IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

Exactly - they should be covering ALL faults for three years.

I know when it's 2 years and 350 days since I bought my console, whether it's working or not, I'll be calling MS and telling them I got the three red lights.

Still, good that they've FINALLY admitted they built a great console very shoddily.

Exactly - they should be covering ALL faults for three years.

I know when it's 2 years and 350 days since I bought my console, whether it's working or not, I'll be calling MS and telling them I got the three red lights.

Still, good that they've FINALLY admitted they built a great console very shoddily.

I wonder if you could use the towel trick in reverse? Force it to overheat and get the three red lights, get a new console, job done.

Of course this only works if you get a brand new replacement and a new warranty on it.

Hmm I seem to be problem-free after that dirty disc error after an evening of pretty intensive play of both DiRT and Forza 2.

Let's just hope it's just the drive being so new it needs some time to get in its stride.

Both of these are peculiar to the game i.e. Dirt and Forza both did this on me, it's to do with the machine having problems spinning up the disc after it's been inactive for a long period (e.g. during a race in Dirt there's no disc access, and when you finish a race, it starts up the disc again, and hits problems).

I doubt it's a 3 rings of death type affair.

Iza got a new warranty when she had hers replaced.

There you go then. Perpetual warranty! All you have to do is force it to overheat every now and then (if it doesn't do it itself anyway).

How about they FIX.THE.FUCKING.HARDWARE.

Is it that much to ask? So what if repairs are free now, you're going to be waiting around a month for a replacement and we no refurbs are far more likely to fail.

No one's getting off the merry-go-round with this news, MS are just letting you ride for free.

Anyway, the ball is rolling and I still think there'll be class action suits before Christmas. Nice of them to get the bad-press out of the way before E3 though ay?

/cynic

EDIT: Also, don't expect a price cut anytime soon.

Out of interest, and this will no doubt have been asked before: is it worth picking up the extra fans for the console? If so, which kind in particular?

Much obliged.

My second 360 freezed on average once per hour, I bought a Nyko fan (supposedly the best) and it went to freezing once per month (and usually less). My friend in Florida has had one on his 360 since launch, he is the only person I know on a unbroken launch day machine (take that what ever way you want).

However they are VERY noisy, think small hurricane.

Fuck sakes. You go see Die Hard 4 and it all kicks off on t'net.

Well, I can feel a phonecall to Tesco coming on today. See if I can go pick a new one tomorrow. :(

It may be a bit early, but fuck it, I feel like shouting it.

VINDICATED!

You may find it hard to convince Tesco to replace it... as they'll tell you to go down the MS route.

That said, it gives you more ammunition if you carry on going with Tesco, as you can point to proof of 'inherently faulty hardware' or whatever the terminology is, now that MS have admitting that it's shit hardware.

Yeah, I expect they'll squirm, but it really won't be that difficult to get them to replace it. It's the law, after all.

What they've been clinging to is that it wasn't inherently faulty at purchase. Well, they'll have difficulty proving that now. :(

Yeah, I expect they'll squirm, but it really won't be that difficult to get them to replace it. It's the law, after all.

What they've been clinging to is that it wasn't inherently faulty at purchase. Well, they'll have difficulty proving that now. :(

Wouldn't you now just rather get it fixed, free of charge and keep your original console, with the benefit of being able to play your arcade games offline and sooner?

Especially as Tesco will only be obliged to fix your console anyway, rather than replace it. Unless the 'inherently faulty' admission changes that and entitles you to a refund under your statutory rights.

Wouldn't you now just rather get it fixed, free of charge and keep your original console, with the benefit of being able to play your arcade games offline and sooner?

Umm, how would that be sooner? There's currently something like a 25 working day backlog for repairs. That's another month of no 360 badness. Plus, my console is never offline. I'm kind of hoping that armed with this info they'll relent and organise a nice new 360 at the local store I can pick up.

Especially as Tesco will only be obliged to fix your console anyway, rather than replace it. Unless the 'inherently faulty' admission changes that and entitles you to a refund under your statutory rights.

No,no, no. Sales of goods act states:

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

I'm quite entitled to request a replacement console, as they have sold me goods that are inherently faulty. They can, of course refuse, but I'd like to see them try. :(

Sales of goods act states:

...can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

I'm quite entitled to request a replacement console, as they have sold me goods that are inherently faulty. They can, of course refuse, but I'd like to see them try. :(

Isn't "repair or replacement" basically one option in that context though? ie. you can't necessarily say "I want a replacement" if they can make a reasonable case for repairing it instead. Given that they have to cover all the costs for the repair, and make all the arrangements for it, they're unlikely to do so. But nonetheless, I don't think it's entirely in your hands to make the choice of either repair or replacement.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm sure I remember reading something along those lines.