IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I took mine back to GAME yesterday. As mentioned by others earlier in the thread, it was dead easy and I was allowed to keep my hard drive. They swapped just the console over "to make sure all the bits were there" :ph34r: I asked them if I would get any additional warranty, but they said no. I decided to go ahead anyway, as I'd only get an additional 90 days with had I sent it to MS and waited god knows how long to get it back.

I highly recommend anyone who has an Xbox fail on them in-warranty to take it back to the shop rather than send it back to MS. Not only will you get a brand new box on the spot, but MS is much more likely to bow to pressure from retailers who complain that their customers are returning piles of the things, than the consumers themselves.

Right. Started to get an occasional problem. It first surfaced a while after I got my 360. Noticed it once while playing gears of war.

Basically the graphics start to fook up - noticed at first on the Dashboard, things go kinda speckly/then everything is tinged blue. It's like everything has outlines. Can be sorted out with a reset, then it's all fine?

Most confusing it has to be said...

What is this, anyone else had it?

Right. Started to get an occasional problem. It first surfaced a while after I got my 360. Noticed it once while playing gears of war.

Basically the graphics start to fook up - noticed at first on the Dashboard, things go kinda speckly/then everything is tinged blue. It's like everything has outlines. Can be sorted out with a reset, then it's all fine?

Yes, I had exactly the same problem and got it replaced by Microsoft.

ive had this twice and both times it was the beginning of the end.

EDIT: I just reread your post, by chance are you using 1080i over component? specifically the one that came with your 360? If so try changing down to 720p.

its your GPU, next you'll get the chessboard of doom, then it will always be green checks. (you may also get HDR and Bloom sticking to the screen, try SC DA if you have it.)

Take it back to the shop you bought it from and demand a full refund.

Revlob, I pitty you when your warranty runs out and you current ex-box 360 dies. I got a full refund twice from Game, and then rebought for an additional 12 month warranty.

(can we start calling the 360 the ex-box 360 please?)

ive had this twice and both times it was the beginning of the end.

Jesus. I first got this in November - must have been cos it was Gear of War time. I bought my Xbox in September. Great!

So I should get it replaced before it DOES pop. And as far as "replacing" goes, do I need to send them my hard drive. I don't want them to erase stuff!

How can I back up save games?

Have Edge or GamesTM done a feature on this yet? You'd think this is big news in the world of gaming, and with repair times being increased to 25 days this shows there must have been a significant rise in the number of consoles breaking down.

WE NEED ANSWERS!!!! DO your bloody jobs, journalists.

WE NEED ANSWERS!!!! DO your bloody jobs, journalists.

They'll be too busy selling out for hunting down the next big exclusive review.

My 360 is gone for 4 weeks today. So that's 20 working days gone. I'm not sure if there's any use calling, the only thing the phonemonkeys can do is look in the system where my Xbox is, which is quite useless.

Revlob, I pitty you when your warranty runs out and you current ex-box 360 dies. I got a full refund twice from Game, and then rebought for an additional 12 month warranty.

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. I was too concerned with getting a new machine to think ahead. Oh well, here's hoping my new machine lasts longer than the old one did.

What pisses me off about this is MS won't credit you for the time your 360 is away for the time you paid for live. Bastards/.

no but if you exchange with MS at least your warranty is reset. though to be honest i'd just take em to court if they refuse to change it

It just astounds me that after nearly 2 years, Microsoft have still done nothing to improve the reliability situation. They seem resolutely determined to bury their heads in the sand and outright lie to consumers. Equally astounding - if not more so - is that there are still plenty of imbeciles out there (though not here, thank god) willing to defend them. Every blog entry about 360 reliability seems to be flooded with comments about how everything's fine, and if your 360 breaks you must have done something wrong. Yep, that's right. Despite me having owned a ZX81, two Spectrums, an Amiga, 3 pcs, a Snes, a Gameboy, a DS, an N64, a Gamecube and a PS2, none of which ever failed, not once, I'm clearly some sort of idiot who can't look after a console to save his life. Gnnngh.

I'm on my second 360 - it tells you everything you need to know that I actually feel lucky it's only my second - and if Microsoft try to charge me for repair when (and it will be when) this one breaks, they can fuck right off. I'll be selling all the games and peripherals and getting a PS3. It's the only way they'll get the message.

and if Microsoft try to charge me for repair when (and it will be when) this one breaks, they can fuck right off. I'll be selling all the games and peripherals and getting a PS3. It's the only way they'll get the message.

This.

And when (or more likely if) MS get round to making it more reliable, then I might buy another one.

Booted mine up on Saturday and was greeted with the logo cut in half diagonally (the bottom 1/2 rendered at the top of the screen, and the top on the bottom) and froze there.

...rebooted and it played fine for a while then locked up with 2 flashing lights (overheating warning) - my set up is in our cellar where it's a constant sub 10 degrees c (suits me, can't stand heat!) so if it overheats down there, there's no hope!

This is my second, and 6 months out of warranty - looking forward to upcoming arguments.

Watchdog should follow up their report from earlier in the year since Microsoft blatantly lied to them when saying...

...there's no systemic issue. Each incident is unique and looked at on a case-by-case basis.

WATCHDOG

...I'm sure the guys at Micromart have an interesting response to that statement.

It just astounds me that after nearly 2 years, Microsoft have still done nothing to improve the reliability situation. They seem resolutely determined to bury their heads in the sand and outright lie to consumers. Equally astounding - if not more so - is that there are still plenty of imbeciles out there (though not here, thank god) willing to defend them. Every blog entry about 360 reliability seems to be flooded with comments about how everything's fine, and if your 360 breaks you must have done something wrong. Yep, that's right. Despite me having owned a ZX81, two Spectrums, an Amiga, 3 pcs, a Snes, a Gameboy, a DS, an N64, a Gamecube and a PS2, none of which ever failed, not once, I'm clearly some sort of idiot who can't look after a console to save his life. Gnnngh.

I'm on my second 360 - it tells you everything you need to know that I actually feel lucky it's only my second - and if Microsoft try to charge me for repair when (and it will be when) this one breaks, they can fuck right off. I'll be selling all the games and peripherals and getting a PS3. It's the only way they'll get the message.

It's disgusting really, but never fear, MS will get what's coming to them when this thing really blows up - it's just a matter of time, you can see the wave building...

Web press coverage is getting bigger but there's still some big sites (IGN? etc) who need to grow a pair of balls and do their job. The print press is catching on but will always lag behind so it needs to start online and cross over. We do need to get Watchdog back on the case as norty says.

I really think this gen is over for MS due to this issue and I don't think they will stick with the Xbox name for their next system.

I've contacted Watchdog with links to the news about the consoles going tits up, and complaining that they let MS off the hook far too easy last time with a feeble press release. If enough people do that, then they might actually investigate it properly this time.

Stuff it, just bought a new 360 from Argos, with the intention of slipping my faulty one in the box and taking it back for a refund. As interesting as it is going through the proper channels and learning about my rights as a consumer, I just want to play my games now.

I've contacted Watchdog with links to the news about the consoles going tits up, and complaining that they let MS off the hook far too easy last time with a feeble press release. If enough people do that, then they might actually investigate it properly this time.

cool, I'm up for that...what contact details did you use?

Stuff it, just bought a new 360 from Argos, with the intention of slipping my faulty one in the box and taking it back for a refund. As interesting as it is going through the proper channels and learning about my rights as a consumer, I just want to play my games now.

Can you let us know how it goes as I've always said that I would do that if mine ever went belly up (still on my 1st one, bought Jan 2006)

My saga with Tesco drags on. Plus, they've caught me in a really bad mood.

So my reply to their letter goes something like this.

Thank you for your help on the telephone last week.

Please find enclosed the assessment of electrical products out of warranty form you sent to me. I have completed this fully, but should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me or review my previous correspondance, where all the points were originally covered.

I can see from the date of your letter you tried to contact me within the 48 hours you assured me of during our telephone call on 26th June 2007. Thank you for that. Please accept my apology for the delay in getting back to you with this information. Due to a combination of the postal strike and having the letter sent second class, I did not receive it until Monday 2nd July.

I also apologise for not being able to use the pre-paid envelope as you suggest, as there was none enclosed. I have therefore sent this special delivery, as per my previous correspondance.

I note that you may require ‘an engineer’s report…to ascertain the source of any fault’. I would be happy to arrange for the machine to be inspected by a mutually agreeable independent, Microsoft accrediated, engineer. I understand that any cost this may involve to myself will be reimbursed by your company, should a fault be discovered.

Since my complaint has now been unsuccesfully resolved for over one month now, I would very much apprecite hearing back from you within the next seven days, from the date of this letter.

I look forward to your prompt reply,

I like to think it strikes a happy balance between being polite, should it go to court, and sarcasm over their ineptitude. Plus, it nicely documents just how unseriously they are taking it all.

Oh, and I'll head them off at the pass before one of 'their' engineers has a look at it and says there's nothing wrong with it. ;)

Can you let us know how it goes as I've always said that I would do that if mine ever went belly up (still on my 1st one, bought Jan 2006)

Will do. I'm sure it'll be fine. Argos offer full refunds on faulty items within 30 days (however, it has to be faulty - consoles are not covered by their 30 day return policy).

FUCK!

I've just moved into my new flat yesterday, and i'm still living out of the boxes. So in a moment of rest from the unpacking I decide to boot up my 360 for a bit. I plug it and and i'm excited about showing it to my new flatmates on the big screen when...

Three Red Lights.

FUCK!

Is there any hope? that either i'm just doing something stupid, or of getting a free repair. I'm not happy. its been a srtressful couple of days and this is really all I need.