rllmuk
The Sarge

Deadly Premonition

10 years ago I did PR for a company called Channel Advantage and after my short stint with Rockstar promoting Midnight Club, Beaterator and the GTA expansions the next client was Rising Star games. I remember going into Gamestation, HMV and the like with my laptop promoting Deadly Premonition and Ivy the Kiwi. Not the easiest job in the world! I bought my copy on launch day in Asda for twenty quid - no promos! 

Terrific ost! I don't think I could ever 'play' it again but I'm really looking forward to the second one! 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I really hope the sequel is just as much a shift in style towards Lynch's cinematic work in the same way Twin Peaks: The Return was. 

Oh look, Deputy Willie :D

For a video game, that combination of humor and dark story is absolutely unprecedented as far as I know. Again, the gameplay is mostly crap, especially the fighting and the dull combat locations. But that story and story progression and dialogue and characters and character development... Holy cow. 

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, alex3d said:

Oh look, Deputy Willie :D

For a video game, that combination of humor and dark story is absolutely unprecedented as far as I know. Again, the gameplay is mostly crap, especially the fighting and the dull combat locations. But that story and story progression and dialogue and characters and character development... Holy cow. 

Yeah, you can imagine how I fell in love with the setting, characters, and story back when it was new and the graphics and gameplay hadn't aged as much. I was immediately interested in the books and was all-in on whatever sequels they were going to make. CD Projekt's first game iirc, and they nailed it first time out. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to wager he thought he was in The Witcher thread. I don't know where Deputy Willie fits in mind!

Im assuming, by Deputy Willie you are at the bit where you...

Chase the dog while THAT music plays.

Still so much good stuff to come..

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I'm going to wager he thought he was in The Witcher thread. I don't know where Deputy Willie fits in mind!

:wacko:

I have no idea what happened or why I glossed over the Willie bit

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

Im assuming, by Deputy Willie you are at the bit where you...

Reveal hidden contents

Chase the dog while THAT music plays.

Still so much good stuff to come..

Yeah, haha. That music is awesome :lol:

Spoiler

Fighting Blanka George now. His transformation after the first fight was a bit weird. 

On 03/12/2019 at 09:11, dumpster said:

This is phenomenal. Outstanding.  A full breakdown of the story - it's even deeper than I knew.  What a game.

Finished the game and usually I don't like it when I don't understand games/movies' endings and in the case of DP I had to watch that video in order to fully understand it. The ending is a bit too mysterious/spiritual/weird for my liking. Still, a masterpiece of a "game", probably above all other games in terms of protagonist personality and story development. The thing is, in my opinion 99% of game development involves too many technicians as opposed to story tellers. DP sucks in terms of gameplay, but I didn't care at all. Thanks @dumpster for mentioning the game in the Shenmue 3 thread.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Finished the game and usually I don't like it when I don't understand games/movies' endings and in the case of DP I had to watch that video in order to fully understand it. The ending is a bit too mysterious/spiritual/weird for my liking. Still, a masterpiece of a "game", probably above all other games in terms of protagonist personality and story development. The thing is, in my opinion 99% of game development involves too many technicians as opposed to story tellers. DP sucks in terms of gameplay, but I didn't care at all. Thanks @dumpster for mentioning the game in the Shenmue 3 thread.

Pleasure.  I think the ending where (massive spoiler)

You run down the long spiral steps and fight big Kaysen is weak and others in this thread have been critical of that. In development the team were advised to add more shooty sections and it definitely shows. For me the climax of the game is running as the Raincoat Killer to the clock tower, learning about Kaysen and Zach's family and having to kill Emily after she has been violated by Kaysen. That whole thing with the seeds implanted in the women, Kaysen travelling from town to town, the realisation that "let me die" and "don't want to die" are from Yorks nightmare memories of seeing his mother die.... It all came together in a quality of storyline I'd not seen in a game before.  But then, yep, you have to fight Kaysen and it goes a bit mad.   But I loved the atmosphere after that.  You talk to Harry, you see Zach and York and the people of the forrest, and there's nothing left to do except drive away.  

I didn't want to leave and went to play darts for a bit.

Been playing again , trying to 100% it.  What has really surprised me this time is how much fun a second playthrough of the other world sections is when you have decent infinite weapons. All the puzzles are already solved so you can race through the areas. Each has a trading card to find and action is relentless, but somehow it is a lot more enjoyable than when you play the main story. 

Also, fishing, which i found tedious, is actually pretty good when trying to fish out the remaining trading cards.  It's about the timing , judgement, the number of sounds... It has clicked with me and it is a lot more skilled than i realised.  Also, darts is fantastic in the bar.  Trading off your energy for more accurate aiming. Remembering to hit the lit sections on every third dart (the light come on with a tiny delay so you throw the dart then curse yourself for not remembering it was a 3rd round).

All time favourite game for me, no question about it.

The depth of this game amazes me.  Talking to the side characters reveals such deep story. I have 100% completion now and it really is amazing.

• Upvote 1

Completely randomly, I just started playing the Switch version last night. Only did the first 30 minutes or so, but it's...yeah. It's definitely something. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Completely randomly, I just started playing the Switch version last night. Only did the first 30 minutes or so, but it's...yeah. It's definitely something. 

Yep, the first hour or so (on your first time, it's 15 minutes when you know where to go) is rubbish. Keep going.....

Thinking about buying this for Switch since it’s currently half price on the eShop. Never played it. I know it’s supposedly so bad it’s good, but I’m really worried about the so bad part.

I started it today and it seems total dogshit in an intriguing way, I'll likely go back. 

I got this back in the day but couldn't stick it, it was just too janky and annoying to actually play, I think I'd rather just watch an LP instead.

It’s not “so bad” at all, it’s just its own thing in a world which demands uniformity. That said, there are some things you should do asap for quality of life reasons (I think there’s a list somewhere), but honestly it’s a top game.

This was originally a PlayStation 2 game, that went into development hell and emerged a generation too late. When the Xbox 360 version finally came out it had a reputation for being "so bad it's good" because the first thing that hits you is the ropey animation and fairly poor graphics. The opening half hour feels like a very poor Resident Evil 4 rip off.  

Having said that, if this game had been released on the PlayStation 2 as planned , it would be well known as one of the best adventure games of all time. I may have called it "so bad it's good" in this thread before, but if I did, I was wrong. It genuinely is one of the best adventure games ever made, has a story which is quite incredible the more you play through it, some of the strongest characters in any video game ever, but all with the presentation of a PlayStation 2 budget game because that's really what it was intended to be. You have to look past all of that to get a true feel for the fantastic game that lies within. Eventually the shortcomings become part of its charm.  I think one of the reasons that the game gets such love on forums rather than in the general population is because people on this forum are more likely to play older games and not be put off because they don't look like the latest next gen triple A titles.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

This was originally a PlayStation 2 game, that went into development hell and emerged a generation too late. When the Xbox 360 version finally came out it had a reputation for being "so bad it's good" because the first thing that hits you is the ropey animation and fairly poor graphics. The opening half hour feels like a very poor Resident Evil 4 rip off.  

Having said that, if this game had been released on the PlayStation 2 as planned , it would be well known as one of the best adventure games of all time. I may have called it "so bad it's good" in this thread before, but if I did, I was wrong. It genuinely is one of the best adventure games ever made, has a story which is quite incredible the more you play through it, some of the strongest characters in any video game ever, but all with the presentation of a PlayStation 2 budget game because that's really what it was intended to be. You have to look past all of that to get a true feel for the fantastic game that lies within. Eventually the shortcomings become part of its charm.  I think one of the reasons that the game gets such love on forums rather than in the general population is because people on this forum are more likely to play older games and not be put off because they don't look like the latest next gen triple A titles.

This. 

Is the PC Directors cut the one to play? Or is the Switch version now the preferred option?

19 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Is the PC Directors cut the one to play? Or is the Switch version now the preferred option?

Stolen from a Resetera thread about the game:

it's better than the PS3/PC version by miles (unless you try to mod the pc version). the frame rate gets pretty bad still at times tho, and the game crashed 4 or 5 times for me during 35 hours of playtime.
the director's cut content is not in the game (most likely because the narrative frame in DC has been retconned), but the gameplay improvements and new UI are present. it's basically the story of the 360 version with the gameplay of DC.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/deadly-premonition-2-release-on-july-10th-deadly-premonition-origins-50-off-on-switch.193548/post-32496849

• Upvote 1

The 360 version is backwards compatible on the Xbox one, but it doesn't run quite as well as it does on the 360. I had some good success with the unofficial mods on the PC version, and I've seen streams of people playing it on PC and it looks super smooth. But having said that, the presentation of the game has always been a bit ropey. You're playing for the story, the characters, and the way it just gets into your head.  Even the action sequences start to become really enjoyable, despite them being ostensibly a bit crap. The whole experience of Deadly Premonition comes together as an extraordinary product and in a weird way ,things like a poor frame rate become part of the janky charm. 

I started to 'get' it when near the start... 

York has coffee with Polly the hotel owner. There's an intentional scripted joke where they sit at either end of a very long table. They tried to have a conversation but they can't hear each other because Polly is elderly and they are sat so far away from each other. During this deliberate joke the games production values become noticeable as the voices start to come out of the wrong speakers in your surround system. The music is jaunty and quite inappropriate and starts to drown out the dialogue anyway. The result is characters on screen who can't hear each other, being drowned out by happy music. it's hard to know whether the music is deliberately too loud to reflect that the characters can't hear each other, but whatever the reason it really made me laugh and I'm smiling right now just thinking about it.

I know I go on about it but it's pretty much my all time favourite game, despite my taste having always been towards arcade action rather than sprawling adventures. There's something unique and special about this game and whatever format you get to play it on you should stick with it because you'll love it by the end.

• Upvote 2

It's been on my backlog since forever, I'm definitely planning on playing it on Xbox BC because that's simply my most convenient option at the moment.

• Upvote 1