IGNORED

Playing Video Games Over The Phone

pobhockle

Remember there were loads of live TV shows that did this back in the 90's, one being (the quite frankly awful) Games World?

A caller would be on the line to play a single player game or even vs someone in the studio and they'd use the phone keys to control their character.

Yeah..

It was always painful to watch these types of challenge. It was slow and not quite believable that they were actually able to play using the phone..My guess was there was someone playing for them, usually badly, with a proper joypad?

Were you one of these Matthew Corbett types! on work experience! :D

It was like watching a really bad FMV adventure, or Dragon's Lair, or something; watch the routine dramatic moment of near-death, press the button (or not), and the whole thing pauses awkwardly before jumping to a good/bad sequence. I think Lorfarius once did a video review of Road Avenger for the Mega CD and back then I was reminded of these phone games. The annoying thing is that I reckon a few of the callers had pretty good reactions, but the delays and the crap nature of the game in general punished them unfairly...

I actually thought the previous iteration of the idea, where the user would yell the directions, was far better. Given, you knew there was a bloke at the other end with a pad, but it was far more compulsive viewing than the "phone keypad = joypad" games.

A version of Weird Dreams featured on Motormouth. It was a dog to control via joystick...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

And Magic Pockets! I'm sure that was on 'Going Live' or an ITV show ('What's Up Doc?'). I remember being very excited to get that game on my ST. Did Xenon 2 briefly make an appearance as a phone in game? For those two games the contestants who phoned didn't even use the phone keypad, they had to yell out the actions ("Left, left, left, left, right, jump. Jump. No, JUMP, JUUUUMP!"). Simultaneously hilarious and frustrating to watch.

And Magic Pockets! I'm sure that was on 'Going Live' or an ITV show ('What's Up Doc?'). I remember being very excited to get that game on my ST. Did Xenon 2 briefly make an appearance as a phone in game? For those two games the contestants who phoned didn't even use the phone keypad, they had to yell out the actions ("Left, left, left, left, right, jump. Jump. No, JUMP, JUUUUMP!"). Simultaneously hilarious and frustrating to watch.

It was Xenon (not 2) on Get Fresh

see also: Starglider.

Yeah. I had it, too. Wasn't it public domain for the Amiga?

I believe the game was german but never was sold for the amiga in the uk, so usually copies got around. eventually it started coming out on the ps1 etc it was a pretty awful game.

Magic Pockets on the other hand at least was very playable, if not a bit hard.

And Magic Pockets! I'm sure that was on 'Going Live' or an ITV show ('What's Up Doc?').

Always had a memory of seeing Magic Pockets on TV. I think i'd seen the TV version before I played the Atari ST version and was suprised when I realised what I was playing. It was years ago that I last played Magic Pockets. Must have been like 92 or something.