Dead Space 2

So even though I loved the first game and Extraction on the Wii I've only now started this. I've played it for about 2 hours now and it's certainly very Dead Spacey. Bit by the numbers so far though.

When I returned to the main menu I noticed there was a multiplayer option and wouldn't you know it, after I selected 'quick match' I got into a game in seconds! A full lobby even! Kind of amazing that in 2014 there is still an Dead Space 2 multiplayer community lol.

• 6 years later...
6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I really like the intersection of “great design” and “oh shit we need to do this cheap” there.

As the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention 

I also enjoyed the dawning realisation I had that the game's budgetary concern was much like that of a TV show, with some episodes getting a much larger proportion of the budget, and a bottle episode or two needed to rein in the costs.

5 hours ago, jdanddiet said:

Necropost alert!

I wrote a feature on this for Eurogamer in case anyone is interested. It came out ten years ago!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-07-dissecting-dead-space-2s-most-memorable-level

Read that this morning (it randomly popped up on my Google news feed on the phone), nice piece of work. I too liked the fact the level was driven by needing to do something cheaply. 

10 years ago...christ.

I enjoyed this article a lot as well. Coincidentally I'd ju.st watched a whole playthrough of Dead Space 2 on Youtube so it was perfect timing - although in the video they skipped to the action on that level which missed up all the buildup. For me it was the scariest part of the game, the anticipation was brilliant and the nostalgia was great. They could have just used the ship assets wholescale so I really like that they added the contamination zone trimmings, it made it even creepier. I even remember the first enemy, a black necromorph from the vents in a corridor if I recall, because it scared the shit out of me! It was great to hear from the devs and the interesting tidbits, good stuff!

17 hours ago, jdanddiet said:

Necropost alert!

I wrote a feature on this for Eurogamer in case anyone is interested. The game came out ten years ago!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-07-dissecting-dead-space-2s-most-memorable-level

Awesome article. I loved this game, though I've been putting off trying it on Hardcore for (ten!) years now because the game still makes me very tense (especially that last damn necromorph, but also many of the set-pieces).

Btw, there's some kind of weird cock-up near the end:
"It's an abrupt 'magic door' end to a fantastic section of video gaminGetting you on the way back in decontaminationg that remains one of the finest pieces of horror design of the last twenty years"

6 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Awesome article. I loved this game, though I've been putting off trying it on Hardcore for (ten!) years now because the game still makes me very tense (especially that last damn necromorph, but also many of the set-pieces).

Btw, there's some kind of weird cock-up near the end:
"It's an abrupt 'magic door' end to a fantastic section of video gaminGetting you on the way back in decontaminationg that remains one of the finest pieces of horror design of the last twenty years"

Thanks i noticed that and have let my editor know.

Man, Dead Space 2 is such a good game. While the return to the Ishimura is definitely a highlight, the trek through the elementary school is fantastic as well.

I really hope The Callisto Protocol can live up to it as we need more sci-fi horror.

2 hours ago, jdanddiet said:

Thanks i noticed that and have let my editor know.

I see that it's been fixed already. That's quick work! A couple of minor points that I also noted (apologies for the amateur proof-reading here).

• This depends on the EG style guide and the game's official name for chapter 10, but shouldn't "Déjà vu On The Ishimura" be "Déjà Vu on the Ishimura" to avoid capitalization of the preposition and article?
  • Some inconsistent references to the level itself. Throughout the article, it's written as "chapter 10" and then at the very end it changes to "Chapter Ten".
On 11/05/2021 at 11:08, Talvalin said:

I see that it's been fixed already. That's quick work! A couple of minor points that I also noted (apologies for the amateur proof-reading here).

• This depends on the EG style guide and the game's official name for chapter 10, but shouldn't "Déjà vu On The Ishimura" be "Déjà Vu on the Ishimura" to avoid capitalization of the preposition and article?
  • Some inconsistent references to the level itself. Throughout the article, it's written as "chapter 10" and then at the very end it changes to "Chapter Ten".

I capitalise all words in names for all my clients as they seem to prefer it in general, even if the original does not.

Good spot on the ten. Just testing ;-). If that's the worst mistake I made, I'm happy