The Paradox Strategy Games Megathread

Rudi von Starnberg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 01/07/2018 at 10:46, Nespresso said:

Anyone played Surviving Mars yet? It's been getting mixed reviews on Steam but  I think it looks rather good! Still a bit expensive for an impulse purchase though. :P

Ive played the tutorial and started on one of the Very Easy campaigns to see if I can keep up, and its been a really nice experience so far. Its more like a traditional strategy game to control, compared to Stellaris. With a really cool idea in the way you interact with your sponsor corporation on Earth through a separate interface. And thankfully for someone like me, you can pause the game at any time like Stellaris and try and figure out what is going wrong. Ive been playing it on my desk with kb+m on an OG xbone (Game Pass), works great. A sort of hybrid setup with the controller if you want to use that as well.

There are a lot of items in the Build menus that you need to get acquainted with, like I got some prefab Sterling Generators from the mission setup but Im not sure how those are different to Solar Panels or Wind Turbines unless you take into account that panels need sunlight and so forth. They all produce power. A lot of stuff to cover, as in most strategy games. But its mesmerising to watch the little drones carry all of the differently coloured materials around to where you are building, and to stack them neatly into the storage areas so you can actually count every little resource as it moves around.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been absolutely hammering Surviving Mars since the weekend. 40 hours put in in four day... :huh: and I'm still on my first go.

I started with the tutorials - which are pretty good - and then moved straight onto my first go at getting a colony up and running. It was all going swimmingly, got up to 500+ colonists and then "things" happened (and I didn't realise that I had no metal until too late) and I was reduced down to just 6 and a single dome! Ffffff... luckily I got a cash injection at that point and started slowly building back up, much more careful and aware of my resources (especially the absolute essentials - concrete, water and metal).

I am now in a position where my terraforming efforts mean that I can plant trees! My research is complete, and yet I still need to keep an eye on those core resources. I think they've built this into a really good complete resource management game. There's no bloat really, typically in these games you get to a stage where you can just leave them running and come back an hour later to a tonne of resources - not in this, you can't leave it alone, when you walk away you pause the game.

Really enjoyable and right up my alley and as is typical of Paradox, best left until you can get a bundle of the DLC to really make the game. :) 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, RossW said:

Please don't fuck this one up, Paradox

In development since '18!

I hope its less of a railroad than V2. 

Lets celebrate with some Vicky2 music!

Quote from YouTube comments:  I think this song really captures the mood of the Victorian era- its visions, wonder, despair and outrageousness lol.