IGNORED

360 homebrew

probeater

Team XBMC won't be doing it:

The best reason to hack the original Xbox was that it was smaller and cheaper than any similarly speced computer. That simply is not the case with the 360.

But...

With that said, while the official dev team isn't especially interested in making a 360 port, it IS open source software. People in 'the scene' are always welcome to take the code and do with it as they will, so long as they remain compliant with the GPL.

From http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63224

You lose so much with a yarr-enabled 360 that I just can't see it ever taking off like the Xbox did. As CurryKitten says upthread it was as much about emulators and loading games from an HDD as it was the media centre - I didn't start getting the best out of Xbox XBMC until I'd had my Yod@box a few years; it was handy playing AVIs through filemode but things have moved on - entry-level media centre hard drives are cheap as chips and quieter to boot. Popcorn Hour can run the beautiful Aeon skin, the guy I quoted above references this which will do the job for 200 US. Or just put your laptop under the telly as angel says, which is what I do.

Maybe if they'd done this earlier on in the 360's life it might have taken off but things have moved on. They only still develop the Xbox version out of respect for their roots I think, it can't play HD stuff, can't run the newer fancy skins etc. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

You lose so much with a yarr-enabled 360 that I just can't see it ever taking off like the Xbox did

<snip>

Maybe if they'd done this earlier on in the 360's life it might have taken off but things have moved on.

Totally agree. I can't see this going very far. There's a chicken & egg thing with console homebrew, devs won't write apps or port stuff if there's only a handful of people that can use them, and no one is going to go through the effort of modding their console if there are no apps/emus

The Wii homebrew scene took a long time to get going and the Wii is a hundred times easier to mod for homebrew than this current 360 exploit

Shame coz this could be awesome, but it needs to work with NXE and not get you banned from Live. Which isn't going to happen

XBMC sure, but theres still no real "under the tv" box for emulation, and no other device that could run 360 games off a hard drive (properly rather then requiring a disc for ID checking)

Using a laptop/small pc/whatever does not offer a superior platform for tv based emulation (arcade cabinets yes, sofa playing no). While media playback is covered with other devices, the other benefits not so much. And a 360 costs a lot less then most alternative solutions which may only excel in one area.

Using a laptop/small pc/whatever does not offer a superior platform for tv based emulation (arcade cabinets yes, sofa playing no).

I seem to be managing quite well with my 3 year old laptop under the telly with a PS2 USB adaptor, actually (with a greater selection of emulators than you'll ever see on any console).

Probably a daft question, but why don't they do XBMC as a sanctioned download?

A whole lot of legal reasons mainly, pertaining to IP rights in the software and the licensing there of.

TL;DR - too expensive (see Nintendo's lack of support for things like DVD/MP3 playback, despite one of those being available initially).

Yeah but you probably will be able to eventually. When they get hacked servers up and that, like they did on Xbox 1.

You mean XLink Kai? Already available on 360, but with more restrictions (well, you have to meet a certain minimum ping, for a start).

I'm not too happy with this. Homebrew has been a good thing in the past because it was a good way of getting mame, media players and homebrew games on there.

But now you can do most of that with your laptop or xbox 1. There are many indie games and apps being put on it. Not every game has region protection and xbox games are pretty good for coming out on time everywhere at once (if you're big into importing you'd have an imported machine anyway).

All this hack really does is open it up to be raided on the high seas. The big games that could cope with that were already getting ripped ...this is getting the arcade and indie stuff that can't take it.

I disagree.

A media player would be more useful on 360 than Xbox1, if you want HD stuff. A nice frontend for all the major streaming services (iPlayer, youtube, 4od, etc.) would be great. Likewise more CPU grunt for emulators of more modern/powerful systems. And hey, maybe even a web browser (zomg) or a useable twitter client? (Or, in fact, a reverse-engineered Live client, that would be excellent. I bet it'd be relatively easy to implement too, seeing as the games don't use dedicated servers.) The XBLA 'arcade' and 'indie' programmes only offer a tiny fraction of the freeware/indie/homebrew stuff out there, and 'indie' severely restricts developer access to the hardware (and forces them to use specific tools).

The Wii and Xbox1 (and PSP I guess?) have shown that there are loads of useful applications for homebrew that are not served by manufacturer-sanctioned channels for one reason or another. It's not going to make piracy any worse than it already is.

You could make a better media pc out of an old pc than a 360. Most of us probably have something lying around that could push out HD video. You'd be able to do everything else on it too. All that and you wouldn't need to run it on a machine that could get bricked on an update.

Sorry, but I really think that the only thing left for such modding is piracy. Every console is doing a pretty good job of offering services, even if they haven't got them all working great yet, that pushed away the excuses for it.

You could make a better media pc out of an old pc than a 360. Most of us probably have something lying around that could push out HD video. You'd be able to do everything else on it too. All that and you wouldn't need to run it on a machine that could get bricked on an update.

Sorry, but I really think that the only thing left for such modding is piracy. Every console is doing a pretty good job of offering services, even if they haven't got them all working great yet, that pushed away the excuses for it.

Pretty much all the homebrew stuff I use on the Wii could be done on a laptop. The Wii just gives a more convenient interface to play around with it.

I think it's fair to say that the 360 could be improved a bit as a media player.

You'd prevent it from autoupdating, obv.

I think it's fair to say that the 360 could be improved a bit as a media player.

You'd prevent it from autoupdating, obv.

But then you need two machines. One for the legit stuff and one for the modded stuff. It doesn't become convenient any more. You're going to end up with another box under your TV, and in that case you'd be better off with something else.

That is, unless you want to yarr.

I'm not knocking Wii modding as much. Apart from it's crap browser it doesn't have much going for it and a few new modded features are nifty additions. The wii doesn't have enough things you'd miss on if you modded it. But even then, I still feel like they are excuses to opening up the machine to piracy ...just better excuses.

I really don't think there's much mileage in this, TBH. Unless it becomes a massively easy softmod, people are surely going to stick with the easiest route to homebrew under the telly - either the Wii, or and old Xbox, or making do with the built-in media and emulation capabiliites of unmodded consoles, which (whilst leagues behind homebrew) are getting better all the time.

I really don't think there's much mileage in this, TBH. Unless it becomes a massively easy softmod,

the xbox1 was hacked at least 12 months before the first softmod iirc. Judging the potential impact simply because there is no softmod is a little too dismissive for my liking. Granted, thats were the explosion in interest will come, but the groundwork has to come first. This will let people really get into the system, making it easier to develop a softmod. The horse comes before the cart ;)

True, true. OK, then: I don't think this will go anywhere until an easy softmod is available. It's good that the groundwork will be in place.

I still think it's gonna need an Xbox that never connects to Live, though, and I don't think all that many folk will want two 360's under the same telly. Good use for banned/knackered drive units, though.

• 5 months later...

So not many people messing around with 360 homebrew then?

ive just started and it seems pretty decent, Mame is good, but a bit out of date. Though the great thing is it doesnt lock up if you try a rom that doesnt work, unlike the wii and xbox versions.

CPX3 is a nice little Capcom system 3 emu which runs the games well

Xbox1 emulation is also supposed to be pretty good, using a hacked version of the compatibilty file. ive tried a handful of titles and they work fine.

anyone else trying out any of the homebrew?

People seem to be selling them still though through eBay etc. Eventually there'll be none left though obviously.

They're pre jasper models with no warranties either- doubt the scene will last as the consoles probably won't.

It's quite interesting, there are people out there who, aswell as modding the 360 to allow it do homebrew, are also modding it to be red ring proof, ie adding an extra fan and resoldering or using silver paste on the weak points. There seems to be quite a demand for them due to the modding available for modern warfare 2, so I doubt it will die out for quite a while, but the consoles will get less and less scarce.