IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

Could be. It worked for a bit though. It was only when I tried to play Fallout: New Vegas using my old save that it went wrong. The game kept crashing, so I deleted it, and all the saves, out of paranoia. Then later I played it from the disk, starting a new character from scratch. Crashed after about 5 minutes. Played Halo for an hour or so. Worked fine. Installed it to the HDD. Worked fine. Tried to re-install Fallout - screen went all funny and it froze at 40% install. Turned it off and left it. Tried it a few hours later - won't boot up, constant red light.

I don't see why any of this should happen though, and whilst I've only recently been bitten by this long-standing issue, it has made me feel that Microsoft can get bent, basically. Put it this way, at the moment I'd rather have the cash than the console.

I would still take it back and get another system. if you've had issues within the first week, then something is obviously wrong with that system.

edit:

now's the time to do what I said before, buy the arcade and get the hdd separately. no more fingerprint worries. in addition to the matte finish, there's no gaudy looking chrome on the arcade box. pure black sex :)

Perhaps I'm too casual about my gaming, but as far as I'm concerned a day wasted and two trips to the shops is in excess of what I want to spend getting to play a game these days. I don't want to drive to Gamestation tomorrow, go through all the rigmarole of getting a replacement, only to have that screw up as well. That's whether it's in 6 hours or 6 months.

I've got a PS3 and a Wii, so it's not like I even need a 360. All I wanted to do was carry on with my Fallout: Las Vegas game, but those saves are gone now.

Tempted to get a 3DS mind...

To be honest the novelty of HD wore off for me about a week after getting my HDTV. I'll stick with the version with the best controls on a console that doesn't die when you look at it.

N64? :omg:

Aaaand I'm now Microsoft free. Feels good man.

I might pick another one up in a couple of years when they're cheap. I've got a borrowed copy of Vanquish on the PS3 to play now, so that'll make me forget how much I was enjoying Fallout and Halo Reach won't it? :unsure:

This also means I've got a Wireless network adaptor and controller to get shot of (plus the original dead Xbox I suppose). Do the wireless adaptors have much re-sale value? I seem to remember it costing me an arm and a leg.

• 1 month later...

Right, my slim is being an arse. It'll connect to Xbox live to see friends but when I try to access any of the store stuff it just DCs. I've tried other gamer tags and it does the same. It works fine when it's wired in, so I'm thinking the wireless card is shagged inside. Also, it locks up randomly on different games so all in all the thing isn't playing nicely.

Getting it replaced won't be a problem, the problem I have is all my shit is on the HDD and I can't be bothered with faffing about transferring, backing up and all that bollocks so my question is this: if I take my 250gb drive out of my current console and put it in a new one will it pick up all my content or will it ask to format it?

So my June 2006 vintage 360 gave me the three red lights today. This was a bit weird because I hadn't even turned it on for 3 months... Anyway, I did the towel trick and it worked. Question is, how long can I expect it to last before it fucks up again and how many more times will the towel trick work before it dies completely?

Just tried to update my dash but I keep getting this Status Code: 3151-335A-1380-2203-C000-0001. Xbox.com says the console needs repair, but a quick google tells me that I could've been banned for having a modded console. I've certainly never modded it and I got it directly from a Gamestop store so I'd be amazed if it was modded. Anyone got any advice?

So I'm getting one red light which I believe means there's some unspecified hardware fault. Boots to a white screen and no further. Unplugged all the cables and plugged them back in and tried booting without the hard drive and wireless adapter. No error messages as yet.

It's 4 years old and has red ringed and be fixed already.

I need a new 360 slim yeah?

• 6 months later...

My HDMI fat 360 RRODed a couple of weeks ago - what are my options?

Is it ultra-cheap to fix, or is buying a slim going to be easier?

I have a feeling that I'm not going to be arsed doing anything at all...

if you've got access to the opening tool, a new set of screws and some spacers (to remove those god-awful 'X'-shaped clamps) and some heat sink component, then you could fix it yourself in about an hour (with most of that time spent allowing the mainboard to cool back down)

using the various tutorials found on the internet, you should be able to get your system back up and running (well enough) to then trade it in towards the purchase of a slim.

for the most part, the steps include the following:

- cracking open the case (with the tool) and removing about 20 screws will allow you to remove the mainboard.

- using a slotted screw driver to remove the "X"-clamps so that you can remove the heatsinks from the top side and clean off all of the old heat sink component. then, spreading a nice, even thin coat of new component on them (arctic silver works great!).

- re-assembling the system and then either:

baking it using the "towel" method to re-flow the BGA (ball grid array) solder balls underneath both the CPU and GPU chips

or

tossing the "X"-clamps in the bin, and using new screws and spacers (kits with the correct size screws and spacer washers are readily available for less than $10) to clamp the heat sinks down into place, re-assembling everything (including the fan, hdd and dvd drive), but not locking the fan assembly back in place, and instead directing it on the heatsink over the GPU only (the right larger chip when viewing the system from the front). plug in a video cable and let the system run for about 15-20mins to heat up enough to re-flow the BGA underneath the CPU.

- letting the system cool down for about 20-30 mins, reassembling the shell halves and then powering it up normally

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...