IGNORED

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

The Sarge

A few years ago I attended a presentation by the writers of the latter two PoPs. They apparently started from scratch trying to bring the series 'up to speed' with modern times. I was kind of flabbergasted while I sat there. It was as if they were literally slaughtering the goose with the golden eggs live on stage. Somehow it was far from surprising to find out they had a background in film, rather than games.

That the guys still managed to land more contracts (they did Army of Two, new PoP and the ACs, for instance) was just mind-boggling in a way. They certainly know how to push a publisher's buttons, and fair cop to them, but you could say they are 'from the wrong side of the tracks' for us Muk'ers.

It does seem weird, in that some of the best bits of Sands of Time were things that they’d taken from films – i.e., the fact that the game is narrated by the Prince, and the classic structure of his relationship with Farrah (they start off hating each other, they help each other survive, they love each other). These are pretty basic things, but they really helped the game’s narrative. The same goes for the “kakalookia” thing, which I thought was copied from the “Rollo Temassi” bit from LA Confidential – not original, but effective.

I’d assumed the above was thanks to Jordan Mechner having worked in the film industry after leaving the games world; I’m really surprised that the writers of Warrior Within and Two Thrones had film backgrounds, because the writing in those games seemed to be classic bad games writing. One of the best things about Farrah in SoT was that she was a strong female character who was still feminine, whereas the latter two games’ idea of a strong female character is one that dresses like a dominatrix and acts like a man.

Of course, the fact that they had a film background doesn’t mean they were any good at it.

Yeah heard about this yesterday. Looking forward to it.

I was one of the people that loved the last game. I don't think its anywhere near as good as the original sands of time though, so I hope it goes more in that direction.

Not fussed about the graphic style (i did like the cel shaded look, but wouldnt mind a style back to the sands of time era)

The game is not backwards compatible with anything. The 360, however, is backwards compatible with the game, according to this list.

Don't ruin another thread with pedantry please. You knew what he meant.

Anyway, just looked at the teaser site for this and there's a shadow of what looks like the Warrior Within prince. Or it could be Jake Gyllenhall.

Don't ruin another thread with pedantry please. You knew what he meant.

Anyway, just looked at the teaser site for this and there's a shadow of what looks like the Warrior Within prince. Or it could be Jake Gyllenhall.

Both probably. Jake wears the WW outfit in the film.

The SoT 'trilogy' is all on Steam for reasonable moneys now, and I imagine they don't require a particularly powerful setup to run properly. Do they support control pads? (I know BG&E doesn't, from the same era.)

I remember buying SoT on PC (for the second time - I'd already got an Xbox version) with a control pad - so I'd say they probably do support them.

• 2 weeks later...
So no comments on the trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/prince-of-spike-tv/59825

Now that's just a CGI teaser thingy, but even still it looks a bit, erm, blah.

Uninspiring and horribly generic looking. If Sands wasn't such a great game I doubt I'd ever check this out again. Why is it that game and film companies can't come up with great sequels and have to churn out "re-imaginings" of games that don't need it? More of the same is often what people want, yet they lose sight of that with their "oooh let's add this new (shitty) feature" ideas, and then have to try and claw back some credibility 5 years later by cribbing the whole of the first game/film due to a lack of competent design staff and sensible directors/producers. Only they make a crap job of it and we all facepalm.

Bored Now/10