IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I just bought a 360, and it comes with an offer to get an extra 2 years warranty for (I think) £70.

Sounds like it might be worth going for. I've always thought of these things as a con to get money out of you, but in this case I might well get my monies worth out of Microsoft.

Is anyone else taking up this offer?

Looking back, I should have bit the bullet and paid for the extra warranty. Another two years of peace of mind would be worth that £70 in my opinion. It's just a lot to add on top of an already expensive Premium, with a couple of games, VGA cable, play and charge kit, etc...

The warranty is for 12 months. Standard thing. I don't actually know what warranty they give once they repair it though. And the repair is hardly a guarantee against future problems.

Oh, I'm assuming you're in the UK.

Thanks god for that. I'm pretty sure it's less 12 months old. At least, my first Live subscription hasn't expired yet. Best get it sorted ASAP though, anyone care to summarise what the process is for me?

Thanks god for that. I'm pretty sure it's less 12 months old. At least, my first Live subscription hasn't expired yet. Best get it sorted ASAP though, anyone care to summarise what the process is for me?

Give them a call (0800 587 1102) and tell them it's borked. They'll probably ask for a serial number or something (can't remember what exactly) then they should send you an email with a UPS thing on it. Attach to a box, stick 360 in it and send off. Get nice 360 back. Well, that's the theory, anyway.

There does seem to be a bit of a backlog at the moment. They'll probably say it will be back in 15 days. I wouldn't believe them, if I were you.

You might want to ask what warranty/guarantee they will give on a repaired model. Let us know how you get on.

CurryKitten, unfortunately they are perfectly entitled to ask for an experts opinion. From the Which? website:

Best to find a local one, check they'll look at the 360 and then check with Argos that they will accept the evidence. Frankly, you know what they're going to find so it is a stalling tactic on their part. When you get the report, there will be absolutely nothing they can do though. They'll have to cough up.

Look on the bright side, at least they're communicating with you. I haven't got a scooby what's going on with mine.

Thanks, thats helpful. The only things that concerns me is that it sounds like - from the Which link - that I'm trying to prove that the fault was there at time of purchase, and thus a manufacturing fault. The fact that the damn thing has failed in such a small space of time (i.e I should be able to reasonably expect it to last longer), could potentially support this, but seems like a tricky on to prove. What's your take on what I'm looking for in the report ?

I think it's pretty much well known, but unconfirmed by MS, that the soldering is wank. When the motherboard warps (cos of the heat), the solder just spazzs off and borks your machine. That's all technical jargon, by the way.

From this site that somebody linked to earlier (the chap who runs it is on here and may be able to confirm what I'm blathering about):

At 360Repair, we can fix 95% of all 3 Red Light Errors. Reading the manual that accompanies your 360 will tell you that 3 red lights equate to an 'unknown hardware error'. In almost every case the problem is caused by weak solder joints within the Grid Ball Array of both the Graphics Processing Unit and the Central Processing Unit.

The joints become weak as the board flexes due to the high temperatures within the console casing.

I'd be looking for poor soldering and evidence that the motherboard has warped would be a bonus.

Of course, if you can find someone that says it was designed and built by a bunch of braindead, blind, arthretic monkeys, all the better.

Best get it sorted ASAP though, anyone care to summarise what the process is for me?

If you bought it in a shop take it back and demand a full refund, then let them talk you down to a replacement, win win so they think.

I am on my 5 xbox, replaced 1 and had 3 full refunds. Still have 6 months left of warantee on my launch xbox (because I got full refunds and rebought)

my fifth has started freezing on the dashboard (but not ingame at all) :)

I think it's pretty much well known, but unconfirmed by MS, that the soldering is wank. When the motherboard warps (cos of the heat), the solder just spazzs off and borks your machine. That's all technical jargon, by the way.

From this site that somebody linked to earlier (the chap who runs it is on here and may be able to confirm what I'm blathering about):

I'd be looking for poor soldering and evidence that the motherboard has warped would be a bonus.

Of course, if you can find someone that says it was designed and built by a bunch of braindead, blind, arthretic monkeys, all the better.

Yes, though in my case it's the DVD drive that's spazing out - which doesn't seem quite as well documented

It gets more interesting. :)

Got off the phone from Trading Standards, who said I have little alternative but to take it to court.

So, I've downloaded the form and will be filling it in over the next couple of days.

Anyway, I'm a bit hacked off with Tesco, so I've phoned them to get the name of the Customer Service Manager, as I want to put in a complaint.

Apparently, it's him who's dealing with it :) . That won't stop me complaining to somebody above him though. Although it has now (this very second?) been escalated and I shall hear from them within 48 hours. We'll see.

Oh, and I still think a call and letter to the ERA wouldn't go amiss.

EDIT: Apparently, the Director General of the ERA will be calling me back. I'll believe it when I hear it. But still, LOL.

Hardly official really...

I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but I don't think it will matter. Class action lawsuit by the end of the year, like I said. MS will have wished they'd just done a recall back in '05 when this thing really blows up!

There does seem to be a bit of a backlog at the moment. They'll probably say it will be back in 15 days. I wouldn't believe them, if I were you.

They said 25-30 days after collection for mine, so that would appear to be the case.

I've got my printable UPS label, but it's unreadable.

If you bought it in a shop take it back and demand a full refund, then let them talk you down to a replacement, win win so they think.

I am on my 5 xbox, replaced 1 and had 3 full refunds. Still have 6 months left of warantee on my launch xbox (because I got full refunds and rebought)

my fifth has started freezing on the dashboard (but not ingame at all) ;)

Isn't the retailer just going to say that the warranty process is to return it to the manufacturer? Is boxing it all up with its original accessories and taking it back to GAME where I bought it from really going to be less hassle than sending just the console back to Microsoft?

Isn't the retailer just going to say that the warranty process is to return it to the manufacturer? Is boxing it all up with its original accessories and taking it back to GAME where I bought it from really going to be less hassle than sending just the console back to Microsoft?

It's just quicker to take it back to the shop. Get a new console on the same day, rather than two weeks later.

Well, they can. As has been well documented here. Mainly by me. However, they would be telling massive porky pies. They have a legal obligation to refund, replace or repair the console, as provided under the Sales of Goods Act 1979. This is upto 6 years (or however you would reasonably expect the goods to last for).

Basically, it boils down to whether you want to kick up a stink in the shop get a new 360 and another years warranty , or deal with MS, and have no guarantee that it won't do the same a few months down the line.

I speak from bitter and resentful experience. ;)

First call to MS on May 31st, had my 360 collected the following week. It took a week to get to them and another week before MS acknowledged receipt of my machine. I'm getting I won't be getting back a cruddy refurb this month. Oh well, Overlord and The Darkness will have to wait ;) I haven't even fucking played Forza 2 either ;)

Just read the whole of this thread. I really liked your letter, Deeptone, hope it goes well for you.

I'll give MS a call tonight (or when their lines next open), and ask them what I'll be getting if I send it to them. Another 12 month warranty on any repairs/replacements would be nice. If I don't get that, I'm going to take it back to GAME at the weekend.

Just read the whole of this thread. I really liked your letter, Deeptone, hope it goes well for you.

Thanks, I think I may have upset a few people today.

I've just got off the phone with the Director General of the Entertainment Retail Association. Had a nice discussion about codes of conduct when dealing with compalints. She has said she will have a chat with the guy in charge of all entertainment retail at Tesco and see if she can get something sorted

out for me, as it wasn't really on. Which is nice.

Plus, I just kicked up a stink at tesco head office, wanting to complain about the Service Manager and getting a formal written apology out of them. That got me put through to some very senior people.

And it's not hard to find out the e-mail address' of all the board of directors for Tesco. ;)

Now, let's see what Tesco have to say. Otherwise I'm heading off to the British Retail Consortium. ;)

Thanks, I think I may have upset a few people today.

I've just got off the phone with the Director General of the Entertainment Retail Association. Had a nice discussion about codes of conduct when dealing with compalints. She has said she will have a chat with the guy in charge of all entertainment retail at Tesco and see if she can get something sorted

out for me, as it wasn't really on. Which is nice.

Plus, I just kicked up a stink at tesco head office, wanting to complain about the Service Manager and getting a formal written apology out of them. That got me put through to some very senior people.

And it's not hard to find out the e-mail address' of all the board of directors for Tesco. ;)

Now, let's see what Tesco have to say. Otherwise I'm heading off to the British Retail Consortium. ;)

I think you'll crack it on this one, high up people don't like to hear that complaints haven't been dealt with well - irrespective on whether they believe the law is with you or them. I managed to get my HD projector repaired for free (the bill was £650 originally) which was 3 years out of warranty basically because of the shoddy way I was dealt with

No idea if it's been mentioned already or not. But some machines coming back from Microsoft have been fitted with an extra heat sink on the motherboard. If anyone is complaining, this would surely be MS admitting that there IS a problem in the machine?

Right, I've spoken with Microsoft, who offered to take it away and have the thing repaired, after I ran a couple of tests involving removing the hard drive and checking the PSU light. I forgot to ask whether I would get a replacement of the original back, but they did say that there is only a 90 day warranty on repaired items. That's not good enough! I said I'll try taking it back to the shop I bought it from, the nice lady I spoke to said some people have tried that but it "depends on the shop's warranty". She gave me a reference number to prove it's broke, sounds like she's had a number of people unhappy with the 90 day warranty.

I'm off to GAME on Saturday to get it replaced through them, anyone done the same before?