IGNORED

N64 Flickery CRT Screen

Sheepdisease

Hello, I've got a Panasonic Quintix 27" CRT Flatscreen TV and I decided to get my old console out. I bought this Nintendo 64 N64 Audio Video Cable: http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/shopexd....d=190&bc=no so that I could get sound to my av ampifier and used a scart adapter in order to get the image. Unfortunately, I am getting a really blurry picture, which is also flickery. Could anyone suggest what I can do about this, explain why it is happening and give me your thoughts?

Thank you for your consideration.

Hello, I've got a Panasonic Quintix 27" CRT Flatscreen TV and I decided to get my old console out. I bought this Nintendo 64 N64 Audio Video Cable: http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/shopexd....d=190&bc=no so that I could get sound to my av ampifier and used a scart adapter in order to get the image. Unfortunately, I am getting a really blurry picture, which is also flickery. Could anyone suggest what I can do about this, explain why it is happening and give me your thoughts?

Thank you for your consideration.

Its simply the fact that your using a composite cable, it literally just one step up from rf.

Rf mixes audio and video into a single stream, composite separates left and right audio but still has a mixed video source.

The N64's best output (unless its modded for rgb) is s-video so thats the cable you should buy.

Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/phono-Plugs-SVHS-v...6542&sr=8-8

Some people suggest the rgb mod but i never liked it, s-video looks good on the N64 although it does depend on your t.v. (my Sonys s-video picture is awesome but my Panasonic isn't so hot)

Hope this helps.

Its simply the fact that your using a composite cable, it literally just one step up from rf.

Rf mixes audio and video into a single stream, composite separates left and right audio but still has a mixed video source.

The N64's best output (unless its modded for rgb) is s-video so thats the cable you should buy.

Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/phono-Plugs-SVHS-v...6542&sr=8-8

Some people suggest the rgb mod but i never liked it, s-video looks good on the N64 although it does depend on your t.v. (my Sonys s-video picture is awesome but my Panasonic isn't so hot)

Hope this helps.

Hello F-zero,

thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the link to the cable you recommended. The television is a Panasonic Quintrix 27" and I don't think that it has an s-video connection. I have lots of scart adapter, one accepts s-video, would that still give me the same quality as connecting the s-video to the TV?

Hello F-zero,

thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the link to the cable you recommended. The television is a Panasonic Quintrix 27" and I don't think that it has an s-video connection. I have lots of scart adapter, one accepts s-video, would that still give me the same quality as connecting the s-video to the TV?

Yes it would. On my old Panasonic TV there was an option for AV2 or AV2S in a menu somewhere which meant s-video over the second scart socket. A lead like this will do the trick:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910

Do all N64s do s-video? I seem to remember reading that some of the later ones don't, but I may well be wrong about that.

Yes it would. On my old Panasonic TV there was an option for AV2 or AV2S in a menu somewhere which meant s-video over the second scart socket. A lead like this will do the trick:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910

Do all N64s do s-video? I seem to remember reading that some of the later ones don't, but I may well be wrong about that.

Hello Mr-Monday, thank you for your response.

That's right about the AV2 option on the Panasonic TV.

I have no idea about the other stuff, if I needed a cable then I would get the one you recommended (thank you)!

Let's see what happened when I receive that cable recommended by F-zero.

Hello, I got the lead today.

I plugged it into a scart adaptor, which accepts s-video. The picture I got from my N64 was crystal clear, but black and white. Can you please suggest how I might rectify this?

Thank you.

That sounds like your TV doesn't support S-Video. If you have an AV-2S channel on your TV then it should work, otherwise you'll need a new TV to use that cable.

It could just be the cable, try wiggling it slightly or pushing it in harder. Svideo cables split the video into 2 signals, one for chroma (colour) and one for luminance (brightness). It could be that the colour signal isn't getting through to your tv resulting in a black and white picture. A bit of a wiggle can fix this - it's happened to me before when using a cheap svideo cable.

Other than that it could be a PAL/NTSC issue with your tv... but let's hope not.

Thank you both for your support.

The TV has an inbuilt s-video connector on the front panel, as well as red/white phono connectors. I have ability to switch between tv/av1,2,2.5,3 and 3.5. When I plug it in directly to the TV, I cannot get it to display any picture (don't know why). When I connect it to the scart adapter, which is connected to a scart switcher, which is then connected to the TV via scart.

I tried twisting it around and pushing it in harder, neither made a difference. It is a PAL tv and PAL N64.

Have you tried bypassing the scart switcher? It's worth a go. What happens when you use the s-video connection of the front?

Sorry I wasn't clear before, yes I have tried plugging it into the front panel,

I did plug it into the front panel and couldn't get it to display a picture.

Tried all av numbers.

I couldn't get the pdf to load properly. I can't think of any reason why it's not working. Especially in the s-video socket! Do you just get a black screen, or is it black and white like the scart? Is it an NTSC N64? Not that it should matter. I played loads of import consoles both in RGB and s-video on my old Panasonic 4:3 crt.

I couldn't get the pdf to load properly. I can't think of any reason why it's not working. Especially in the s-video socket! Do you just get a black screen, or is it black and white like the scart? Is it an NTSC N64? Not that it should matter. I played loads of import consoles both in RGB and s-video on my old Panasonic 4:3 crt.

Did you click the link on the page that appears?

Black screen, not like when connected via scart adapter and scart block.

How do you tell if it is an NTSC N64? I don't think it is, it has the normal UK plug.

The pdf is working now. So what happens when you cycle between AV2 and AV2(S)? I've no idea why the front s-video socket isn't working. Do you think it could be broken? Does your S-Vid -> Adaptor have any switches on it? Got any photos of it? The problem is, the N64 isn't my area of expertise.

The pdf is working now. So what happens when you cycle between AV2 and AV2(S)? I've no idea why the front s-video socket isn't working. Do you think it could be broken? Does your S-Vid -> Adaptor have any switches on it? Got any photos of it? The problem is, the N64 isn't my area of expertise.

Hello Mr-Monday,

nothing hapens when I cycle through AV2 and AV2(S). There is no reason for me to think that it is broken, as it hasn't been used before. The adapter does have a switch on it (input/output). When you have it on the one, it shows a black and white picture. When on the other, it shows the freeview box. The adapter: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:EOIBSA:GB:1123.

OK, just read through the thread.

If your playing games you bought over here without an adapter its a Uk N64.

Regarding the cable, check the 4 pin connector and make sure that that none of the pins are are broken or bent.

Also, with my panasonic i have to set s-video in the menu under external connections, the choice is composite or s-video so you could check that out.

Let me know how you get on.

OK, just read through the thread.

If your playing games you bought over here without an adapter its a Uk N64.

Regarding the cable, check the 4 pin connector and make sure that that none of the pins are are broken or bent.

Also, with my panasonic i have to set s-video in the menu under external connections, the choice is composite or s-video so you could check that out.

Let me know how you get on.

Hello F-Zero,

the games are from the UK, yes. As is the N64.

The cable fits perfectly and has no bent pins (all four are where you would expect them).

168cu2d.jpg

2lwlv2s.jpg

1236puu.jpg

Hello guys, the cable I bought seems to be the problem?

I sent the seller an email and he doesn't have a clue why it isn't working, so he refunded me without asking me to send it back or having to ask!

Any more recommendations of another cable similar to this that I can buy and see if that works?

Maybe it's your TV that's broken. It flickers with composite, the front s-video socket doesn't work and it's black and white on AV2. Doesn't look good!

Hello Mr-Monday,

you misunderstand. Flickers with composite? Have I tried composite?

Maybe this is the time where I mention that I also have a Nintendo Wii hooked up to the TV, which works perfectly using red, white and yellow cable to a scart adapter (not on AV2, but AV1)! (lol) The s-video cable was connected using a scart adapter too, to the same scart box. This is when I get a black and white picture with the s-video lead. Essentially, both were connected in the same way and both are actived in the same way (pressing one of three buttons on the front of the box to select the relevant source).

Any ideas?

It doesn't make any sense that the cable doesn't work at all through the S-Video port on the front if it displays some kind of picture via the scart adapter.

Does your Wii work through the front panel connection (take the scart adapter off the composite cable)? If so, does it display on both AV3 and AV3.5?

Is there any option in your TV menu that allows you to select between the 4Pin S-video and the basic composite video cable for AV3?

Does any sound come out when you connect the N64 through the front?

F-Zero mentioned this before:

Did you do this?

It doesn't make any sense that the cable doesn't work at all through the S-Video port on the front if it displays some kind of picture via the scart adapter.

Does your Wii work through the front panel connection (take the scart adapter off the composite cable)? If so, does it display on both AV3 and AV3.5?

Is there any option in your TV menu that allows you to select between the 4Pin S-video and the basic composite video cable for AV3?

Does any sound come out when you connect the N64 through the front?

F-Zero mentioned this before:

Did you do this?

I can't get the wii cable to reach to the front unfortunately! By the way, I was wrong about the 3 and 3.5 thing. It is 3S!

When I plugged the phono leads into the front and clicked through to 3S, I got sound but no picture:

View Example

108_0299.MOV

It does make sense to me, in a way. I had a Panasonic TV of a similar age and I have the same problem with the front port S-Video. sometimes was colour, mostly always black and white when I used it. That was for many different consoles tested, both NTSC and PAL. If I used a S-Video/scart adapter on the back then it did work. I think it's likley to be an issue with Panasonic TV's.

Edit: Hold on!

Game Cube and N64 S-video cables are wired differently I think, maybe that's the problem. A gamecube cable that's sold as an N64 one as they do look the same.

Hello Mr-Monday,

you misunderstand. Flickers with composite? Have I tried composite?

Using the red/white/yellow cables via a SCART adaptor is composite. SCART is confusing because it can carry three difference types of video signals - composite, s-video and RGB.