 and Vanquish 2. So, yes, we want to make sequels.”

PC Vanquish is not officially announced is it or is this as good as.  Wish they would just announce it already.  I still have a sealed 360 special edition copy with a figurine I bought from Zavvi years ago.  

• 2 months later...
On 29-1-2010 at 07:40, GODSTEETH said:

Live action teaser for the new project:

P* website

Gametrailers

Didn't see that coming.

I came looking for some info on Platinum's stellar action title from already 6 (!) years ago, when I looked at some of the very first posts in this thread. And then I clicked on the link above... and :o see what briefly comes up in the address bar when you click on the official Platinum website link!!

Prolly getting a bit overexcited over nothing.

Ignore...

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Spainkiller said:

look im very happy for the pc mustard race but how about microsoft get their shit together and add this to their bc catalogue so that i feel less depressed about the colossal paperweight that is my fucking xbox one

My Xbox One is shaping up to be the literal most pointless console I've ever purchased. It always used to be that you "needed" all the machines as each one offered up something a little different (like the first iteration of Xbox Live on the original xbox, or Halo:CE being so cutting edge). 

Now this thing just sits there pointlessly. The Backwards Compatibility is totally it's USP and the only reason I still have mine. 

If this is really coming to Steam, then it's amazing news. If nothing else, it means that Sega are still interested in the game and in keeping it alive, and that also means it might come to Xbox One BC at some point.

VANQUISH