The Baking Thread

What variations can I make to my regular brownie recipe?

I've got an orange version and a marshmallow version, both of which go down very well with work friends. There is a guy with a nut allergy, so I can't add any walnuts or pecans. One girl is a veggie, so she couldn't have the marshmallow version (I only remembered once she went for a piece sadly).

Cheers, baking chums.

Other ideas for brownie variations: any type of sweet liquor (Kahlua, Baileys, Cointreau/ Grand Marnier, Tia Maria etc,) any type of chocolate be it dark, milk, mint, white or simply chopped up pieces of your favourite chocolate bars, cream cheese, shredded coconut, caramel, cookies etc.

Alternately you can also make your base with white chocolate and bake the "blondies" version of brownies instead and add dark/milk chocolate chips to the mix. The white choc version however tends to be a bit heavy on the sweet side and can be "balanced out" a bit by serving it with for instance some fresh raspberries on the side. (chocolate+rasberries = pure win)

Options are endless, just play around with what tastes good to you.

(And btw your workplace/co-workers must be good people for you to keep bringing them treats like that. That's nice :) )

• 1 month later...

Do tarts count as baking? I've not really done them before, but I've made a caramelised onion tart for tommorrow. I've even made my own pastry and it looks reasonably good. A bit darker on the side that was at the back of the oven. I probably should have rotated it or something I guess.

One thing I'm not sure of though is if I should have left it in the flan tin to cool though? I've taken it out and put it on a wire rack and it doesn't look to be falling apart...

post-5441-058757000 1321111721_thumb.jpg

Yeah tarts count as baking! :)

That looks really good, is it your first try at a homemade tart? Well done if so!

For future reference if your stuff is browning too much you can always cover it with some greaseproof or foil once it's reached the desired colour.

A few bits from last week.

A friend from the pub gave me a load of apples that had fell from his tree. He's no cook and had no use for them. I whacked them in a pie with some rhubarb.

applerhu.jpg

Some salt, pepper and rosemary focaccia bread. Froze half, ate the rest with "left over veg soup".

foccacia.jpg

And, an Aero cheesecake, as we were invited for Sunday lunch and I hate to turn up open handed.

aeron.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We've kicked off this years Christmas cookery today and first off is Gingerbread cookies.

I've been working the rolling pin while Sunniva (7) and Birk (5) have been doing the cutting. This year Sunniva went for cookie cutters in the shape of "Knerten" and "Karoline" - two characters from a Norwegian childrens movie. In the movie the characters are sweethearts and so she came up with the idea to give them tiny hearts outside on their chests. (she's at that age)

Her brother on the other hand went for dinosaurs, traditional gingerbread men, smelly feet (according to him) and lorries. Sunniva decided to help him decorate some of them though and cut out tiny hearts and stars from them. These were, incidentally, the same hearts and stars that went on decorating her cookies....:D

post-12453-052207800 1322312917_thumb.jp

Got to love the weekends :)

I've always enjoyed cooking so I've started to try my hand at baking. Nothing too adventurous yet, baked various cookies and flapjacks. Also made quite a few super nice baked blueberry cheesecakes and today I made a nice marble sponge cake, god I love baking :D

I highly recommend the blueberry cheesecake (or any baked cheesecakes) they are the tits.

e0sj8l.jpg

2qxbaix.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some recent bakes whilst I wait for today's bake to cool for icing (today's bake is a Mary Berry Maple Syrup cake for a Weekly bake challenge, smells good so far!)

Choc Brownies

img0822rc.jpg

And the best bread I've ever managed to make thanks to a little help from this blog

img0828dk.jpg

I made some flapjacks for my friends at work. This was my first go making them and they were very easy to make. I used the "perfect flapjack" recipe from The Guardian and added some jumbo raisins. I needed to alter the baking times slightly. I wanted chewy, but with a slightly firmer/browner crust, so I added another 10 mins at 190C. Sadly, I'm off sweets, so I didn't have any, but they smelled very nice indeed.

6750975409_329a38dc31_z.jpg

IMAG0138 by Thush, on Flickr

They went down even better than my brownies.

I made the Blackberry & Cinnamon from Dan Lepards Short & Sweet. I ran out of |Wholemeal flour so added some Wholenmeal Bread Flour so its a bit heavier. On reflection i shoudl have used white flour but i was making it on the sneak while working from home so under time pressure. Re-Used some Cake bunting my wife had bought for our Sons birthday :)

Its a nice cake, not traditional at all...

post-1433-096280600 1327484617_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd post a few of my recent creations.

These are some of the cupcakes I made for a friend's Strictly Come Dancing party (tried to make them glittery like the show!):

post-18881-0-00574700-1328910490_thumb.j

post-18881-0-55994100-1328910589_thumb.j

And some carrot cake cupcakes with handmade carrot sugar paste decorations (which took a little while and although left to harden, went soft once put on the icing - won't make that mistake again!)

post-18881-0-46922800-1328910676.jpg

Thinking of making some brownies this weekend - have found a recipe that uses unusual ingredients, so will see how that pans out - and if my resident taste tester notices the difference!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm cooking for some friends on Friday and I don't currently have a plan! Except that I'd like to bake bread of some description, so that when they arrive the smell fills the house.

I'd prefer to make the bread Thursday night if possible so there is no messing with it Friday - I can just bang it in the oven and bake.

Any recommendations for that/for what I could do?

Just got back from running our first stall at a local market with a few friends. Sold just over £500 of stuff between us with varying profit margins! Good fun but pretty pretty hard work, don't think we'll give up the day jobs just yet!

Chocolate Cake Pops:

flav_emp%20001.jpg

My mate Graeme (the driving force behind the enterprise) manning the stall:

flav_emp%20002.jpg

Some fruited scones:

flav_emp%20011.jpg

More snaps here: https://www.dropbox....porium?h=5e674b

As Commander Jameson said, pics not showing up in the thread Dr Slotter, but I checked out the dropbox link and found lots of nice pics there of the stall and baked goods. I have to hand it to you (and your friends): Everything looks absolutely delicious. Nice work!

Dino: I just saw your post and know this is many days too late, but just for future purposes, if you need a nice and easy recipe for bread to use as starters or as a side dish, I'd go with a simple focaccia recipe. Can't go wrong with something like this:

http://www.jamieoliv...semary-focaccia

Easy to make and tasty to boot. You can alter the topping to your liking as well, I often use black olives with the salt/rosemary/spices, or if you want to make it a bit richer (more as a dish on its own) you can add feta cheese, sundried tomatoes etc.....go nuts.

Worth a try :)

Sorry, was trying to be clever with DropBox earlier and obviously failed! Pics should now be there.

My GF is the baking talent in our household, even though I come from a family of professional bakers, but I'm in charge of chatting up middle-aged ladies on market stalls... :D

There they are now...looking good :)

edit: In other words you're the one doing the pulling and securing all the sales. Your GF is an excellent baker obviously, but for £500 worth of stuff you must've been doing something right as well. Go team Flavour Emporium!:D