Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Asura

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

I did, many years ago. It's slower-paced than Diablo from what my hazy memory tells me, and massive. I don't think I ever played all that much of it, though. 

I tried it a while ago, but just didn't have the time. It looked quite good.

On 27/04/2021 at 09:18, Gabe said:

It's Champions: Return to Arms. 

I've got the first game but I don't recognize the 2nd game. Seems to have passed me by. I'll have to give it a whirl.

On 26/04/2021 at 22:02, Nathan Wind said:

No, but visually it really reminds me of Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast, which is brilliant.

Had to Google that! Odd name for a game. Yes it looks really similar and looks good too.

20 minutes ago, bplus said:

Had to Google that! Odd name for a game. Yes it looks really similar and looks good too.

It's very good and was ahead of its time with a fully rotatable camera, teleporting back to town and a quick menu for spells.  Really cool game.

It's from an Anime series, I think. Hence the strange title.

On 26/04/2021 at 22:02, Nathan Wind said:

No, but visually it really reminds me of Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast, which is brilliant.

All I remember about that game was finding some iron boots and being driven mad by the CLANG CLANG CLANG of every step from then on.. :lol:

All I remember about it is the sheer surprise of seeing it one summers day on the shelf of Game, Kingston.  Most games of the time were previewed to death in the Official Dreamcast Mag and also delayed multiple times, but this came out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, MDY said:

All I remember about that game was finding some iron boots and being driven mad by the CLANG CLANG CLANG of every step from then on.. :lol:

Yes, the off balance sound design is the only bad thing about Lodoss on DC. The footsteps are ridiculous! There was an amiga/ST game of a similar ilk which had that issue as well. Boots of extra loud stomping +1.

11 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

All I remember about it is the sheer surprise of seeing it one summers day on the shelf of Game, Kingston.  Most games of the time were previewed to death in the Official Dreamcast Mag and also delayed multiple times, but this came out of nowhere.

I was just about to say I read a lot of Dreamcast mags back then but never ever heard of this. Goes to show how many games I probably missed out on due to either not appearing in magazines or getting bad scores (fuck edge in particular, looking back they preferred art house wank compared to what I actually enjoy!) :)

I bought Record of Lodoss War based on the hype in some forum or other. Got it second hand for a decent price and never got to grips with it. I still don't know why.

Predictably, I bought this Dark Alliance re-release on PS5 despite already having it on Xbox and PS2.  It's worth the asking price to bung it on the big telly and sound system and kick back in the living room playing it, rather than slumming it on a little CRT up in the retro room.  Also, I'll be able to couch co-op it with m'chum with whom I used to system link it on Xbox back in the day :D

It's as enjoyable as ever, only bigger and louder.

As an aside, it's remarkable how small a 28" CRT telly seems these days.  I swear they were huge when I was young.