rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Valiant

Never understood the big deal Americans make about all these tedious evening chat shows they have. Then again, perhaps they say the same about the panel format we love so much and which is pretty much non-existant over there.

In any case, this guy does sound like he's gotten a raw deal, hopefully a decent resolution can be reached for him.

He hasn't actually quit though (from the way I read it anyway), he's just publicly leaving it in NBC's ballpark letting them decide what to do by telling them he won't move to the 12am slot. If he quits he loses a large chunk of money in his contract, by leaving it to them to decide they have to either get rid of him and pay him lots of money or get rid of Leno or whatever.

So let me get this straight: NBC has three chat shows on a night (O'Brian, Leno and Fallon) on one channel?

All with names that are almost exactly the same?

Three chat shows a night on the same channel? don't be ridiculous...

...it's actually FOUR in a fucking row! Although this is part of the dispute, usually there would only be three, but NBC had to put Leno somewhere to make way for Conan on the Tonight Show, so they crammed him into an earlier slot usually reserved for drama and pretty much killed their entire schedule in the process.

I guess it must be (relatively) cheap programming for the networks to fill the late night schedule with these type of shows.

What the hell? I always thought these shows were on different channels, like big rivals and that. Why are they all on NBC in the first place?

There are some on other channels too. Like Letterman.

500x_im-with-coco-20100112-154721.jpg

I love Conan O'Brien, I always try to make sure I can see it when I'm in the States, and Leno is an absolute cunt for fucking him over like this. He wrote Marge Vs The Monorail for fuck's sake!

What the hell? I always thought these shows were on different channels, like big rivals and that. Why are they all on NBC in the first place?

Me too! I'm confused, someone break down the US talk show scene for us please. :)

The major problem here, I think, is that the NBC executives have no sense or creative talent.

The obvious answer here is to keep Conan and the others in their timeslots, and give Jay Leno the chance to host an American version of Top Gear, considering he was so good as a guest on it here. I guess that couldn't be on every day though.

I believe it's as simple as the US having a big audience and talk shows are relatively popular and incredibly cheap to make, so there's a lot of them.

NBC have backed themselves into a corner and now they're stuck, and no matter what they decide they're going to lose out.

Me too! I'm confused, someone break down the US talk show scene for us please. :)

Originally the US late night scene looked like this:

NBC

11:35 - 12:35: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

12:35 - 1:35: Late Night with Conan O'Brien

1:35 - 2:35: Last Call with Carson Daly (this is on so late that no one watches it, hence Carson being the butt of everyone's jokes)

CBS

11:35 - 12:35: The Late Show with David Letterman

12:35 - 1:35: The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

ABC

11:35 - 12:35: Jimmy Kimmel Live!

FOX

No talk shows (except the Wanda Sykes Show, but that is weekly, on Saturdays)

COMEDY CENTRAL (a cable channel)

11:00 - 11:30: The Daily Show

11:30 - 12:00: The Colbert Report

So, what happened was that in 2004 NBC signed Conan as the replacement for Jay Leno in taking over the Tonight Show at 11:35 in 2009. A guy called Jimmy Fallon off of Saturday Night Live would take over the Late Night show. But as 2009 grew closer, Jay Leno decided that he didn't want to leave after all, and somehow convinced NBC to let him have a new show running weeknightly from 10:00 - 11:00 (Local news is shown at 11:00 - 11:35), which is traditionally when they show big dramas like ER and Law And Order. This already was screwing Conan over quite a lot by pre-empting him, but he still had the Tonight Show. But this new Jay Leno show was such a disaster that NBC have decided to move the Jay Leno Show to 11:35 - 12:05, and move the Tonight Show to 12:05 - 1:05, fucking over Conan and everyone who comes after him as well. It looks like Conan is just going to leave because of this, and Fox have already offered him a slot on their channel giving them a daily talk show too.

Originally the US late night scene looked like this:

NBC

11:35 - 12:35: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

12:35 - 1:35: Late Night with Conan O'Brien

1:35 - 2:35: Last Call with Carson Daly (this is on so late that no one watches it, hence Carson being the butt of everyone's jokes)

CBS

11:35 - 12:35: The Late Show with David Letterman

12:35 - 1:35: The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

ABC

11:35 - 12:35: Jimmy Kimmel Live!

FOX

No talk shows (except the Wanda Sykes Show, but that is weekly, on Saturdays)

COMEDY CENTRAL (a cable channel)

11:00 - 11:30: The Daily Show

11:30 - 12:00: The Colbert Report

So, what happened was that in 2004 NBC signed Conan as the replacement for Jay Leno in taking over the Tonight Show at 11:35 in 2009. A guy called Jimmy Fallon off of Saturday Night Live would take over the Late Night show. But as 2009 grew closer, Jay Leno decided that he didn't want to leave after all, and somehow convinced NBC to let him have a new show running weeknightly from 10:00 - 11:00 (Local news is shown at 11:00 - 11:35), which is traditionally when they show big dramas like ER and Law And Order. This already was screwing Conan over quite a lot by pre-empting him, but he still had the Tonight Show. But this new Jay Leno show was such a disaster that NBC have decided to move the Jay Leno Show to 11:35 - 12:05, and move the Tonight Show to 12:05 - 1:05, fucking over Conan and everyone who comes after him as well. It looks like Conan is just going to leave because of this, and Fox have already offered him a slot on their channel giving them a daily talk show too.

As bad as that looks, its still better than the shit we have late on our tv.