rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

Crysis 2

@Moosey...

Well if the scene release was anything to go by, it will be.

But the 360 version is very good as well - but as said it feels like it runs at around the 20-25fps mark.

Its Vsyced too IIRC so that won't help but look to the skies and theres lots going on.

I always felt Crysis 1 was the Predator game no-one managed to make. Play it like you're an indomitable force of nature.

Spacehost sums it up pretty much perfectly there.

That's when it works best but I've never been the best at figuring out how to do sneaky shit. I tell you what it reminds me of, it reminds me of Deus Ex. Bear with me. I only played a bit of Deus Ex and that was...about 9 years ago but I liked how you could go through the level in multiple ways. It's like that but scaled back to localised areas (which I'm assuming the first was like). I just need to be more patient I think. Also, it's not quick at doling out upgrades (or the means for upgrades anyway).

@Moosey...

Well if the scene release was anything to go by, it will be.

But the 360 version is very good as well - but as said it feels like it runs at around the 20-25fps mark.

Its Vsyced too IIRC so that won't help but look to the skies and theres lots going on.

Yeah, that's about right. It gets choppy occasionally but I'd take that over horrendous lack of V-sync.

I'll have a watch of them tomorrow, cheers man :)

I think I'm getting it now. I've unlocked

the suit mod that quietens my footsteps

and now I'm using the visor to spot properly before moving off and ducking, weaving, and disappearing like I should be. Still think the spotting tags could do with being more prominent. Still, it's amazing what a quick conversation on the internet can do for a game :P

The collectables seem very half arsed, mind. The menu is full of ??? type slots but on each level there's only

a dog tag, a vehicle, a souvenir and an email conversation

and even then not all of those appear in a level. You do unlock the soundtrack as you go along to listen to separate. Random. The soundtrack is fucking brilliant mind.

One thing that struck me is for how beautiful the environments are the modelling for characters not in armour or helmets is somewhat lacking. It's not horrendous but it's kind of jarring considering how amazing everything else looks.

Apologies for the Spoiler tags, I don't know what does and doesn't constitute a spoiler.

Having never had a top of the line pc, I felt obliged to have a look at those ironman crysis 1 vids. Played well, it looks very good.

Still can't decide whether to bother with 2 though, so I took a peek at the now full walkthroughs that have hit youtube. Looks very poished indeed, but about as linear and restrictive as some of us feared.

Care to put my mind at ease moosey? :)

God dammit, I closed the fucking window before posting. Sigh.

It tends to go corridor/building bit, open plan bit and alternates like that. The open plan bits usually have 2 or more ways of flanking and getting round the enemies. I dunno how it compares to the first. It's not open world, but it's not a stupid straightforward corridor shooter either. It's impressive on technical and gameplay levels, but as I said before I've come into this blind so I had no expectations or anything. What you definitely cannot say is that it's a poor game, at least so far. I'm prolly 4/5 hours into it, only unlocked 4 suit upgrades, figured out where the rocket launcher is because the fucking thing didn't tell me.

kept out of here as long as i could , but the talk of it being a bit linear are worrying me. Since it was announced where it was set I was sort of turned off.

I love the locale of the 1st and still regard it as the best fps singleplayer campaign bar none. Fucked up NYC doesn't do it for me compared to tropical islands and awesome vista's.

This looks like pretty much my perfect FPS after watching the video Brerlappin put up. I couldn't give a crap about the multiplayer, so I'm hoping the campaign is a decent length.

RE: linearity, this looks about as good as you'd hope from a story shooter. Big wide areas with different routes towards the same chokepoints.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the triggered armour; I could see having to turn it on all the time as getting quite annoying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having seen those 360 videos online now, i think im going to pass on the PC version altogether for now, as like Nashwan says, i have a feeling this will be about 10 quid in a steam sale by summer. Think i might just trade KZ3 for the 360 version and get it for a few quid, then grab the PC version in a steam sale.

I love the locale of the 1st and still regard it as the best fps singleplayer campaign bar none. Fucked up NYC doesn't do it for me compared to tropical islands and awesome vista's.

It still looks stunning, and areas with lots of buildings = shotgun funs. I'm sure there'll be plenty of open areas for rangey stuff too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That video isn't 20-25fps - that looks to be a 25-30. Might even be solid 30.

Gonna have to boot the demo again now.

no denying though the 1st game is a tough act to follow.

i really hope it's as good or better than the first if that's possible?

The only thing I'm not sure about is the triggered armour; I could see having to turn it on all the time as getting quite annoying.

It becomes instinctive surprisingly quick, trust me.

Having seen those 360 videos online now, i think im going to pass on the PC version altogether for now, as like Nashwan says, i have a feeling this will be about 10 quid in a steam sale by summer. Think i might just trade KZ3 for the 360 version and get it for a few quid, then grab the PC version in a steam sale.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you did it better :P

It's only £22 to preorder on gameplay.co.uk now. It's only worth paying more for the 360 version if your PC isn't up to it or all your friends are getting the 360 version and you want to play it with them. Especially if you're going to buy it on PC eventually anyway.

Though spoilerific, some of the 360 videos for this floating around NeoGAF look astounding. I'm tempting to pick it up for that platform as it looks like the game was designed with consoles in mind (I don't mean this negatively). Judging by the brief dip in the waters I had with the PC beta that was leaked a month ago, the vasoline like edge smoothing filter doesn't really suit sitting a couple of feet away from pixel perfect HD monitors, but I can imagine it'll look very nice on a large telly sat a few metres back (I realise this can be achieved with PC's too, but in my situation I can't be arsed dragging it downstairs!).

Comfy couch edition...

They have made it look awesome on console. I can't help but think they've hobbled the PC version for a couple of weeks after release in order to demonstrate how it looks 'just as good' on every platform, and/or to drive people on the fence toward the console release to make an extra tenner. I'm not really that bothered though, I just want to play the game, I'll gladly take it for £22 now and have a version that looks the same as the 360 version but runs better, with the promise of DX11 coming later. Seems sloppy though. But I suppose you can't blame them, if you look how COD sells on each platform, it makes sense to prioritise where the money is. I prefer the approach DICE are taking with BF3, but hopefully Crysis 2 will push the engine to developers and we'll get a slew of great (GREAT) looking 360 games before the console is superseded by the next-gen. I think DICE and Epic have realised that there's still a way to go until the next gen yet, and they should probably keep pushing things on the PC end in the meantime, whilst making sure their engines scale downward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

:lol:

Typical. Even PS3 videos get an update.

Whatever though - looks nice. Same as PC but with lower res.

Looking to order this on the 360 and it seems that gameplay are the cheapest and also do Quidco.

Anyone used them before and know how good they are with shipping pre-orders out?

Looking to order this on the 360 and it seems that gameplay are the cheapest and also do Quidco.

Anyone used them before and know how good they are with shipping pre-orders out?

Ever since they got taken over by Game I found them slipping at shipping for the day before - plus they were still charging the 99p shipping for first class whereas it's free at Game. Plus Game do Quidco too :)