rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
j.m.ratkos

The RROD thread

My second one went last week. The first (launch)blew after about 13 months (I think) and i got a free replacement. The replacement has now gone after about 8 months (maybe) and MS say that it's covered by warranty still.

Tidy I reckon.

So he's been gagged then.

It would be interesting to dig out the interview he mentions regarding the production of the original xbox, interviews with Moore, Bach, Allard, etc. before the failure issues came to light, and the various corporate blogs of xbox team employees and note anywhere that they've stated that they "don't talk about" production.

Thats some first class question dodging.

I blame the interviewer. Don't keep asking the same question...complain that it's not being answered and ask different questions, like, "Why will you not comment on your customers' concerns?" "Don't you feel it is arrogant to be so evasive when people have paid a lot of money for your product?" "Don't you feel people have a right to have their concerns addressed responsibly?" "When will Microsoft be prepared to give straight answers to questions of the 360's perceived poor build quality?"

I'm pretty sure it's far worse than that.

I know about 20-25 people with a X360 and at least 12 people have had to return their console for repair at least once, some people 2-3 times.

I've had 2 knackered machines :D

Well my 360 died tonight, hardware failure is the error code 3 red lights on the circle.

I feel kind of happy to be in the 'my 360 died' club, in some sick sort of way.

Its about 8-9 months old and really does not get played much, poor show.

I am also going to ask Microsoft why after 3 phone calls to their helpline over the last few months I still have not received my 'free' gamerpoints for signing upto Xbox live last year (a 'special' offer they are now repeating it seems).

I keep getting one red ring - bottom right corner.

And it says System Failure on the screen. I don't believe this to be RROD but it's probably on it's way and only two months old.

Advice?

Get it replaced. One Ring is a Hard Drive failure, which means you can either exchange it and lose all your saves, or keep it and hope it might not wipe all your saves at some point down the line. Great options I know.

Yeah it really does. There's no fucking excuse for it, it's just a complete shambles on Microsoft's end. When it comes to multiformat releases I'll be going PS3 all the way, just because I know it isn't likely to implode and leave me to start things like Oblivion from scratch.

The other half's 360 started doing this about a week ago. Only, his fault code lights were intermittent.

From the little bit of reading around I did, it seems early 360's all have problems with heat. The thermal interface material between the GPU, processors and heat sinks is of the solid pad variety. Over time - and power cycles - this disintegrates and becomes useless. Heat's not being moved effectively off the chips, so the motherboard starts heating up, warps in the heat, and maybe damages the soldered BGA connections. Instant 360 fuck up.

I reckon they take off the heat sinks. De gunk everything. Check (and if necessary resolder) the connections. Use REAL thermal paste. Screw it all back together. Hey presto - 90% chance of a working 360!

They mention something interesting about a different heatsink retention mechanism, one that stops the board from warping near the processor sockets, it'd be interesting to see what they come up with.

Oh, I'm slightly geeky. :D

If you know all this, why didn't you offer to fix mine? :(

The other half's 360 started doing this about a week ago. Only, his fault code lights were intermittent.

From the little bit of reading around I did, it seems early 360's all have problems with heat. The thermal interface material between the GPU, processors and heat sinks is of the solid pad variety. Over time - and power cycles - this disintegrates and becomes useless. Heat's not being moved effectively off the chips, so the motherboard starts heating up, warps in the heat, and maybe damages the soldered BGA connections. Instant 360 fuck up.

They've added a GPU heatsink to new units it seems. It's not even early units, It still seems to affect newer ones too (probably to a lower degree though)

Question is, say I buy a core from GS/Game and it dies, will they (the shops or MS)cover it?

So he's been gagged then.

It would be interesting to dig out the interview he mentions regarding the production of the original xbox, interviews with Moore, Bach, Allard, etc. before the failure issues came to light, and the various corporate blogs of xbox team employees and note anywhere that they've stated that they "don't talk about" production.

Indeed.

The guys question dodging was pretty dispicable, but the questions weren't half as aggressive as they could have been:

"How many 360s do you think will die over the hot summer months?" :D

Whether MS admit to it or not, the massive failure-rate of the 360 must seriously be fucking their business model and will make people think twice about getting the next MS console at launch...

Well I spoke to Microsoft Support - what a lovely annoying bunch they are.

I tell them the problem is intermittent and that it is only happening occasionally.

Have I tried unplugging the consoles and all cables? Um, yup.

Have I moved it to a flat surface? Indeed.

Have I tried to boot up the machine without the hard-drive plugged in? Yes

Have I played games on the machine without the hard-drive instaleld? Yes, but not for long as I can't save it if it is not in.

Can you ask a neighbour or a friend to loan you their hard-drive and try it with theirs? WTF?! I live in Sydney. No one knows their neighbours.

Can you try all these again this week and call us back. Twats.

I just got off the phone with a lovely young lady from Microsoft support in the Netherlands. There where some problems with my details (last name and telephone number where registered incorrect but they are correct on hotmail and xbox.com accounts :lol:). UPS will pick up the console + power supply (I could keep the harddisk :lol:) at my work address this week and I should have it returned to me withing 15 days.

I just got off the phone with a lovely young lady from Microsoft support in the Netherlands. There where some problems with my details (last name and telephone number where registered incorrect but they are correct on hotmail and xbox.com accounts :lol:). UPS will pick up the console + power supply (I could keep the harddisk :() at my work address this week and I should have it returned to me withing 15 days.

When they had my details mixed up like that I had to wait 7 weeks to get my console back. They had my surname wrong which they corrected and the lady I spoke to arranged for my machine to be picked up once the container arrived. 2 weeks went by and I called MS up to say I hadn't had my console returned, but she told me it had been returned and told me I had signed for it.

I told her this wasn't true and she asked me to confirm my name and address and she then told me that my address was wrong (I live in Luton and my console had been sent to Bradford). She asked me if I was certain I didn't live in Bradford ( :lol: ) and she said there was nothing she could do for me. I was furious and asked to be put through to a supervisor. They couldn't do this but I was told a supervisor would contact me in 2 days.

2 days later and no phone call. I phoned them back and I was put though to a supervisor who told me that my console had been returned to me and I was told I was lying about my address. I offered to fax them a copy of the document the courier signed when my broken console was collected. This form included my address (in Luton!), the serial number of my console and the time & date the courier signed for the machine. This document is my proof that the console was collected, MS told me this document didn't mean anything and they didn't belive my story and there was nothing they could do as my console had apparently been returned.

I made at least 10 phone calls trying to get somewhere so I decided to write to MS HQ giving a detailed account of what happened. The next day after my letter was sent I was called at approx 9am and had my arse kissed my a very apologetic bloke. The next day my replacement console arrived.

Disgusting.

Just to compare, when my PS2 died a courier came to my house the day after my call with a replacement console and took my old one away. That is customer service.

When they had my details mixed up like that I had to wait 7 weeks to get my console back. They had my surname wrong which they corrected and the lady I spoke to arranged for my machine to be picked up once the container arrived. 2 weeks went by and I called MS up to say I hadn't had my console returned, but she told me it had been returned and told me I had signed for it.

I told her this wasn't true and she asked me to confirm my name and address and she then told me that my address was wrong (I live in Luton and my console had been sent to Bradford). She asked me if I was certain I didn't live in Bradford ( :lol: ) and she said there was nothing she could do for me. I was furious and asked to be put through to a supervisor. They couldn't do this but I was told a supervisor would contact me in 2 days.

2 days later and no phone call. I phoned them back and I was put though to a supervisor who told me that my console had been returned to me and I was told I was lying about my address. I offered to fax them a copy of the document the courier signed when my broken console was collected. This form included my address (in Luton!), the serial number of my console and the time & date the courier signed for the machine. This document is my proof that the console was collected, MS told me this document didn't mean anything and they didn't belive my story and there was nothing they could do as my console had apparently been returned.

I made at least 10 phone calls trying to get somewhere so I decided to write to MS HQ giving a detailed account of what happened. The next day after my letter was sent I was called at approx 9am and had my arse kissed my a very apologetic bloke. The next day my replacement console arrived.

Disgusting.

Just to compare, when my PS2 died a courier came to my house the day after my call with a replacement console and took my old one away. That is customer service.

That's absolutely shameful. I'm amazed that MS haven't received a thorough kicking in the media for their piss-poor 'customer service' and in-warranty 'repairs' process.

My premium was repaired having failed after 6 months and was returned to me on Wednesday. By Friday following 2 hours use it was knackered again (RoD). I called and politely requested that they sort it ASAP, and was advised that all they could offer was for me to return it for a further 15 working day 'repair'. I suggested that they ought to just provide a replacement, but according to them, the 'only option possible is a repair'. No, the only option you make available is a repair.

My personal belief is that most machines fail out of warranty, and that most people cough the £85 for repair. If the majority of machines failed within 12 month then the burden of repair costs to MS would most likely outweigh the price of fixing the problem. As it is, it's likely cheaper for MS to carry on than to do anything about it.

The willing evasion of our consumer rights under the Sale of Goods act by retailers doesn't help. Whilst it's clearly in MS's interest to ensure that machines are repaired via them to hide the true failure-rate, it's a policy that is highly desirable to the retailer too because they don't have to deal with any of the crap that goes along with it (I know that some retailers are very good with swaps, but some simply refuse you). I had to make two strong phonecalls to Play.com in order to get them to agree to send me a replacement - they just wanted to fob me off to MS.

Constrast that with the superb service from Sony when people return PS3's for noisy fans, and it's downright scandalous what MS do and I'm frankly shocked that they have the front to do it.

Just shipped mine off for repair with MS. How long does it typically take? They say "up to 15 days", but is that a worst case scenario?

Need to get my Pacman CE on...miss it already.

They say "up to 15 days", but is that a worst case scenario?

Worst case is 7 weeks, see above :lol:

A friend at work had his returned within 4 days not too long ago....

My 360 hasn't died yet, and I haven't had any red lights, but it's definitely on the way out. Forza 2 has been crashing with ever increasing regularity and now it will barely work at all. The MSGS and Turn 10 splash screens don't work (they just display a static hashed screen of random coloured horizontal bars), the intro FMV stutters like a bugger and the 360 locks up whilst loading the tracks. My suspicion is that the drive is knackered but it could really be anything.

I bought it about a year ago for Oblivion and Dead Rising, caned it for a couple of months then barely touched it for six months whilst I was playing PS2, DS and Wii, and the last couple of months it's has another caning with Gears and a few other bargains I picked up on Ebay. So it's had use, but not crazy use. It's always been a little unstable though, I must have played at least 10 retail games and every one has crashed/locked up at least once and usually many more times.

I'll speak to MS and see if I can wangle a freebie repair, but if they insist on charging me 80 odd quid then I might try that 306 repair website instead.

I love the console, I never owned an Xbox and I've been suitably impressed with the 360 despite my reservations before buying it. However the hardware is really unreliable - ignoring all the forum evidence of failure rates, I know 7 or 8 people in the real world who own one and they have all died at least once. The only person I know with a 360 that hasn't died only bought it about a month ago.

This will be my ninth console

That's insane :lol: Maybe it's God's way of saying "get yourself a PS3" ?

No idea why MS let that guy do the interview. If he's not going to answer anything then what was the point? They've just come out looking like even bigger cunts - it would have been better now to bother.

The only thing that's come out of it is basically: they don't give a fuck and won't be changing anything whilst it keeps selling. :lol:

My now knackered launch day console was picked up today. Spent around 2 hours on the phone to both Microsoft and Game when it broke, attempting to get a straight replacement despite being blatantly out of warrenty. A nice Microsoft lady gave me a reference number, and told me to try and use that with Game to get a swap. The lady I talked to at Game however let me know she'd had a few calls along the same lines recently, and called Microsoft herself to find out why this was happening. She then called me back, let me know that Game would under no circumstances swap my console, and prompted me to call Microsoft again.

Long story short, it's cost me that same £85(ish) that everyone else has had to shell out. Amazingly enough, it's my FIRST EVER broken console. So that's one out of roughly 15 consoles in the last 20 years.

My now knackered launch day console was picked up today. Spent around 2 hours on the phone to both Microsoft and Game when it broke, attempting to get a straight replacement despite being blatantly out of warrenty. A nice Microsoft lady gave me a reference number, and told me to try and use that with Game to get a swap. The lady I talked to at Game however let me know she'd had a few calls along the same lines recently, and called Microsoft herself to find out why this was happening. She then called me back, let me know that Game would under no circumstances swap my console, and prompted me to call Microsoft again.

Long story short, it's cost me that same £85(ish) that everyone else has had to shell out. Amazingly enough, it's my FIRST EVER broken console. So that's one out of roughly 15 consoles in the last 20 years.

Does that £85 rip off fee also ensure your replacement is covered for 12 months? Or will you have to shell out another 85 notes if your console goes tits up?

It's fucking outrageous that people have to pay a charge for what clearly is a product with severe reliability issues :wub:

A: I would go back and say the vast majority of people love their experience. We continue to go back and address all of these issues on a case by case basis. There is a vocal minority out there. We go off and try to address their issues as quickly and as pain free as possible.

While we're at it...that's a term I've seen thrown about quite a bit and I resent it. It implies that there is a small body of "troublemakers", who exaggerate the problems with the 360, when the overwhelming majority of people have had no problems with their machine.

The implication is that this "vocal minority" have some hidden agenda against Microsoft.

The increasingly-evident truth however, is that a much greater percentage of machines are failing than MS are prepared to admit, and they should show some respect for our concerns, or they may soon have to deal with a vocal majority.

Does that £85 rip off fee also ensure your replacement is covered for 12 months?

Yes.

Guest slamdunkfunkk

Thanks for the link in the thread!

Can we say to anyone that is thinking of using us for the repair that they check the eBay store listing (link on site)? And if there are any questions, drop us an email.

Website will be updated with the same information in the next couple of days, but we don't want to pi$$ anyone off

Thanks

Adrian

360repair

(yes we check where hits are coming from :wub: )

Well, my Jan '06 console decided to break tonight, but not the ring of death - it's the DVD drive, stick a disk in and there's the most god-awful sound like it's magling the disk to piece. Fourtunately it's not, but refuses to read anything.

Anyone had any experience of this type of error, I'd hazard a guess that something has become mis-alighned or something, but I don't know what/where - is this at all worth me opening up and having a twiddle. Already spoken to MS and accused them of placing a timebomb in the console so it breaks shortly after the warranty period, but they just keep telling me what an amazing deal £85 is as you get another 12 months warranty with it... and another timebomb to go off after 12 months.

I'm pretty pissed off right now, my wife is telling me that we'll get another one one way or another, but I sit here surrounded 12 consoles, none of which have ever ever broken - so why should the 360. Why can't things just work, why is life so unfair etc etc

Off to cry and/or wank to see if that helps

Guest slamdunkfunkk

It's almost certainly the little disc of metal that fits into the drive spindle has come off. Open the 360's DVD drive and look inside the lid. If there's a metal magnetic disc stuck there, pick it off and superglue back into the spindle. You should find pics of it online too. Adrian

Adrian - can you shed some light on what is actually causing the 3 red lights of shitty console building? Is it poor soldering, overheating, dead spiders inside or a combination of them all?

And if MS try to charge me when my 2nd 360 goes tits up (when, not if) then I'll use you instead - they'll get no money from me to repair it.