IGNORED

GamesTM 92

davejm

I misread it as "I wished it was Star Wars", which is the sentiment I'd like to convey. It made me desperately want to play a new KOTOR and I had trouble judging it on it's own merits because it was, in a lot of ways, very similar to KOTOR.

I don't see much similarity between KOTOR and Mass Effect really except for the 'good neutral bad' responses in dialogue. Gameplay-wise they're very different (and I think I actually prefer KOTOR).

It was all about the menus for me. ME's menu system was the worst piece of software design to happen in the last 20 years. Simply staggering the developers released the game in that state

I don't have much confidence in ME2 being much better in that regard, I need detailed proof before I'd even consider a purchase.

Hey, you're the one who bolded a sentence in another guy's post saying 'it wished it was Star Wars'

That isn't what I put. You've typed the "it" in yourself.

I misread it as "I wished it was Star Wars", which is the sentiment I'd like to convey. It made me desperately want to play a new KOTOR and I had trouble judging it on it's own merits because it was, in a lot of ways, very similar to KOTOR.

That is what I meant.

everyone i know who have been playing darksiders have really enjoyed it.. i was planning on playing sometime soon.

Do it soon. Games like Darksiders need as much encouragement as possible. It's astonishing that there's only ever been two decent stabs at a 3D Zelda game, with only one of them (Darksiders) actually pulling it off.

Do it soon. Games like Darksiders need as much encouragement as possible. It's astonishing that there's only ever been two decent stabs at a 3D Zelda game, with only one of them (Darksiders) actually pulling it off.

I quite fancy Darksiders - although it sounds more Metroid than Zelda. Not that that's a bad thing... but Zelda is a puzzle game at heart. A zelda game without puzzle dungeons isn't a zelda game.

I quite fancy Darksiders - although it sounds more Metroid than Zelda. Not that that's a bad thing... but Zelda is a puzzle game at heart. A zelda game without puzzle dungeons isn't a zelda game.

That's exactly what it has though. Big, fuck-off, 3D puzzle dungeons with a visceral hack 'em up stuck on top.

A few choice quotes from this fuckwit's Darksiders review:

A shame, then, that Darksiders looks so awful. texturally, it's a long way behind almost all of the competition. Everything has a very rough, gaudy edge, and the lighting engine is PS2 standard at best.
Far be it from us to condemn a game purely on looks, but when the desired effect is spectacle and awe, having textures that wouldn't look out of place in an early Soul Reaver game really doesn't help.
'Zelda without a brain' - this is the phrase that sprang to mind when trudging through Darksiders' first dungeon. You see, for anyone with even a basic schooling in Link adventuring, there's nothing that will even tickel a synapse. Every puzzle has been done ad verbatim in Zelda, be it a flowering bomb plant or a level-shifting water puzzle. It's so simplistic that traversing these dungeons becomes laborious rather than head-scratchingly satisfying.
It's an open-world that's not open, a Zelda game with no wit or brain power, and a God of War clone without bite.

It's astonishing that there's only ever been two decent stabs at a 3D Zelda game, with only one of them (Darksiders) actually pulling it off.

Only two? What's the other one, Okami?

There were frickin' loads of the things during the PS2 era (and few on the PS1), although whether they were decent is another matter...

There were frickin' loads of the things during the PS2 era (and few on the PS1), although whether they were decent is another matter...

The N64 had that godawful Zelda ripoff, Quest or something?

How long does Mass Effect to play through? I have a copy at home that I borrowed but haven't started yet. I'm no fan of RPGs, but the only one I remember finishing was KOTOR...

I finished it in around 50 hours, but I rinsed every side quest and planet.

I think you can get through it in around 15 hours if you focus on the main plot. The exploratory gumpf isn't brilliant (they re-use a lot of interior locations) and many peeps didn't like the Mako control (although I quite liked it).

It's definitely worth playing through. It polarises opinion, so although there are peeps here that hated it; there are folk like me that think it's awesome (despite it's obvious flaws). If you already have it, give it a whirl.

I always viewed Kameo as a definite Zelda wannabe .... large "hub" area, and dungeons that are usually tailored to the latest skill (weapon in Zelda, elemental-creature in Kameo) that you have acquired, with boss at the end of each dungeon which requires a combination of skills to defeat.

That's exactly what it has though. Big, fuck-off, 3D puzzle dungeons with a visceral hack 'em up stuck on top.

Aye, that's what it is. I think it's pretty good and certainly haven't regretted picking it up. There's not a shred of originality in it, but the combat's enjoyable (though not great), the dungeons are massive and very Zelda-ish puzzle- and item-wise, with puzzles that can occasionally cause some head-scratching but are quite logical, the art and graphics, while not really to my taste, are perfectly well executed (I have no idea what that reviewer is on about), and it does have a lot of (reprocessed) meat to its bones. A stunningly unoriginal homage to / ripoff of several great games that's not as good as any of them but combines them very well: it's basically Zelda Reaver with a touch of Metroid thrown in and the art direction from WoW et al. And it feels (though doesn't look) oddly PS2-era, as someone commented in the dedicated thread (I think this is partly the pacing: those dungeons are way bigger than we're used to these days, and there is a surprising length to the affair).

Having said that, I'm only part-way through it, but so far I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who thinks the description above might appeal. (PS3 version here, btw. No idea how bad the tearing etc. on 360 are but it looks very decent on this setup.)

On another note, ME1 would have been my GOTY year too had I played it that year and not been late to the party. Mind, as an ex-EvE player, I'm not easily put off by dire inventory systems/interfaces, which that title certainly had. If anything, I fear some of the plodding earnestness might have been too cleanly exorcised from the series if some of the previews are anything to go by. I kind of like the complexity in some ways, and I hope the sequel hasn't been streamlined into too much of a shooter.

Yup, I was meaning Okami. I don't think it has the logical consistency of a Zelda game. It felt more lock and key than tool/puzzle/solution.

I didn't have a PS1 or 2 either so never new about the other clones.

On another note, ME1 would have been my GOTY year too had I played it that year and not been late to the party. Mind, as an ex-EvE player, I'm not easily put off by dire inventory systems/interfaces, which that title certainly had. If anything, I fear some of the plodding earnestness might have been too cleanly exorcised from the series if some of the previews are anything to go by. I kind of like the complexity in some ways, and I hope the sequel hasn't been streamlined into too much of a shooter.

As long as there's lots more:

/ Goodbye

\ [sHEPARD PUNCH!]

situations with the 4th estate and lunatic scientists, it'll be fine.

"Say goodnight, Manuel."

I generally find as long as a game interests me, I can put up with dodgy inventories and annoying interfaces. It doesn't seem like that long ago since I was waiting 15 minutes for a game to load off some crappy cassette tape, having to use super clunky commands and the like for blocky, ugly and far more limited experiences that today's spoilt youngsters would run screaming to the hills from.

Why helloooooo.... I might have read something interesting just now. :omg:

Yup, I was meaning Okami. I don't think it has the logical consistency of a Zelda game. It felt more lock and key than tool/puzzle/solution.

I didn't have a PS1 or 2 either so never new about the other clones.

I don't see Okami as a Zelda-game, it strips puzzles away almost completely and is far closer to an 'open world' DMC wearing adventure clothing (which is also why I regard Bayonetta as a sort of Okami II without the adventure bits).