rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
j.m.ratkos

The RROD thread

Well, it seems they've sent me a new machine instead of repairing my old one after all. It had all the 'factory seals' on it (protective film on scratchable parts), looks and smells new and the manufacturing date is October 19 last year which makes it a year younger than my launch machine. So either it was properly toasted or because of my complaint they sent a new one just to stop me nagging as they clearly indicated I would get my old machine back and the reason for the delay was the shift to this new policy of no longer sending out replacements.

Anyway, it works fine and even seems a bit less noisy than my previous one. Now I just hope this one will live.

You know, when you consider how unreliable the 360 evidently is and weigh up getting your gaming fix from another source, there really isn't much competition at the moment. Being sans 360 for a few weeks has made me realise what a great console it actually is.

Looking forward to seeing Deeptone's letter...

I am waiting for my machine to be returned after 2 and a a half weeks now.

Quick question to all who returned them to Microsoft via a courier. Did the courier supply a box? The UPS guy who picked mine up said that they never do, but the guy at Microsoft said the courier would supply a box. Its just that that I had to quickly put my machine in a box for the courier so used my original 360 box (making sure it was empty).

Will I get my box back, or will I have to phone Microsoft 5 times (which is how many calls it took for them to give me some free Gamerpoints I got from signing up to Xbox live last year) to get my box back?

I am waiting for my machine to be returned after 2 and a a half weeks now.

Quick question to all who returned them to Microsoft via a courier. Did the courier supply a box? The UPS guy who picked mine up said that they never do, but the guy at Microsoft said the courier would supply a box. Its just that that I had to quickly put my machine in a box for the courier so used my original 360 box (making sure it was empty).

Will I get my box back, or will I have to phone Microsoft 5 times (which is how many calls it took for them to give me some free Gamerpoints I got from signing up to Xbox live last year) to get my box back?

You got some bad info there. They don't supply the box...the customer service bod I dealt with specifically said "don't send it in the original 360 box", so I doubt you'll be seeing yours again, sorry. They do send it back in a great box though, which will be handy for the next time you have to send it for repair. :unsure:

On the phone they specifically told me not to send it in its original box. :S

Don't know why.

I'm sure this has been answered before but seeing as there's no sticky or faq I can see I'll ask again.

Is there any way I can get my console repaired/replaced without breaking the offline live arcade games? If I send it off for MS to repair will I have that problem for sure? I was gonna take mine back to HMV in the box and just try and get away with not putting the hard drive in there.

I'm sure this has been answered before but seeing as there's no sticky or faq I can see I'll ask again.

Is there any way I can get my console repaired/replaced without breaking the offline live arcade games? If I send it off for MS to repair will I have that problem for sure? I was gonna take mine back to HMV in the box and just try and get away with not putting the hard drive in there.

They are linked to the machine I believe, so you need to get your original console back to avoid that problem, not just the hard drive.

Some of this info needs to be stickied in my opinion. Stuff like:

If your 360 fails within its warranty period...

...the best thing to do is take it back to the retailer. If you can keep your saves/downloads on a memory unit, or can bare to lose them, go for the refund, then buy a new console (should you still want one). This will give you a brand new Xbox, and a brand new 12 month warranty. You will also have the option of purchasing an extended warranty, currently £60 for an additional two years.

Failing that, you could choose to have the console replaced by the retailer (who will often allow you to keep your original hard drive), which will give you a brand new console. Different retailers have said different things about additional warranty, at GAME I was told you did not get any additional warranty on replacements, but others at HMV have been told they get a fresh 12 months. It's worth pointing out to the retailer that you could ask for a refund and get those 12 months anyway.

Alternatively, you could have the console sent off to Microsoft. If you send it off to Prague, you may get your original console back, but your warranty is extended by 90 days. Waiting times vary from several days to several weeks. It doesn't seem hard to get compensation in the form of Microsoft games, accessories, or Live time if you have reasonable reason to complain about the service. When sending your console off to Microsoft, postage is paid for by them, but you will have to provide a suitable box. You will not get this box back, so don't use anything you might want to keep. Do not send any accessories (this includes the hard disk) or discs with your console, as you will not get them back.

Although the extended warranty application form inside the 360's packaging claims you need to apply within 10 days of purchase, customer service reps have been quoted as saying that additional cover can be purchased at any point during a valid warranty, at £30 per year.

If your 360 fails outside its warranty period...

...then your options are limited. Microsoft's recommendation is to send the console back to them like above, but the service charge is £85 in these cases. You may still receive your original console back, rather than a new one. Warranty on repairs outside of warranty is 12 months. You should also receive 1 month of Xbox Live Gold Subscription, but this may only be for those who are already subscribers.

You could buy a brand new core system, with an RRP of £199. 12 month warranty and warranty extension availability apply.

Or, you could join the ranks of dissatisfied customers, and "pull a Deeptone". The Sale of Goods Act is there to protect consumers against shoddy products, but claiming it has been breached and you are due compensation is an arduous process, as is well documented in this thread. Watch this space for further updates.

EDIT: Updated the out-of-warranty warranty value.

Cheers revlob, thats great and does indeed need stickying.

To add, is the only way to keep playing your live games offline to keep your original console?

And when you send off your console for repairs you don't send the hard drive do you?

Good info, but the info I have from Microsoft tells me that if you pay for a repair out of warranty then you get a 12 month warranty

Dear Mr.Andrews

Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support.

In-warranty servicing of your console is provided free of charge, including insured courier shipping to and from our Service Centre. Please refer to the Warranty Manual for more details of our Manufacturer’s Warranty, here : http://www.xbox.com/support/xbox360/manuals.htm

An Out of Warranty Repair is chargeable. This charge includes shipping, the repair/replacement, 1 month Xbox Live Gold Subscription and a further 12 months Warranty.

If you have further questions please contact the Xbox Support team on the numbers listed below.

Best regards,

Xbox customer support

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/

Assistance by phone:

0800 587 1102

Or +44 20 7365 9792 from a mobile phone

Hearing Impaired (TTY device):

0800 587 1103

Hours of operation:

Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00

Saturday: 09:00-20:00

Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Cheers revlob, thats great and does indeed need stickying.

To add, is the only way to keep playing your live games offline to keep your original console?

Do you mean, if you pay for and download a Live Arcade game such as Geometry Wars, do you have to pay for it again if your original console is replaced? If that's what you mean, then the answer is no. I put my old hard drive on a new console, and apart from having to update the firmware, everything was as normal and I didn't have to re-download or repurchase anything. I expect even if the hard disk is replaced, then once you supply your original Live account details, you can download the content again for free, but I haven't tested that. If anyone can confrim, I can edit it into the post.

And when you send off your console for repairs you don't send the hard drive do you?

Well the customer service rep says not to send any accessories with it, so I expect that includes the hard disk, as it is a separate product.

Good info, but the info I have from Microsoft tells me that if you pay for a repair out of warranty then you get a 12 month warranty

Ah, thanks for that. Have updated my post.

The bloody cheek of it. They actually expected me to do some work first thing this morning. :D

Anyway, 'pulling a Deeptone'! Have I become a verb? :D

So, I have calmed down since last night but I'm still a little incredulous about what I recieved. Now, it wasn't from Tesco, or Microsoft, but from the Entertainment Retailers Association. A little bit of backstory for those not familier with my case.

Basically, Tesco have denied any involvement in replacing my 360. This is wrong. They also ignored all my letters to them. I ended up writing to the ERA to ask if they have an abritration system (rather than go to court) and a code of practice for retailers to follow when dealing with complaints.

I recieved this back.

post-5376-1183628064_thumb.jpg

(Edited out my address)

I really can not believe that a trade association can actually state that 'standard retail practice is...to refer a customer to a manufacturer'. It might be standard practice, but it's not bloody legal! I really worry about the state of retail in this country at the moment, and I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what to do now.

Obviously I'm still waiting back to hear from Tesco, but I really want to push this whole 'consumer rights' thing. I'm on a crusade now. :unsure: I'll bide my time a bit and think about who I can send this letter to.

Just to add something to this... I spoke to MS about their extra cover options, and extra cover is available at any time for £30 a year (yearly or 2 yearly cover plans).

I can't see any reason why anyone with a dead console (that hasn't already rung into MS) can't extend their cover by a year (for £30) and then get a replacement under warranty.

Might be worth someone giving it a go.

Do you mean, if you pay for and download a Live Arcade game such as Geometry Wars, do you have to pay for it again?...

No, that's not what he means...I've already answered his question, but he doesn't trust my answer, the cheeky, um, cheeko. :unsure:

in answer to revlob, it means that unless your new machine with your old harddrive is connected to Live you wont be able to play any of your live arcade games. You need to get the points given back to re-purchase them if you want to play them when not connected to the net. So I imagine if they replace the 360 and the HD. You'd need the points credited to repurchase when you reactivate your gamertag.

Deeptone, that letter is shocking. They have the cheek to hope you find everything to your satisfaction after they told you they were unable to comment on the case, or whether Tesco's acted correctly... but did say that Tesco's are normally fab.

Fantastic.

It must be all your fault then.

Failing that, you could choose to have the console replaced by the retailer (who will often allow you to keep your original hard drive), which will give you a brand new console but no additional warranty.

I replaced mine at HMV and got a new 12-month warranty. It's a bit farcical to disallow that, given that it's the difference between them giving you the console and giving you some money which you immediately give back to them for the console. :unsure:

Either that or get Microsoft to refund you some points, then download the same content under a new profile.

The bloody cheek of it. They actually expected me to do some work first thing this morning. :D

Anyway, 'pulling a Deeptone'! Have I become a verb? :unsure:

So, I have calmed down since last night but I'm still a little incredulous about what I recieved. Now, it wasn't from Tesco, or Microsoft, but from the Entertainment Retailers Association. A little bit of backstory for those not familier with my case.

Basically, Tesco have denied any involvement in replacing my 360. This is wrong. They also ignored all my letters to them. I ended up writing to the ERA to ask if they have an abritration system (rather than go to court) and a code of practice for retailers to follow when dealing with complaints.

I recieved this back.

(Edited out my address)

I really can not believe that a trade association can actually state that 'standard retail practice is...to refer a customer to a manufacturer'. It might be standard practice, but it's not bloody legal! I really worry about the state of retail in this country at the moment, and I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what to do now.

Obviously I'm still waiting back to hear from Tesco, but I really want to push this whole 'consumer rights' thing. I'm on a crusade now. :D I'll bide my time a bit and think about who I can send this letter to.

That sucks, Deeptone. Sorry for verbing you, but you're the best example we have at the moment of a consumer champion.

Just to add something to this... I spoke to MS about their extra cover options, and extra cover is available at any time for £30 a year (yearly or 2 yearly cover plans).

I can't see any reason why anyone with a dead console (that hasn't already rung into MS) can't extend their cover by a year (for £30) and then get a replacement under warranty.

Might be worth someone giving it a go.

I'd be surprised if they let you purchase additional warranty on a console whose warranty has already expired. I should imagine they mean it can be purchased at any point along the 12 months of original warranty, instead of just the first 10 days the application form makes out. I've edited my post to note that, but if anyone can buy warranty on a console with an already lapsed warranty, I'd be very interested to hear it.

in answer to revlob, it means that unless your new machine with your old harddrive is connected to Live you wont be able to play any of your live arcade games. You need to get the points given back to re-purchase them if you want to play them when not connected to the net. So I imagine if they replace the 360 and the HD. You'd need the points credited to repurchase when you reactivate your gamertag.

I'm not sure I understand this whole offline business. Apart from a couple of weeks during which my network switch died, my 360 has always been online. Can you not play Arcade games while offline?

I replaced mine at HMV and got a new 12-month warranty. It's a bit farcical to disallow that, given that it's the difference between them giving you the console and giving you some money which you immediately give back to them for the console. :D

It's a very good point, and one I should have pressed with Game when I got mine replaced. I've added that to my post.

That sucks, Deeptone. Sorry for verbing you, but you're the best example we have at the moment of a consumer champion.

Nah, don't worry. I quite like it :unsure:

When I do break Tesco, I will sure as hell be getting a reciept of some kind so if (when) it fails again, I can point to this new date and not go through all this again. People should demand that from their retailer really, if it's not already done.

Nah, don't worry. I quite like it :unsure:

When I do break Tesco, I will sure as hell be getting a reciept of some kind so if (when) it fails again, I can point to this new date and not go through all this again. People should demand that from their retailer really, if it's not already done.

That's exactly what I tried to do when I took mine back to Game. I asked for some proof that it had been replaced, but the manager specifically said that my warranty would not be extended beyond the original 12 months. Of course in retrospect I should have pressed it further and mentioned had I chosen to get a refund I could repurchase and get the 12 months anyway, but I didn't think of that at the time. Which is why I think it might be useful to others if some of the points made in this thread are highlighted.

At the moment I think I might just give MS a call and drop £30 on an extended warranty to avoid further hassle, but I'm lazy like that.

I'm not sure I understand this whole offline business. Apart from a couple of weeks during which my network switch died, my 360 has always been online. Can you not play Arcade games while offline?

Demo modes only. Basically, it's a way to stop you putting content on another person's Xbox if they haven't paid for it. You have to be online for Microsoft to give you permission to use the content.

Demo modes only. Basically, it's a way to stop you putting content on another person's Xbox if they haven't paid for it. You have to be online for Microsoft to give you permission to use the content.

Unless you are playing them on the machine they were downloaded on, just to make it clear.

Ah, of course. That makes sense.

So, your Live account is tied to the hard disk then. I can chose to redownload titles I've already purchased for free, but once my account leaves my hard disk I have to buy them again.

Anyway, 'pulling a Deeptone'! Have I become a verb? :D

I recieved this back.

(Edited out my address)

Obviously I'm still waiting back to hear from Tesco, but I really want to push this whole 'consumer rights' thing. I'm on a crusade now. :unsure: I'll bide my time a bit and think about who I can send this letter to.

Send details of your adventures to Watchdog. This is the sort of personal story they're bound to put on TV- and bitch-slap Microsoft, Tesco and the ERA with.

Unless you are playing them on the machine they were downloaded on, just to make it clear.

So say I have Geometry Wars, puchased using Live Account A, hard disk A, on console A. I can play my Arcade games online or offline.

Console A dies, so I get console B but attach it to drive A. What you're saying is, I can no longer play my Arcade games offline?

Ah, of course. That makes sense.

So, your Live account is tied to the hard disk then. I can chose to redownload titles I've already purchased for free, but once my account leaves my hard disk I have to buy them again.

No, you can move your profile/account freely to another hard drive or memory card.

I haven't got a 360, but this 'Deeptone Vs Tesco' soap opera is fascinating. I only come in here for the updates! Good luck mate.

So say I have Geometry Wars, puchased using Live Account A, hard disk A, on console A. I can play my Arcade games online or offline.

Console A dies, so I get console B but attach it to drive A. What you're saying is, I can no longer play my Arcade games offline?

Bingo.

But any new content you buy on console B will work offline.