IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

'Repaired' console has suffered its second RRoD. I think it is way past the original 3 year warranty now.

Fucking wretched thing, it's enough to make you want to buy a PS3 instead.

Do Microsoft have a warranty period for their pathetic attempts at repair work?

phone them, they'll try and make you pay but a manager will authorise a free repair without much persuading.

I dont share your happy experiences unfortunately. Microsoft support have always been resolute with me in refusing to authorise anything outside of the specified warranties, even when requesting a manager.

'Repaired' console has suffered its second RRoD. I think it is way past the original 3 year warranty now.

Fucking wretched thing, it's enough to make you want to buy a PS3 instead.

Do Microsoft have a warranty period for their pathetic attempts at repair work?

two weeks 90 days.

The response he got from them is pure amaze:

Dear Ian,

I am sorry you are so angry. Have you considered letting christ into your

life?.

Our lord will show you the true happiness my friend to letting go of hatred

and pent up feelings of confusion. A tremendous sense of connnection with

the world you may have been missing can be reached simply by letting your

heart open to Jesus. Silly childhood toys such your xbox will then seem

laughable once you know what life is really about. Sure sitting on your own

with a toy seems like life right now. But with a Christ in your life, your

eyes will be open and you will see what life has to offer in all its

splender.

Or check out Budha he's alright and that.

Regards and love skp

I mean :hat:

Mine went yesterday. Well technically it went at some point between me switching it off on Monday night and turning it on again yesterday evening. Did the towel trick and it failed, so tried again, leaving it to heat for longer. It was too hot to touch by the time I'd finished with it, so I left it call for about 25 minutes and it's been absolutely fine since. Don't expect it to last, but as short term fix (giving me hopefully a weekend of gaming before i exchange on Monday) it seems to have worked.

I'm pretty confident that my first ever 360 is on the way out now, as it's freezing very often, starting last week. Frozen three times in the space of an hour tonight.

As it's less than a year old, if it does break, could I bring it back to GAME for a refund, or would I have to send it back to Microsoft? I'm really annoyed by this, as less than a year is ridiculous, to the extent that I probably won't buy another 360. It turns a year old in about a week though, if that makes any difference.

Alternatively, I've got the accident cover, so say if the xbox were to fall off a shelf, or get stepped on, would I be able to bring it back for a refund? :shifty:

Thanks for any help. :wub:

360 failure rate at 54.2%

OK, so it's nothing official, but that's a much higher figure than Microsoft have ever hinted at (10% being the "nearest to official" figure I can find).

Nearly 5,000 readers were surveyed, though the sample’s rife with inconsistencies (Xbox 360 is apparently used more than other consoles, etc). Still though, it’s an interesting look at console usage among core gamers.

No issue with the figure itself though, in the real world it could be 60% it could be 45%, could be insanely high. It's hardly the failure rate, it's the readers survey failure rate. Your post is worded all sensational tabloid style :angry:

Obv MS will downplay the problem to a massive extent. They know it was fucked, no one with a 10% problem would give 3 year warranties as standard when the competitors give 1

We will probably never know the true failure rate, but based on personally gathered anecdotal evidence it's closer to 100% than 0% as literally everybody I know with a 360 had to send it back for repairs at least once.

Yep, same, thats why these small survey figures don't really mean much or surprise me. The survey also had a 10% failure rate with the PS3, I bet the majority of cases were the original 60gb's. In todays models I gather that number would be far lower.

Apparently they do. There's a parcel-tracker service on Twitter and lots of people have commented that they can't use it because their tracking numbers have already been used by someone else.

Or, you know, time hole. Whichever is easiest.

Do UPS re-use tracking numbers?

I got an email yesterday saying Microsoft had received my 360, and my status says it has now been repaired or replaced and is on it's way back.

But, the tracking number says it has been delivered, in France, in May 2008.

From an experience I had, yes.

I ordered something from USA that was to be delivered by UPS. The tracking number I was given showed it had already been delivered to somewhere or other. So I got back in touch with the guy in the US to tell him, he got pissed off and sent me the same thing again.

Eventually both orders arrived from the US. The original one with the screwy tracking number and the replacement.

Also, my Xbox rrod 2 weeks or so ago, I think I melted it by watching 5 hours of Deadwood back to back

Came back from a two week holiday last night and put the 360 on and bingo - three red lights! Thankfully I've only had it since Nov 08 so GAME can swap it for the first year. Took it down to my local store this morning but when the guy tested it, it bloody worked!

Oh well, it seems to be ok now but I'm sure the power cut problems we had in our area a few weeks ago have contributed to this. Wondering what the long term damage is - every time I switch it on now I get nervous!

Take a photo of it red ringing next time and bring your camera with you for proof. Its on its way out, no xbox recovers for a red ring, unless you xclamp it.

I x clamped my 7th xbox myself and it went for a month with no issues, then crashed with a graphic glitch. Tightened the screws and its all good again several weeks later. I put a talismoon fan in earlier in the week and now its cooler and quieter too.

As for failure rate mine is 100%, all 7 have died on their arses. The only reason I fixed the 7th is because its lasted me almost 2 years, well over double any of the others.

Yeah the RROD is a sign it WILL happen again, take it back and demand a replacement.

The RROD does NOT 100% fail every time after it has happened once! This means after cooling it could work for a whole week straight (or not), Microsoft know this, so if the retailer refuses to refund or replace then contact the manager, then the Area Sales Manager if you get no joy from the manager. THEN ask for Head Office' telephone number (you could get it online but ask anyhow) and inform them you will also be going to trading standards as it breeches your rights (electrical goods 12 month guarantee).

Faults do not have to happen 100% of the time in order for the customer to get a replacement. The staff there are either ignorant of the facts or know them and are deliberately being bastards. Return the favour.

:(

Mine has gone twice, if it goes again Ill be cross but at least will get a HDMI replacement one.

I know the failure rate. Well, the guesstimate one they were expecting at launch - 6 months. If mine goes again ill tell everyone :(

:(

Mine has gone twice, if it goes again Ill be cross but at least will get a HDMI replacement one.

I know the failure rate. Well, the guesstimate one they were expecting at launch - 6 months. If mine goes again ill tell everyone :(

If you send off one with a HDMI port in the back do you get one with a HDMI port back?

, so if the retailer refuses to refund or replace then contact the manager, then the Area Sales Manager if you get no joy from the manager. THEN ask for Head Office' telephone number

No need. GAME head office always side with the customer.

I had a customer come in store the other week. Fucked xbox 360. The receipt said it was only 6 weeks old, yet on the back of the machine, it was made in 2007, and the serial number didn't match the one on the receipt. So it was obviously a different machine.

We refused to exchange it and he fucked off. 45 mins later head office called to ask why did we not let him have an exchange, so I explained he was trying to con us basically. They said no problem, he is coming back in and we are to exchange it!! :(

I've had mine for 9 months and I could swear it's taking a bit longer to load in textures.

Mine's the same. Was repaired about six months or so ago, I think, but is definitely taking longer to load textures. Noticed it when playing Bioshock in particular, which I'm sure didn't have textures popping up all over the place when I first played it over a year ago. Now it's as bad as Mass Effect. Hm.

No need. GAME head office always side with the customer.

I had a customer come in store the other week. Fucked xbox 360. The receipt said it was only 6 weeks old, yet on the back of the machine, it was made in 2007, and the serial number didn't match the one on the receipt. So it was obviously a different machine.

We refused to exchange it and he fucked off. 45 mins later head office called to ask why did we not let him have an exchange, so I explained he was trying to con us basically. They said no problem, he is coming back in and we are to exchange it!! ;)

Yeah thats the other side of the coin- thats when Head Office need to stand up for their staff but, as you say, never will.

I used to work in a mens suit store for years and once we had this bloke come in complaining about the wear on his shoes - we made all our clothing so it had our serial numbers on them. I checked and they were FOUR years old (leather soles too). We said no, a day later call from HO refund the item. A week or so later a lot of guys come in with old jackets, coats, etc, which to HO dismay we promptly refunded for. Some were even over 10 years old :blush:

We were eventually "unofficially" asked to use our judgement over refunds, which of course was overturned the first time another numpty called Head Office again. Ahh retail, the joy of dealing with daily planks.