IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

It's all coming together now. I'm going to test this when I get home tonight. Good thing my console is always online!

Yeah, mine too. It's not been a problem so far, but if my 'net ever goes down, there'll be hell to pay.

Apparently, Oblivion's paid-for content being locked is quite funny when you load a save from an area that doesn't exist any more. :unsure:

Just to add something to this... I spoke to MS about their extra cover options, and extra cover is available at any time for £30 a year (yearly or 2 yearly cover plans).

I can't see any reason why anyone with a dead console (that hasn't already rung into MS) can't extend their cover by a year (for £30) and then get a replacement under warranty.

Might be worth someone giving it a go.

Most useful that. Had been wondering whether to do the extended cover thingy that comes with the console, but at £60 for an extra year (I know it says two on the front, but if you look carefully it seems to read like its the standard one year warranty with an extra year on top!) I wasn't sure if it was worth it. If I can just ring up towards the end of the first year and do a one year thing at £30 I think I'll probably do that instead.

Not happy about all this.

It appears that the only way I can get it done is just pay though the nose.

My only option in my new flat is to connect through wireless, so as I dont have one of the extortianate wireless adapters I wont be able to play my arcade games when they repair it. is there a work around? can I plug the 360 into my laptop and connect though its wireless or anything like that?

No, that's not what he means...I've already answered his question, but he doesn't trust my answer, the cheeky, um, cheeko. :lol:

You did answer, for which I'm grateful, but you said 'They are linked to the machine I believe'

Y'see 'I believe', I can hear doubt in that voice so I went in for the confirmation ^_^

But yeah, basically I tend to take my 360 to friends houses or elsewhere and would like to be able to continue to do that and be able to play all my live arcade games without having to connect it to the internet wherever I go.

My only option in my new flat is to connect through wireless, so as I dont have one of the extortianate wireless adapters I wont be able to play my arcade games when they repair it. is there a work around? can I plug the 360 into my laptop and connect though its wireless or anything like that?

just ring up MS and ask them to credit your account with the points then rebuy.

Most useful that. Had been wondering whether to do the extended cover thingy that comes with the console, but at £60 for an extra year (I know it says two on the front, but if you look carefully it seems to read like its the standard one year warranty with an extra year on top!) I wasn't sure if it was worth it. If I can just ring up towards the end of the first year and do a one year thing at £30 I think I'll probably do that instead.

It specifically mentions (or at least it did on my form) that it's 3 year total cover, i.e an extra 2 years of top of the initial warranty period.

I only mentioned it to them because I was ringing up to get a replacement PSU, and had them on the line. I mentioned that it says it's a limited 10 day offer, and expressed concerns that they might not get it in time, and she didn't know anything about it being limited... just that it's £30 a year at any time. Rev is probably right though, in that you'd probably have to do it while already covered.

Yes, you can plug the 360 into your laptop's wired Ethernet socket, then 'bridge' the wired and wireless connections in Network Connections in Windows. This is assuming your laptop has both an wired and wireless network card I think.

I haven't got a 360, but this 'Deeptone Vs Tesco' soap opera is fascinating. I only come in here for the updates! Good luck mate.

Me too! I've never eaten so much popcorn.

We're all chanting for you Deeptone, Ouendan/Doctor Who style.

Me too! I've never eaten so much popcorn.

We're all chanting for you Deeptone, Ouendan/Doctor Who style.

Ahh shucks. ^_^

I'm glad you're all enjoying my journey to the edge of a nervous breakdown. :lol:

Actually, I sometimes worry that I may be coming accross as a bit 'toys out of the pram', because, well, I am. Still, I'm glad you're all enjoying it. I'll keep you updated. ^_^

Yeah, you got my support too Deeptone. I love it when lone crusaders take on the might of huge corporations.

Still, you'd think that a global company like MS has pretty much a standard for everything, down to customer service level. Why can I get a free replacement and goodies while I'm 6 months out of warranty while you lot have to pay 85 quid for it? Isn't that a bit ... weird? Considering we're both in Europe and have pretty much the same laws, I don't really get this.

Tesco's behaviour doesn't surprise me though, they're just some huge conglomerate which does consoles on the side just because they can make some money out of it. So it's hardly surprising that they don't give a fuck.

Ahh shucks. :D

I'm glad you're all enjoying my journey to the edge of a nervous breakdown. ^_^

Actually, I sometimes worry that I may be coming accross as a bit 'toys out of the pram', because, well, I am. Still, I'm glad you're all enjoying it. I'll keep you updated. ^_^

You've got my support. We've just started going through a similar process when our fridge-freezer brokedown just outside of the manufacturers guarantee (2 years is not a reasonable amount of time for a FF to last) and I'm getting myself all geared up to fight the good fight on the back of your Sales of Goods act proclamations against Tesco!

So, yeah, keep it up! and let us know how you get on :lol:

PS am also in the process of reclaiming bank charges too, am awaiting their response...

I'm absolutely rooting for you Deeptone. I just don't see why Tesco can't replace your console and return yours to MS - job done. Funny how they advertise themselves being on the side of the average hard-up bloke on the street, but won't do something that lets face it, won't cost them a penny and will garner them much in terms of goodwill and good publicity.

Stick it to The Man Deep!

Well, I already got one dirty disc error on my replacement 360, and that's just after 2 hours Colin McRae.

My previous 360 never showed dirty disc errors.

Christ.

[obvious gag] Well, the game is called Dirt. [/obvious gag]

Seriously though, is there any evidence that horizontal or vertical is best?

[obvious gag] Well, the game is called Dirt. [/obvious gag]

Seriously though, is there any evidence that horizontal or vertical is best?

Based on the customers who call us for replacement games, MS claim they shouldn't have it vertical, but then they also claim the 360 doesn't scratch discs unless someone moves it.

Good news!

Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will expand its global Xbox 360 warranty coverage. Any Xbox 360 customer who experiences a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights will now be covered by a three year warranty from date of purchase. All other existing Xbox 360 warranty policies remain in place.

As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures. Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers.

Microsoft stands behind its products and is taking responsibility to repair or replace any Xbox 360 console that experiences the "three flashing red lights" error message within three years from time of purchase free of charge, including shipping costs. Microsoft will take a $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies.

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one. But, this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologize," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division. "We value our community tremendously and look at this as an investment in our customer base. We look forward to great things to come."

For any customer who has previously paid for repair expenses related to the three flashing lights error message on the Xbox 360 console, Microsoft will retroactively reimburse them.

Plus the open letter from my favourite management-type - Peter Moore. :)