IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

This thread fills me with fear. I have a launch machine that is has never given me a single problem? Watch out for me in this thread soon! :ph34r:

Me too.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but have we worked out whether horizontal or vertical is safest? Mine has been vertical since launch and (touch wood) I have not had any problems. Im frightened to change now, as I might jinx it.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...uEupBKcalHP.php

Don't know if this have been posted already.

bio_holmdahl.jpg

There are no systematic issues. The vast majority of the people just love the product, have a great experience with it.

There are no systematic issues. The vast majority of the people just love the product, have a great experience with it.

bio_holmdahl.jpg

There are no systematic issues. The vast majority of the blue-screen-of-death.gifpeople just love the product, have a great experience with it.

.::: Fixed.

That's it then, the dam has finally burst, and the worst kept secret in the games industry is out.

For the first time we're getting some actual figures, fair enough they're still anecdotal, but they all seem far more in line with our experiences.

EB Manager says failiure rate tops 30 percent

Worth noting that this story has 1046 diggs.

Combined with this new (tabloid friendly) claim that up to 2500 360's are being returned in the UK daily, and the more than plausible explanation for the boxes systemic design flaw, I think MS have little choice other than to act on this problem, before the wave of bad PR hits.

Just browsing over on Eurogamer forums, and some one has linked to this company, that has stopped repairing the 360, due to an overwhelming volume. :blink:

XBOX 360 - Micromart has now withdrawn from offering a Repair Service for the dreaded 3 Red Lights fault.

This problem is endemic on the XBox 360 console and the volume has made this repair non-viable.

Other repairs to the XBox 360 are still being supported.

Blimey, that can't be good.

As Nappy said, it's far from being a small fault, otherwise it would have been rectified by now and new consoles wouldn't be failing.

Someone made a very bad design decision or cost cutting measure down the line, and sooner or later it's going to cost MS dearly. Once the figures for replacements get to ridiculous amounts (yeah right MS - a 3-5% failure rate? try at least 45%) then surely some legal eagle in the US will start class action lawsuit against them? They love their Judge Judy over there.

That's it then, the dam has finally burst, and the worst kept secret in the games industry is out.

For the first time we're getting some actual figures, fair enough they're still anecdotal, but they all seem far more in line with our experiences.

EB Manager says failiure rate tops 30 percent

Worth noting that this story has 1046 diggs.

Combined with this new (tabloid friendly) claim that up to 2500 360's are being returned in the UK daily, and the more than plausible explanation for the boxes systemic design flaw, I think MS have little choice other than to act on this problem, before the wave of bad PR hits.

It seems our Jeebus wasn't so far off the mark after all...

I love the blatent Microsoft plant response under that featutre! ;)

Makes me sick to read it but I'll quote it here anyway:

The statistics are actually very clear that the overall defect ratio for worldwide sales is in the margin of 3-5%, which is exactly where it should be. The defect ratios really were higher than 3-5% in certain parts of the country, which is why it seems much worse in certain parts of the country or certain stores. Once you know all of the facts you will easily understand why that is.

The Xbox 360 and the PS2 actually have nearly identical defect rates of 3-5%. Over 100 million PS2 systems have been sold, and there have been over 5 million PS2 systems that have had defects. That is a LOT of defective PS2 systems, but in reality that is pretty good defect ratio.

It's the same thing with the Xbox 360. There are 13 million Xbox 360 systems out there, and about 11.5 million of them have been sold to consumers. 3-5% of 11.5 million is a LOT of systems. 3-5% of 11.5 million means that about 500,000 systems out there were defective. But, we need to remember that 5% is actually a reasonably good number for a defect ratio.

With the Xbox 360 the situation is considerably different than the PS2 because of the way the products were distributed. The defect ratio "seems" considerably higher in certain parts of the country because IT IS considerably higher in certain parts of the country!

The reason the defect ratio is considerably higher in certain parts of the world is because the Xbox 360 systems were built in three different factories. One of the factories constructed FAR more defective units than the others. The "batches" of systems shipped to certain parts of the world from that particular factory had a MUCH HIGHER defect ratio.

So, the reason why an EB store in one part of the country would experience a 30% defect ratio, while stores in other parts of the country would experience standard defect ratios of only 3-5% or less would be because the units are shipped in batches from the individual factories. In other words, that one particular factory was known for producing "batches" of units with a higher defect ratio, and those batches were not evenly distributed; they were targeted toward specific geographic regions and individual stores in particular. This means that in the past a store in place #1 might have had a 30% defect ratio, while a store in place #2 might have had a defect ratio of less than 1%.

Microsoft recently closed that particular factory with a higher than average defect ratio. This is an excellent solution, because it COMPLETELY solves the problem.

Microsoft also did a very nice job of extending the warranties of all Xbox 360 systems made in the year 2005 by an additional year. The Xbox 360 experienced its largest number of defective units with the systems produced in the year 2005, and that is why Microsoft extended the warranty by such a long time. Microsoft really did a nice job with that situation. Many people who paid for repairs were given 100% refunds, and Microsoft accepted responsibility.

At this point in time, Microsoft recently made an improvement to the Xbox 360 systems being sent back to consumers when consumers experience a problem with their system and send it to Microsoft. Microsoft will give consumers a type of improved Xbox 360 with additional fans on the inside, which helps improve the ventilation. This makes sense because most of the defects occur as a result of overheating due to poor ventilation.

If you currently have an Xbox 360 or any other system placed in a tight area that is poorly ventilated, that is when you might want to consider buying one of those Fan accessories for the system, in order to improve ventilation and keep the system cooler.

Overall, the situation with the Xbox 360 has been improved in an excellent way. The way Microsoft recently closed the factory that produced virtually all of the defective units essentially solved the problem. Microsoft also started using newer DVD players that produce less heat and generate less noise.

It has actually never been a better time to buy an Xbox 360 than now. Nevertheless, I think it's always a good idea for people to buy an insurance policy on any and every piece of electronics they purchase, including all of their videogame systems.

People who already own an Xbox 360 should know that Microsoft now has a policy in place where you can spend just $24.95 for an additional year of insurance added to your warranty and $49.90 for two additional years of additional insurance added to your warranty. As long as your system is still covered under its original warranty or an extended insurance policy, you are eligible to purchase new insurance policies. Theoretically this means your system could be covered under insurance policies forever. This is a cool type of policy to take advantage of.

I personally think it?s a good idea to purchase insurance one year at a time with this particular insurance policy Microsoft offers. You can purchase these insurance policies at 1-800-4MY-XBOX. If you haven't already purchased insurance, and you are close to the end of your one-year warranty, it would probably be a good idea to do so. Personally, I think people should buy insurance policies like that to begin with.

I love the mention of the extended Warranty. Not in bloody Europe they didnt ;)

Exactly, fucking cunts!

Extend warranty, close factory, stick head in the sand.

Anything but bloody fix the damn problem. They won't be ignoring it for much longer, that's for sure!

I've now been without my 360 for seven straight weeks.

Got my first three light failure and returned that console for repair (I'd had it for 11 months without problems). That took three weeks to fix.

It broke exactly two days later.

Had that one taken back and now I've been waiting almost four weeks to get this one back. If it's been shipped off to Prague then it's no wonder.

My withdrawal symptoms are so severe that I've started reading Halo novels to fill the time.

Seven FUCKING weeks...

My box just died on me, less than impressed, but not with the ring of death, it just freezes after about 5 minutes with a chessboard pattern on the screen, and the light goes out on the ring but the picture stays there locked.

*sigh*

Seven FUCKING weeks...

I'm also in the 'more than 15 working days' club (not that 15 working days is really acceptable service anyway!) as it's now been 4 and a half weeks since my 360 failed.

The first week was wasted after the service line mis-diagnosed the problem and claimed that a new power supply would fix the problem. This was despite me pointing out that their solution was at odds to their own knowledge base (kb 906101) an act of such impudence that the first csr actually hung up on me for daring to challenge her! ^_^

My console was finally picked up by UPS on the 2nd of June and arrived at the Havent service centre on the 5th.

When I'd heard nothing after 15 working days I called them up again (25th) and was told that my machine had been forwarded on to Prague in Germany?!? as there were certain types of repair that they couldn't do in Havent. No explaination was given on why it took so long for them to do this (it arrived in Prague on the 22nd) and they made no attempt to hide the fact that it had been sent overseas. The guy could give me no information on how much longer I would have to wait and advised that I should call again on Friday for an update. To be fair to them he did offer compensation without me really having to press for it and said I would get a call in the next two days to discuss it (which I did). I was offered a choice of PGR3, PDZ, Kameo or Viva Pinata and without a hint of irony told it would take 15 business days to arrive!

This isn't an issue for me but are MS giving free extensions to Live gold account holders to cover their repair time? At no point was I asked if I had a sub.

Anyway this is my first console failure in more than 20 years of gaming and though I accept that some failures will always happen I am really disappointed at how shoddy microsoft's response has been, both to fixing my 360 and the issue as a whole. Am keeping notes throughout the process and will certainly been sending them a very strong letter when (if!!!) it finally gets resolved.

Vent over

....and relax! :(