IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

It seems more and more people are picking up on the failure rate of the 360. Once one of the main newspapers gets involved with this, and carries the headline about 2500 tits up 360 a day being repaired it just might prompt MS into taking some kind of action to alleviate consumer fears about poor reliability, and even drop the repair fee ?

How are you tracking your machine? Just ringing them up?

I don't fancy sitting on hold for half an hour every time I want an update.

Yep, first few calls I got through in a minute or two, more recently it's been 10 to 15 minutes. Plus the hold music isn't too bad, well except for the last time where I got strange electronic noises overlayed ontop of heavily distored Air tracks. Guess it depends on which call centre you get routed to as I've noticed differences is the recorded messages too.

Not much point in ringing more than once a week either as things seem to be moving so slowly at the mo :(

It seems more and more people are picking up on the failure rate of the 360. Once one of the main newspapers gets involved with this, and carries the headline about 2500 tits up 360 a day being repaired it just might prompt MS into taking some kind of action to alleviate consumer fears about poor reliability, and even drop the repair fee ?

Wait, they charge you to fix it?

I wrote a letter directly to the boss of the Dutch Entertainment & Devices department of Microsoft. Like, a proper letter, on paper with stamps and all that.

It's too long to translate just now, but the main message is that they should quit fucking around with customers and just admit any problems and do something about it. But then in a polite and constructive manner. If I get an answer (which I doubt) I'll put it in this thread.

Right, I've spoken with Microsoft, who offered to take it away and have the thing repaired, after I ran a couple of tests involving removing the hard drive and checking the PSU light. I forgot to ask whether I would get a replacement of the original back, but they did say that there is only a 90 day warranty on repaired items. That's not good enough! I said I'll try taking it back to the shop I bought it from, the nice lady I spoke to said some people have tried that but it "depends on the shop's warranty". She gave me a reference number to prove it's broke, sounds like she's had a number of people unhappy with the 90 day warranty.

I'm off to GAME on Saturday to get it replaced through them, anyone done the same before?

I got my xbox from Game in October - actually the first one I got died within a couple of days, so they swapped it - and my second xbox got the ring of death on Tuesday.

I took it back to Game this evening, and they offered to replace it without any hassle (I needn't have packaged up all of the cables, controller, etc). They told me that they're getting 3 xboxes returned every day at the moment. They just wanted to see the receipt, and had a quick look inside the front cover, and that was that.

So, I hope that puts your mind at ease. Good luck on Saturday.

The interesting part of that article, for me, is the link to evidence that MS are adding additional heatsinks to refurbished machines. Despite their determination to avoid talking about this, it has to be good that they are at least doing something to make refurbs more reliable, rather than just patching them up with exactly the same components. Not as good as a redesign of course, but still...

I got my xbox from Game in October - actually the first one I got died within a couple of days, so they swapped it - and my second xbox got the ring of death on Tuesday.

I took it back to Game this evening, and they offered to replace it without any hassle (I needn't have packaged up all of the cables, controller, etc). They told me that they're getting 3 xboxes returned every day at the moment. They just wanted to see the receipt, and had a quick look inside the front cover, and that was that.

So, I hope that puts your mind at ease. Good luck on Saturday.

That's great to hear. I was a little concerned GAME would just tell me to send it to Microsoft, and I'd have to argue the SoG Act at them.

In spite of all of this, Justin is still behind Microsoft's console. "I still like Microsoft, as much as that may astound people. There's no real hate towards the company for what I have experienced."

I don't know about anything else but this chap should beatified or something. He certainly has the patience of a saint.

Where would the UK law stand on getting a refund? By 11 returns (or 5 or 3) you are going to lose faith right? A which point can all hope of a refund die?

I've only lost one so far (after around 6 months I think, was ages ago now :( ) and took it straight back to HMV who tried to tell me to send it off until I reminded them that my contract of sale was with them, not Microsoft at which point they took it in the back and brought me a brand spanking new one to replace it with...I unsealed the box so know this newness to be true :D

What's the generation span of a console these days anyway...4 or 5 years?

...I'd say it was pretty reasonable to expect something that is essentially designed to sit on a shelf while you wave a wirelss controller about should last at least 1/2 that time...if not then clearly there is a design flaw. From what I can tell from a quick flick through the SoG, the curx of a small claim in this kind of case seems to be reasonable expectations on the lifetime of something.

Took my dead box back to the store today, and off it goes to Prague for anything up to 7 weeks! If i had known it was going to go belly up I would have taken it to Prague with me last week :D god this is so irritating, especially as I was looking to get some new games now work is settling down...ARSE!

Its gone all the way through the plastic, but the shiny bit isn't damaged.

[edit]

Actually, it's just the top layer. Odd.

I ask because I had a disc crack beyond use. I hadn't noticed a crack when I put it in, the first time I took it out I noticed a small one in the centre, hoped it wouldn't matter but eventually it spread across the disc. I just assume it was there all along, just initially too small for me to notice. Or...

Well, I actually recieved a letter back from Tesco today. Hoo-bloody-ray.

Hold the fanfare though. They're not going to make it easy, now are they?

They've asked me to fill in a form detailing the purchase, what the fault is, if it's been repaired before and who by, etc, etc.

Oh, you want me to tell you ALL THE BLOODY STUFF I'VE ALREADY WRITTEN IN THE FIRST SODDING LETTER TO YOU THEN. ARRRRGHHHH.

Still, I'll do it and see what I get back.

Cheeky sods actually sent it second class post as well. Tight cunts.

Bougth a new one yesterday as i got tierd of arguing with the repair senter about my old one wich was "fixed" twise, new one broke today after just 1 day

But of course MS we all know that's just bad luck and there's nothing wrong with the 360 in general >_>

!*@#*!!!!!!! :lol:

Just called the 'support' line again to see if there was any sign of an update and they have added a new recorded message which basically says that all repairs are currently taking 25 working days and that you should only bother waiting to speak to someone if it's already been more than that! They hope to be back to a 15 working day turnaround by the end july. :lol:

Has anyone else with an outstanding repair received their console back recently?

Hope atleast some of us have received some good news.

!*@#*!!!!!!! :lol:

Just called the 'support' line again to see if there was any sign of an update and they have added a new recorded message which basically says that all repairs are currently taking 25 working days and that you should only bother waiting to speak to someone if it's already been more than that! They hope to be back to a 15 working day turnaround by the end july. :lol:

Has anyone else with an outstanding repair received their console back recently?

Hope atleast some of us have received some good news.

I'm into my fourth week of waiting for mine. It took them two weeks to acknowledge that they'd received it from UPS.

A mate of a mate just got his back after just over a week! Bizarre.

I rang yesterday to confirm that they'd got mine (I knew they had, UPS tracking) and they said they did, only been gone just under a week.