IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I'm quite entitled to request a replacement console, as they have sold me goods that are inherently faulty. They can, of course refuse, but I'd like to see them try. :(

Isn't "repair or replacement" basically one option in that context though? ie. you can't necessarily say "I want a replacement" if they can make a reasonable case for repairing it instead. Given that they have to cover all the costs for the repair, and make all the arrangements for it, they're unlikely to do so. But nonetheless, I don't think it's entirely in your hands to make the choice of either repair or replacement.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm sure I remember reading something along those lines.

I agree that it's not entirely in my hands, but I can request a replacement, then the retailer must put forward a reasonable explanation as to why that isn't possible, and offer me an alternative (ie repair or refund or bugger off).

I can't think of a good enough reason where a replacement would cause a bigger problem for them than any of the alternatives. It is most certainly a case of negotiation on both parties side, but Tesco are making that difficult for me and, consequently, for them as well if I have to escalate it.

Let me ask you, is it particularly unreasoanble to ask for a replacement of goods that have broken within an unacceptable time frame? I don't believe it is.

Let me ask you, is it particularly unreasoanble to ask for a replacement of goods that have broken within an unacceptable time frame? I don't believe it is.

No, don't get me wrong, I'm with you and your heroic efforts 100%! I was just trying to clarify my understanding of the law, more than anything else.

When my 360 broke, just within the 12 months, Woolworths initially tried to send me back to Microsoft, then tried to get me to send it back to MS but with Woolworths doing the packing/receiving back, and only finally gave me a replacement after lots of quoting of the law, calling various customer service/consumer advice lines and, well... shouting on my part, I'm ashamed to say.

I'm all too familiar with the depressing cycle of "It's our policy to refer you to the manufacturer". "Yes, but the law says I should take it up with you, and the law trumps your policies". "Yes, but it's our policy". "I don't care, it's illegal". "But it's our policy". "I DON'T CARE! I'M GOING TO STAND HERE SHOUTING AND EMBARRASSING US BOTH UNTIL YOU GIVE ME A NEW 360!".

Hope it all gets sorted for you, with minimum hassle from now on.

I'm not having a pop, dude. Apologies if you thought I was.

At the end of the day, I do think it comes down to just how much you are willing to complain and make a nuiscence of yourself. Otherwise you'll just get ignored.

Just got off the phone with the Customer Service manager of Tesco, and made the biatch squirm. :)

First of all, I'm very polite and say I am just calling to make her aware of a development that may impact her decision. Tell her of the news about MS basically saying there is a problem with the 360.

First of all she says my claim is with the manufacteur. I agree in part, but also remind her of the retailers responsibilities under UK law and as a consumer I shouldn't have to deal with the manufactuer. That would be somebody elses job further down the supply chain. Plus, since there is a 25 working day backlog in the UK at present, I would rather not have to wait a further month or more to get a replacement or repair.

Changing her tack, she then asks where these claims were made, trying to rubbish their authenticity. So I replied 'an open letter by Peter Moore, the head of the Xbox division within Microsoft, appeared on the official Xbox website last night, and has been reported on Reuters and BBC news sites. Would you like me to forward you these links?' She didn't say much to that.

Then, in another change, she asked if I could print these out and send it with the proof of purchase she asked for last week, as, and i quote, 'it's a branded product and you could have bought it anywhere'. That surprised me, as I had already sent it to her. She tells me she hasn't recieved it and if I haven't got proof of purchase there is nothing she can do.

It's then that I tell her I sent it special delivery on Tuesday, was delivered on Wednesday and signed for by so and so person. After a few seconds, lo and behold she has found my letter and proof of purchase!

I said I could happily e-mail her all the deatails of the admission of failures from MS if that will speed things up. She begrudgingly gave me her e-mail address (which i had already found out and was going to use anyawy :( ) and said she would deal with it first thing on Monday morning, as she had a meeting this afternoon. Fair enough.

She asked if I wanted a refund. All I've ever asked for is a replacement, and she said that depended upon local availability, but she was considering these options. I think I may be getting somewhere, at last.

Just got off the phone with the Customer Service manager of Tesco, and made the biatch squirm. :(

First of all, I'm very polite and say I am just calling to make her aware of a development that may impact her decision. Tell her of the news about MS basically saying there is a problem with the 360.

First of all she says my claim is with the manufacteur. I agree in part, but also remind her of the retailers responsibilities under UK law and as a consumer I shouldn't have to deal with the manufactuer. That would be somebody elses job further down the supply chain. Plus, since there is a 25 working day backlog in the UK at present, I would rather not have to wait a further month or more to get a replacement or repair.

Changing her tack, she then asks where these claims were made, trying to rubbish their authenticity. So I replied 'an open letter by Peter Moore, the head of the Xbox division within Microsoft, appeared on the official Xbox website last night, and has been reported on Reuters and BBC news sites. Would you like me to forward you these links?' She didn't say much to that.

Then, in another change, she asked if I could print these out and send it with the proof of purchase she asked for last week, as, and i quote, 'it's a branded product and you could have bought it anywhere'. That surprised me, as I had already sent it to her. She tells me she hasn't recieved it and if I haven't got proof of purchase there is nothing she can do.

It's then that I tell her I sent it special delivery on Tuesday, was delivered on Wednesday and signed for by so and so person. After a few seconds, lo and behold she has found my letter and proof of purchase!

I said I could happily e-mail her all the deatails of the admission of failures from MS if that will speed things up. She begrudgingly gave me her e-mail address (which i had already found out and was going to use anyawy :( ) and said she would deal with it first thing on Monday morning, as she had a meeting this afternoon. Fair enough.

She asked if I wanted a refund. All I've ever asked for is a replacement, and she said that depended upon local availability, but she was considering these options. I think I may be getting somewhere, at last.

:)

I hate to use the word PWND but I think that, for once, it's actually justified.

Deeptone, you should write a book about your struggle with 'the man'. I'm about to ring microsoft once more to see if I can get my 360 repaired. Do you think the changed will have taken effect in the UK yet? in the letter, Moore said that it might take a few days to take effect world wide If I recall correctly. I really dont want to sit through another half hour on hold listening to that bloody song again, only to be told that the person on the other end of the phone does'nt know about the changes and wants payment.

[edit] Especially when its all on my mobile, as I dont have a land line.

Crikey, they'll use any excuse to get out of things won't they. You really do have to have all the facts, proof and dates to hand when dealing with these people. If I were you, Deeptone, I'd have got a refund and bought a new one elswhere. You probably could have got a sweet bundle deal as well!

Crikey, they'll use any excuse to get out of things won't they. You really do have to have all the facts, proof and dates to hand when dealing with these people. If I were you, Deeptone, I'd have got a refund and bought a new one elswhere. You probably could have got a sweet bundle deal as well!

You know, I'm torn about what to do. If they give me a replacement, I'll take it (with a proff of purchase, of course). However, if they offer m a refund I'd take that as well, but where would i buy a new console. i could go get a bundle deal somewhere (I refuse to give money to the GAME group, so they're out) or, if I was a proper cunt, buy one again from Tesco, 'cos it would annoy them. Plus I'd get to have fun with them again when it goes tits up.

I think the three year warranty has probably swayed my decision to get a bundle from somewhere though, if a refund is on the cards.

You know, I'm torn about what to do. If they give me a replacement, I'll take it (with a proff of purchase, of course). However, if they offer m a refund I'd take that as well, but where would i buy a new console. i could go get a bundle deal somewhere (I refuse to give money to the GAME group, so they're out) or, if I was a proper cunt, buy one again from Tesco, 'cos it would annoy them. Plus I'd get to have fun with them again when it goes tits up.

I think the three year warranty has probably swayed my decision to get a bundle from somewhere though, if a refund is on the cards.

If they give you a choice why not get the refund, wait till after e3 to see if theres a price cut and then get one at the new lower price leaving you in pocket?

Right, I bought my 360 off a friend about a year ago - which means I don't have any proof of purchase. Got the 3 red lights today. What can I do?

Call 'em up. It can't possibly be over 3 years old given that the product wasn't available 3 years ago. Also, ask your mate if he can dig through his records.

Just ask your mate roughly when he bought it. You don't need any proof of purchase when you ring them up, they'll just ask for the date of the receipt. You could probably lie to be honest, I'm not sure if doing so would come back and bite you at some point though.

I've only just read the latest chapter in Deeptone's adventure. Good work that man!

I think getting a refund off Tesco and spending your money somewhere else is the best way to thank them for the courtesy their customer services people have shown you.

Call 'em up. It can't possibly be over 3 years old given that the product wasn't available 3 years ago. Also, ask your mate if he can dig through his records.

I don't think he'll even need any records. All they asked me for was the serial number of the 360.

I've been told my 360 will be back next week (maybe). That's eight weeks since I sent it to them.

-_-

Mines almost 6 weeks now and they won't even give me a rough date for when it'll be ready. Each time I call they just escalate it to the service centre again and give me another reference number. I'll have more reference numbers than Nintendo have Pokemans soon!

-_-

Mines almost 6 weeks now and they won't even give me a rough date for when it'll be ready. Each time I call they just escalate it to the service centre again and give me another reference number. I'll have more reference numbers than Nintendo have Pokemans soon!

Not sure if I've already said this in this thread but my withdrawal symptoms got so bad I even read a Halo novel. And enjoyed it.

At the very least, we're due compensation. Once you get your machine back you can call up and find out what you're owed. I'm thinking/hoping it might be a free game or something.

I just got off the phone with a lovely young lady from Microsoft support in the Netherlands. There where some problems with my details (last name and telephone number where registered incorrect but they are correct on hotmail and xbox.com accounts -_-). UPS will pick up the console + power supply (I could keep the harddisk :D) at my work address this week and I should have it returned to me withing 15 days.

My 360 got returned to me last monday (the 9th). The mainboard has either been repaired or replaced. The only thing I had to do was run the initial setup again (as all my setting where reset to their defaults) and sync my controllers.

I was hoping to get a newer machine with more silent fans and the silent BenQ DVD drive but I got my own noisy machine back :lol:

I got a free 1 month live card as well.

Not sure if I've already said this in this thread but my withdrawal symptoms got so bad I even read a Halo novel. And enjoyed it.

At the very least, we're due compensation. Once you get your machine back you can call up and find out what you're owed. I'm thinking/hoping it might be a free game or something.

Mine got so bad a couple of weeks ago I went out and bought a new 360! Plan is to trade in the refurb/ repaired one when it finally arrives.

I've had some compo (Viva Pinata) already. When I called up just after the 15 working days had expired the guy I spoke to offered me compensation straight away. I got a call back a couple of days later and was given a choice of PGR3, PDZ, Kameo or Viva Pinata. I asked if I could get an accessory instead (would have like the media remote) but was told that the 4 games were the only items they had in stock.

Am planning on sending them a letter when I finally get my console back and hopefully getting some more free stuff out of them.

Whatever happened to the Deeptone vs Tesco battle?!?

Did you get a refund Deeptone?

I am very close to losing my patience with them. And I'm a very, very patient man.

I was told last Friday that my case would be looked into, and probably resolved first thing on Monday. It's now Thursday and I've still not heard anything.

I'm going to give them until Monday, if I haven't heard from them, no more messing. I'm going straight to court. I've been quite reasonable and given them plenty of time to sort this out. They haven't, so I'm going to stop playing nice.