rllmuk
Rebs

The Baking Thread

It is yeah. I was going to decorate the bag more but it looked a bit too much, like I was just putting things on it cos I could. I prefered the cleaner look of the plain bag in the end.

It's charity cake day at work on Wednesday but I can't think of a design to do.

I saw a similar cake online and based it on that.

A girl at work has just passed some beauty course at college and one of her pals asked me to make a cake for her.

It's a vanilla sponge covered in icing, no marzipan. The nick nacks are just icing / fondant as well.

Yeah, looks pretty basic but the sponges look neat, and what is the filling? Jam and buttercream? Making a good sponge is a staple that will serve you well if you can get it right consistently, I've fucked it up so many times! If you covered the whole thing in cream cheese x icing sugar (I forget the name for this icing) frosting, you'd have a professional looking base you could then decorate or leave plain as appropriate.

I tried some amazing brownie fingers from a friend's bakery place the other week. I should have taken photos of them.

I really should do some baking.

Had the in-laws over for coffee yesterday evening, so I whipped up a cake. This is a local cake known as "Kvæfjordkake" or "Verdens beste" which translates roughly into something no less promising than "Best there is":

post-12453-033479900 1297111837_thumb.jp post-12453-004899800 1297112022_thumb.jp

I'm not sure it's everything it promises, but it is certainly good though :)

• Upvote 2

Haha, are you sure you're not a food photographer, stiff? Amazing pics as always. That middle one with the frosting dripping down the sides is like one of those sexily voiced M&S adverts. Weirdly, as coffee is close to my favourite thing in the world, I don't like coffee-flavoured anything, but those look fantastic and as always with you, the amazing colour!

Merethe, that looks fantastic. Is it meringue?

I've never done much in the way of baking but I keep getting the urge to get into it.

:D Cheers.

My photography tips:

Put iPhone close to food

Touch to focus

Take pic

Srs, all you need is a bright light in your kitchen and you're golden. Haven't tried the cake yet, but the choc/coffee muffins were good. So good I ate 3 and now feel sick.

Is it meringue?

I've never done much in the way of baking but I keep getting the urge to get into it.

That it is Blue :)

It's a pretty basic victoria sponge with filling, but with a layer of meringue and a sprinkle of sliced blanched and toasted almonds on top. You bake it in a large baking tray, cut it in half and use one half as top and one as bottom. That way you get meringue on both sides and whipped cream/vanilla custard mix filling inbetween. :)

@ Stiff, that cake sounds and looks absolutely delicious!

I've done a fair bit of baking this weekend as it was Mother's Day today in Norway, so I made two cakes yesterday and babkas and buns today as we had invited a bunch of family over this afternoon. I forgot to take a pic of the chocolate cake before cutting into it, but here are a few pics of what I've cooked up in the kitchen this weekend:

Strawberry layer cake with strawberry jam, whipped creme, rum custard and fresh berries.

post-12453-092983500 1297641218_thumb.jp

One chocolate/almond and one cinnamon babka. (No old ladies were robbed before the taking of these pics :P )

post-12453-044505900 1297641232_thumb.jp

Piece of the layer cake. Dark chocolate cake with beetroot and lots of 70 percent dark chocolate in the base, and a milk chocolate frosting, Cardemom Buns (in the shape of hearts for the occasion) with vanilla custard glased with icing sugar and shredded coconut.

post-12453-030682900 1297641206_thumb.jppost-12453-008347900 1297641242_thumb.jppost-12453-067215700 1297641211_thumb.jp

:)

• Upvote 3

Recipe for the chocaccino muffins please, Sir stiff_one?

Ok so I used up my spare sponge from the choc layer of the other cake, which is the same as the sponge from this receipe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/nov/26/features11.g21

And topped them with a similar icing, very simple, and you can always of course add the type of icing you prefer. the one I made was:

Cream cheese (Philadelphia), approx 200g

Icing Sugar approx 400g

A little bit (2-3 tbsp) of very strong coffee (i.e. brewed coffee, not just the grounds), e.g. espresso coffee. I actually just got a bag from Brazil from a friend, so I packed up the Moka pot super tight and brewed some. I made it a lot stronger than I'd normally drink (or anyone could really drink I reckon). You don't want to add to much water to the mixture.

Some cocoa powder to help deepen the colour

A little bit of butter (unsalted is best), melted.

Those measurements were way too much in the end, for both the cake and the muffins, but you can adjust accordingly - or make more sponge!

Blue and Hawkeye, thanks a lot you two, that's what a girl likes to hear, hehe.

edit: and Poppalarge too!

I've got quite a big family and we were a lot of people gathered together that day, so all the baked goods came to good use :)

I for one want an update on those cookies once you've tried em. Cookies are cakes too I say, and any recipe with Oreos in it has to be tried at least once. In other words, good luck on those Oreo filled choc chips 88h88 and let us know how they turned out :)

And on a side note, while we're speaking of Oreos. My bf asked me ever so nicely a few days ago if I could make an Oreo cake, as it's one of his favourites and I haven't baked one in a long time. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend, so there'll be pics to follow once it's done.

Not strictly baking as it went nowhere near an oven, but still, I made some peanut butter fudge this morning.

tumblr_lgtaabMIrW1qe8m9co1_500.jpg

It's very rich though, and theres more than that one jar so I can see it lasting us a fair while!