IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I have a quick question - my xbox came back from repair, it all seems fine - but I've just realised that I'm having to reinstall to the hard drive any games I'd installed?

It's telling me it's because they can only be played on the hard drive and console they were ripped on. So, does that mean this isn't the same unit I sent off?

I have found a fella who will do an X-clamp repair on mine for £30?

worth a shot?

Find out exactly what he does to it, if he is just removing the xclamps and 'baking' it then no.

Lots of cowboys buying 'fixes' off ebay and claiming it's repaired.

I have a quick question - my xbox came back from repair, it all seems fine - but I've just realised that I'm having to reinstall to the hard drive any games I'd installed?

It's telling me it's because they can only be played on the hard drive and console they were ripped on. So, does that mean this isn't the same unit I sent off?

Got mine back on Friday. It didn't complain about the installed games, but didn't use them either - everything was playing from the discs. Deleting and reinstalling "fixes" it for me. Guess it must be a "new" machine inside the old box then.

Argos are selling the new arcade (with 512MB onboard flash memory), Forza3, Pure, Lego Batman and extra controller for £150 (plus you then get a £10 gift card)

It should say in the letter you got back what they did. When mine recently went off, i got a newer unit back from them which it told me in the letter.

My letter just said "serviced your xbox ... per the terms of the xbox warranty" and it's the same case (same scratches on the back), but I'm having to re-install all my games or else they play from the discs, so I assume it's "new" innards.

I'm quite happy though - 10 day turn-around seems quite good to me :-)

No dice with Gamestation.

Hello

Thank you for your email.

While it is correct that you have a contract with Gamestation, it is our view that Microsoft's extension of the warranty on the X Box 360 to three years for this particular problem is indicative of a reasonable length of time for a console to remain fully functional. As this period has expired, Gamestation will not be held liable for your console's failure after a period of over 3 years.

I appreciate that this is not what you wanted to hear, but Gamestation is unable to supply a replacement for every console purchased from us regardless of its age.

Regards,

Gamestation

Which is rubbish, obviously. Reply back with some quotes from Consumer Direct?

Got mine back today (total turnaround time 8 days). Was chuffed to see they'd sent me a new machine ... manufacturing date on the back says June 2009. However, the voltage sticker says 16.4A, and there's no HDMI (there wasn't on the one I sent in either, to be fair), so I presume - despite the "manufacturing" date, it's just a refurbed xenon?

Oh well. At least I have a nice cardboard box to put it in next time it croaks...

The reasonable life of a product is dictated by the Sale of Goods act, not the length of the manufacturers warranty.

In this case the reasonable life given in the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is six years. As the console was purchased in April 2006 I am well within my rights to claim a replacement from you as per our contract.

That's all factually correct, right? I did try to get a quote from the Sale of Goods Act about the six years but couldn't find one after doign a quick search.

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

source: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/...tsixorfiveyears

No dice with Gamestation.

Which is rubbish, obviously. Reply back with some quotes from Consumer Direct?

I think it's definitely best to go back to Consumer Direct first and see what they say on it. I don't think that's a reasonable excuse, isn't the PS3 warranty 1 year, so we should expect to buy a new one every year? Also it's not just to do with reasonable life, I argued that the product was inherently faulty at the time of sale, shown by the extension to the warranty. The thing to remember is that the retailer will likely do everything they can to put you off, they may know you're right but it's worth saying no first time as I bet it puts lots of people off. GAME where the same with me, you need to be persistent.

I would also send a letter to Microsoft. One of their leading retailers in the UK says MS thinks 3 years is a reasonable time for an Xbox 360 to remain working, is that really their standpoint? Could be worth doing it as an email and sending it to a few gaming sites/publications as well, might force them to reply.

Annoyingly to get any sort of decent resolution you do just have to keep pushing.

I'm having issues with my Xbox, though it hasn't actually died(yet anyway!). Last night I managed to drop my old iMac keyboard on top of it. It was horizontal. It was turned on and seemed ok, so played MW2 for a little while. 

So, I go to turn it off, using the controller. It shuts down, but the ring of light stays on, as if it's still on. I turn off at the mains. When turning back on, no lights at all, but still appears to be working. I also noticed the controller isn't switching off when powering down. I unplugged from the mains and went to bed.

This morning when I plug it in at the mains, it turns itself on. Lights are on and everything. Seems to work fine. When I turn it off it turns straight back on! 

Any ideas to what is up and what to do to fix it? 

My girlfriends brother had an Xbox which died and was sent a refurbished one in March last year. He has just called me to say this one now wont play any disks, reporting an 'Open Tray Error'. I logged on and and says its out of warranty now, and they want £80 to repair the console, with the debit taken upfront. Im not pleased about this. Personally, I am now on my 6th XBox 360, he is on his second and I would feel pretty upset were he to have no option but to pay £80 for the repair. Is there anything else that he can do?

I'm having issues with my Xbox, though it hasn't actually died(yet anyway!). Last night I managed to drop my old iMac keyboard on top of it. It was horizontal. It was turned on and seemed ok, so played MW2 for a little while. 

So, I go to turn it off, using the controller. It shuts down, but the ring of light stays on, as if it's still on. I turn off at the mains. When turning back on, no lights at all, but still appears to be working. I also noticed the controller isn't switching off when powering down. I unplugged from the mains and went to bed.

This morning when I plug it in at the mains, it turns itself on. Lights are on and everything. Seems to work fine. When I turn it off it turns straight back on! 

Any ideas to what is up and what to do to fix it? 

After a bit of research I have come to the conclusion that my RF board is the problem. I wonder if it has come loose or just knackered? Anyone had a similar problem?