Afterburner climax

Preacher

It's brilliant. Once you're over the ball-shrinking exhileration factor of your first few goes, you start to understand how every technique at your disposal is crucial to high scores. Keeping the combo window open requires judicious use of accelerate/deccelerate, and climax mode is absolutely essential for taking down multiple targets, although that's pretty much a given.

Arcade mode probably isn't the place for that, mind you. The ex options not only make it a breeze, it's deemed perfectly acceptable to use them in order to unlock more ex options and even achievements, leaving only a handful of the former (complete the game 10 times, kill 10,000 enemies etc) out of reach.

Haven't given score attack a fair shake yet, but it's obviously where Afterburner's longevity is at, and although you've got unlimited lives to finish it, just one mistake can cost you muchos points, so get your SERIOUS BUSINESS face on and attack.

Oh, and it all looks DELISH, like Outrun at approximately a billion miles an hour.

EDIT: some of the medals in Score Attack are INSANE:

-Reach a maximum combo of 100 in one game (I only just managed to break 50 in arcade mode)

-Missed with 5 missiles or fewer in one game

-Hit with all missiles fired in one game (fuuuuck)

-Cleared the game without being shot down (...yeah, right)

So medals, it would seem, are the new achievements.

Do all the emergency situation things. I can't get that damn stealth bomber.

Is that the level with the canyons and flak and stuff? If so, you can't attack him till the level afterwards, providing you don't get shot down along the way (in which case you'll lose him completely).

OK, we've had excellent updates of Outrun and Afterburner... have half a brain SEGA, and give the same treatment to Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force and Power Drift, ta.

Don't disagree, but all of those games would have to be made from scratch, whereas Afterburner and Outrun are arcade conversions. If this trend continues, however, we might yet see Planet Harrier (although running on NAOMI probably makes that less viable...don't imagine it looks quite as pretty as it used to).

It doesn't take long to whore the full 200G ;)

Yeah, but that's not the real challenge - it just makes it an attractive purchase for gamescore whores, is all. In fact, it isn't even unlocking the ex options, because that's only slightly more difficult than unlocking achievements. No, the real challenge comes with the medals in score attack, wherein lies most of the game's longevity.

Although nobody actually reviewing this game seems to have cottoned onto this fact. Typical. ;)

Yeah, but that's not the real challenge - it just makes it an attractive purchase for gamescore whores, is all. In fact, it isn't even unlocking the ex options, because that's only slightly more difficult than unlocking achievements. No, the real challenge comes with the medals in score attack, wherein lies most of the game's longevity.

Although nobody actually reviewing this game seems to have cottoned onto this fact. Typical. ;)

Aye.

I hate that bloody dark level right near the end, where all you see are the bastard missiles approaching you ;)

I know, but I'm going to be fucking wank at score attack. Arcade games for me go thusly:

Buy game

Play whichever is considered to be the 'arcade mode'

Giggle like a loon at the fun of it all

Rinse 'arcade mode' and get value for money

Look at score attack

Suck at score attack

Never play game again

I know, but I'm going to be fucking wank at score attack. Arcade games for me go thusly:

Buy game

Play whichever is considered to be the 'arcade mode'

Giggle like a loon at the fun of it all

Rinse 'arcade mode' and get value for money

Look at score attack

Suck at score attack

Come back and play arcade mode regularly for the rest of gaming life.

Fix-ed.

I had no intention of getting this but I got the demo, finished it with all planes, got addicted, bought it, 2 hours later I'm still playing.

After the first stage (I spent a while in training learning the pattern until I got 100%) i'm fucking shit though. Any tips for getting mega combos and not dying?

I had no intention of getting this but I got the demo, finished it with all planes, got addicted, bought it, 2 hours later I'm still playing.

After the first stage (I spent a while in training learning the pattern until I got 100%) i'm fucking shit though. Any tips for getting mega combos and not dying?

- Training mode (enemies appear in fixed positions)

- Use the throttle/brake to keep the combo chain alive

- Once the targeting reticule has changed to a red cross, that means your missile is locked - proceed to the next enemy.

That's all I could glean from my short time with the game, but I'm very keen to get back to it.

I've played 30 minutes and got 70g :) and now my eyes are bleeding and I might be in that small percentage that experiences seizures as my brain felt like it was melting playing this. It's absolutely terrific and I think, after a few plays, I understood the mechanics of what you have to do - this is going to be one of those 30 minute a day games - if you play it for much longer, your eyes might not work again.

Sea of Twilight is fucking YUM.

Crank the sound effects up and this is :)

Playing this with headphones, desperately trying to recreate the arcade's sensory overload - and it's AWESOME. I can only imagine what it must sound and feel like with a surround sound setup, but alas, I'd have to live in the middle of nowhere to find that out. :(