IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I complained to MS support today about my scratched disk. They kind of implied I was lying about not moving my console - "XBox360 does not scratch disks" sort of thing. Now they want to send it for repair (25 days) and pointed me in the direction of the MS disk replacement scheme - 10 quid thank you very much.

I wish I had bought a PS3.

No, really!

I got exactly the same thing. They even went so far as to say that it was Microsoft policy not to replace any discs even if they did find that it was the machine's fault.

I got exactly the same thing. They even went so far as to say that it was Microsoft policy not to replace any discs even if they did find that it was the machine's fault.

How did it work out for you in the end?

Hi Everyone

I am back, the 360 I managed to get ASDA to replace mine with is now giving me dirty disc errors, mainly in forza 2, but also in Dirt, I still have my asda receipt but obviously do not want to go back to the York branch, I cannot quite believe that it has gone this quickly, its insane, sure enough its nothing to do with the 3 red lights problem, but that to me is even more unsettling, two totally seperate issues and this one so quickly.

will keep you posted as the console is just over a month old since my last replacement so asda may try asking me to send it back to MS and I now have to get a friendly counter staff person to let me swap my HDD :(

Deeptone, I cannot quite believe how obnoxious tesco are being about all of this.

Hi Everyone

I am back, the 360 I managed to get ASDA to replace mine with is now giving me dirty disc errors, mainly in forza 2, but also in Dirt, I still have my asda receipt but obviously do not want to go back to the York branch, I cannot quite believe that it has gone this quickly, its insane, sure enough its nothing to do with the 3 red lights problem, but that to me is even more unsettling, two totally seperate issues and this one so quickly.

will keep you posted as the console is just over a month old since my last replacement so asda may try asking me to send it back to MS and I now have to get a friendly counter staff person to let me swap my HDD :(

Deeptone, I cannot quite believe how obnoxious tesco are being about all of this.

Ooohhh, bad luck. Not very good, is it? Still, at least you get some joy from ASDA.

I have a suspicion (from little things that have been mentioned so far) that Tesco know only too well what the position is with the 360. Better than we do. If it means giving in to me, it will in all likelihood mean opening the floodgates. Because, yes, I would make sure lots of people knew about it.

Not that I think I'm the first one that has had to deal with Tesco, but because they make it so difficult most people will just give up. I won't though.

Well, I was convinced it must have been the laser which was causing me the problems, so I got a new one and installed it this morning - which was no easy task for me - but it's still shagged :(

Fired off a few more angry notes this morning for Argos/MS to see what happens.

Weirdly I'd feel better about buying a whole new console that paying the £85 for the repair at this point. I have no idea why that is

Weirdly I'd feel better about buying a whole new console that paying the £85 for the repair at this point. I have no idea why that is

So true. I can just see us loyal early-adopters getting into an endless cycle of angry phone calls, recorded-delivery letters and continuously failing refurbished machines.

Which is why I can heartily recommend the 'buy a new machine, insert broken machine into new box, return and get refund' technique. I just got my refund from Argos, and now have a brand new 360.

Sure, it's a tad dishonest, but at least this way my broken unit will probably end up back with MS where it belongs.

So true. I can just see us loyal early-adopters getting into an endless cycle of angry phone calls, recorded-delivery letters and continuously failing refurbished machines.

Which is why I can heartily recommend the 'buy a new machine, insert broken machine into new box, return and get refund' technique. I just got my refund from Argos, and now have a brand new 360.

Sure, it's a tad dishonest, but at least this way my broken unit will probably end up back with MS where it belongs.

A tad dishonest?! :) It's not only a lot more than a tad dishonest, it's probably highly illegal, and I'm sure there will be a way of them finding out that the serial number doesn't tally with what it should somewhere along the returns process and that they may come back to you.

Not that I'm strongly against the idea by any means. :o

A tad dishonest?! :) It's not only a lot more than a tad dishonest, it's probably highly illegal, and I'm sure there will be a way of them finding out that the serial number doesn't tally with what it should somewhere along the returns process and that they may come back to you.

Not that I'm strongly against the idea by any means. :o

Meh, I'd say that MS refusal to accept responsibility is far, far more reprehensible. I'm certainly not going to sit back and get shafted for this if I can possibly help it.

So what happens when a product gets returned as faulty? Do retailers send them back to the supplier and get refunded? I'd like to think MS will take the hit.

Well, my machine has been returned. Minutes before the wife called it had been delivered, I got a phonecall from Microsoft's customer service to handle the complaint I sent to the Big Boss (so it did reach his desk I suppose). I get my Xbox Live time compensated, and because of the long wait I could pick a Microsoft published game or an accessory, so I went with a wireless headset.

Anyway, it took 4 weeks but at least I got compensation and apologies from the company so I'm quite happy. Hopefully my new/repaired Xbox will last for a couple of years.

Another interesting thing is that it got picked up, repaired and delivered without any charge, even though the machine has been out of warranty for over 6 months, and I didn't even have to ask for it.

because of the long wait I could pick a Microsoft published game or an accessory, so I went with a wireless headset.

How apt...that thing's even more broken than the 360 itself. You will soon see :o

Glad you got it back though.

Gamestation today replaced both my game-scratching 360 and my scratched game.

Result!

And they were jolly decent about it too!

Can anyone confirm if retailers get refunded by MS for replaced consoles? I realise mine was only 3 months old, but those of you with launch/older machines would I'm sure prefer this option to the the MS repair/botch job. Shiny new machine + pain in the wallet for MS = happy gamers. What's the situation on replacing older consoles?

Can anyone confirm if retailers get refunded by MS for replaced consoles? I realise mine was only 3 months old, but those of you with launch/older machines would I'm sure prefer this option to the the MS repair/botch job. Shiny new machine + pain in the wallet for MS = happy gamers. What's the situation on replacing older consoles?

I think its covered by MS. Broke machines go back, the store gets it credited. I can find out for you, not until the weekend though.

That crosses the line for me, so I'll continue my whiney/whinging/complaining tactic and see where that gets me

It is a shame that the 360 breaks anyway but it seems that if you're enough of an idiot, the PS3 will break also;

PS3 owning fool

it was similar to my favourite ever letter into Super Play, where someone had broken their SNES by forcing a cartridge in the wrong way and if you all remember, the slot was curved like the edge of the carts, so you'd have really had to push to get it in the wrong way...

some people...

Sent mine off for repair a week ago. I bought it from Sendit.com so it's not a case of just taking it back.

Will online retailers not replace consoles in the same way high street shops do? Send it to them and they send a new one? Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but I would have thought the same rules applied to them as to high street stores.

Will online retailers not replace consoles in the same way high street shops do? Send it to them and they send a new one? Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but I would have thought the same rules applied to them as to high street stores.

Nah it's exactly the same rules, but I'm a complete defeatist and having never ever had any success trying to argue my way with customer service types, ever, I think I'll just get it repaired by MS for now. I might only have 90 days of warranty left with Microsoft, but as far as Sendit know, I've still got another 6 months.

Un-fucking-believe-fucking-able.

You will not believe what has just happened. It has got me into full Just and Fury mode.

When I get to work tomorrow I shall scan in the letter I recieved today and post it here. As well as fire it off to Watchdog, Which?, Trading Standards, etc.

It's a good one. Trust me. :lol:

Summarise please to gloat in advance?

It's a bit strange though how different Microsoft operates in various countries. When my Xbox broke down I was helped very quickly and in a polite manner. When I called later to request the status I was also helped very quickly and in a polite manner. Then when it was a week late, my complaint got handled very quickly and in a polite manner and I got compensation and an apology for the wait. And all this free of charge outside the warranty period without even asking for it.

All in all I must say I'm quite impressed with Microsoft Customer Service in this regard, especially after some of the horror-stories here.

Gutted.

Just put on Guitar Hero 2, fancied a go after watching the Rock Band video. One minute into Mother and the console crashes. Switch power back on...you guessed it. Three red lights of DOOM. Console has never shown signs of being iffy. Just dropped dead for me now. Thankfully, it's just inside the 12 month period, by like 2 weeks.

i've been on hold for about 20 minutes now....boo

[EDIT]

It was 28 minutes before I gave up the will to live and hung up. And that same song loops over and over! Before I made the song I quite liked that song too. That call killed something inside me.

boo.

Well, it seems they've sent me a new machine instead of repairing my old one after all. It had all the 'factory seals' on it (protective film on scratchable parts), looks and smells new and the manufacturing date is October 19 last year which makes it a year younger than my launch machine. So either it was properly toasted or because of my complaint they sent a new one just to stop me nagging as they clearly indicated I would get my old machine back and the reason for the delay was the shift to this new policy of no longer sending out replacements.

Anyway, it works fine and even seems a bit less noisy than my previous one. Now I just hope this one will live.