Alien Breed Evolution: Episode 1 (360) - 7

Darksiders (360) - 6

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) - 8

Rogue Warrior (360) - 2

Tales of Monkey Island: Rise of the Pirate God (PC) - 8

FEATURES

- A look back at last years games and consider how they might affect the future

- Interview with God of War III director Stig Asmussen

- Parappa the Rapper creator talks about the creative process and future of music in games

- A discussion about Machinarium with developers Amanita Design

- Spec Ops: The Line preview

- Guide to 2010

RETRO

- Behind the Scenes: Fur Fighters

- Review: Rush Rush Rally Racing

- Interview: Roal van Masterbergen (awesome name!)

- Hall of Fame: Paperboy

- Conversion Catastrophe: Daytona USA

- Feature: Reverse Engineers - A look at Rare and Nintendo's relationship

Behind the scenes on Fur Fighters? Really?

I hope Silent Hill is worthy of that score, been itching for a new one since finishing the disappointing number 4 (and consciously avoiding the other ones since), and this one looked rather promising.

Curses, I'd just settled on picking it up today. What did you find so poor about it?

The crisicisms it seems to have levelled at it most frequently are it being an uninspired Zelda/God of War ripoff, as well as having a pretty boring and generic setting and story. It sounds like it has no real ideas of it's own and struggles to be more than the sum of its parts. I've not had a chance to play it but the likleyhood of me forking out full price on it is diminishing everytime I hear something about it.

Me too, bitten too hard by the first one.

I still haven't forgiven Uzi for his gushing praise of ME. I fell for that.. .and about 20 hours in or whatever I felt like scooping my own brains out with a spoon. I should've known after the same happened with Kotor. BioWare games are dull dull dull. They're barely games.

A 6 for Darksiders is complete bullshit. If you read the thread on here there's been virtually nothing negative said about it. It's a genuinely excellent game which lacks a certain amount of polish that everyone seems to expect nowadays. If you like challenging, interesting, fun games and like Zelda then you'll almost certainly love Darksiders.

GOTY so far.

They could give Mass Effect 2 14/10 and I still wouldn't be interested.
I still haven't forgiven Uzi for his gushing praise of ME. I fell for that.. .and about 20 hours in or whatever I felt like scooping my own brains out with a spoon. I should've known after the same happened with Kotor. BioWare games are dull dull dull. They're barely games.
Mass Effect must have some of the least interesting art direction ever.

Oh wow, this has become the 'How to be utterly fucking wrong' thread.

I've been planning to finally drag myself through this, despite it having the dullest selection of characters Bioware've ever created, and an absolutely bollocks engine when it comes to combat of a shooty nature.

Oh wow, this has become the 'How to be utterly fucking wrong' thread.

Oh come onnn, it's so bloody boring. Even Jade Empire was better!

Of all the things to criticise Mass Effect (which there are many), art direction isn't one of them. On the surface it initially may seem a little pedestrian, but after you've spent some time with the game you realise just how well BioWare are harking back to 60s/70s sci-fi in their mechanical/environmental designs. Brilliant use of colour too.

I've been planning to finally drag myself through this, despite it having the dullest selection of characters Bioware've ever created, and an absolutely bollocks engine when it comes to combat of a shooty nature.

Oh come onnn, it's so bloody boring. Even Jade Empire was better!

ME was my GOTY. I'm playing it again right now on the PC just to have a few different saves to import into the sequel.

A 6 for Darksiders is complete bullshit. If you read the thread on here there's been virtually nothing negative said about it. It's a genuinely excellent game which lacks a certain amount of polish that everyone seems to expect nowadays. If you like challenging, interesting, fun games and like Zelda then you'll almost certainly love Darksiders.

GOTY so far.

Agreed, and I actually think it's polished up fine.

GOTY so far.

It's January 15th

I have almost no memory of Mass Effect whatsoever. I quite enjoyed it, but wished it was Star Wars. Beyond that, nothing.

This for me. I just felt like it should have been called Kotor 3, it felt like they'd started that game but not been able to renew the licence.

I really like the Mass Effect universe, despite feeling that it was a bit clichéd when I first started playing. Once I got stuck into the codex entries and developed a feel for the back story/setting, it's quality started to show through and it's very good sci-fi in it's own right now. I really enjoyed the books too.

I think it's good when studios take such care to create such a detailed and rich new setting for a game series. Dragon Age is similar in that regard. Both games borrow heavily from other influences, but they're very deeply thought out and well crafted 'universes'.

It's less wholesome and 'magical' than Star Wars - I'd say it's nearest companion is Babylon 5. In the making ofs for the first game BioWare more or less said they wanted to develop an IP they had full control over and spent a good length in pre-production scripting out a consistent identity for the world. It wasn't hastily put together because Kotor fell through.

Edit: Evil, evil Space Reporter Ulala. Beat me to it.

If anything, it wished it was Babylon 5 or Star Trek, there's nothing remotely Star Wars about it other than it's set in space and has aliens in it.

There's nothing very "star wars" about it but there's plenty that's very "kotor" about it. The fact that kotor wasn't a traditional star wars product is why it's not a steaming heap of shit.

Hey, you're the one who bolded a sentence in another guy's post saying 'it wished it was Star Wars' and responded with 'this for me', bub. Make your frickin' mind up.

And yeah, it adhered to the Bioware formula but so what? Scores of notable gaming series follow templates established in their infancy ('Oh hey, it's Ridley. Again. And I need to upgrade all my weapons and abilities. Again.')

I misread it as "I wished it was Star Wars", which is the sentiment I'd like to convey. It made me desperately want to play a new KOTOR and I had trouble judging it on it's own merits because it was, in a lot of ways, very similar to KOTOR.

yeah theyre like using excel with a joypad, i dont get the appeal. maybe it feeds ocd or something.