IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

Oh deary, deary me.

Tesco still haven't had the decency to write back to me. BIG MISTAKE. HUGE. MASSIVE.

Still, they've got one day to get back to me, but I'm not exactly going to hold my breath.

They obviously seem to think that I have got better things to do than sit around writing letters and looking up retail law, and I'll get bored soon enough. WRONG. My 360's bust, of course I haven't got anything better to do.

Still, look what I've managed to dig up today.

Entertainmet Retaliers Association. This group represents retailers of, amongst other things, video games. They also, so I believe, have a code of practice that all members must adhere to in their dealings with complaints from consumers.

Who are the members, well most of the big retailers are on their member list, so I thouht you guys would apprecite finding out about them.

So, I think I shall be writing a letter to their rather foxy Director General expressing my dismay at Tesco's handling of my complaint. Lets see what comes of that.

Oh, and what's this here. Seem's some nice company has put up not only her office number, but also her mobile number. I'm sure that will come in useful in the coming weeks. :)

So, in one more days time, the gloves come off and I stop being so damn nice. I'll set Trading Standards on them, start applying pressure to the ERA, sort out the small claims court and possibly write to their head office as well as anything else I can think off. Fun times.

I got a call from MS on Friday asking to rate the service of a 'support call' which could only have been my repair job. Proceeded to give an earful for 10 mins during which time the woman agreed that my claim of a "systematic failure which MS refuses to acknowledge" was something she heard quite a lot.

Guest Elfez

I have to say I'm utterly amazed that people still insist on buying the 360 knowing full well that it is a pile of poo from a QA point of view. If there is one thing I really despise MS for it is the way they have managed to convince people that shoddy, crashing products are perfectly normal and acceptable. And that to top it off they treat their customers with utter contempt (which I'm beginning to think is quite deserved).

It has to be said that even as a die-hard linux user I was really seriously tempted to buy a 360, but their shitty hardware and response to their customers put me off (I ended up getting a wii instead, and will probably get a PS3 when they drop to a sensible price in a couple of years time).

I have to say I'm utterly amazed that people still insist on buying the 360 knowing full well that it is a pile of poo from a QA point of view. If there is one thing I really despise MS for it is the way they have managed to convince people that shoddy, crashing products are perfectly normal and acceptable. And that to top it off they treat their customers with utter contempt (which I'm beginning to think is quite deserved).

It has to be said that even as a die-hard linux user I was really seriously tempted to buy a 360, but their shitty hardware and response to their customers put me off (I ended up getting a wii instead, and will probably get a PS3 when they drop to a sensible price in a couple of years time).

Well, if it continues, and it gets a bit more attention in the mainstream press, then yes, sales for the machine probably will suffer. And MS will have nobody to blame but themselves.

However, a vast majority of people on here (including myself) and other forums I've seen bought them on or around launch. We didn't really have a huge sphere of reference to make a decision on, now did we. What I, and I'm sure many others, want is a stable machine that they can play their library of games on that they've already invested in.

I've just been told that it'll probably take another week or two before my 360 is returned.

Apparantly they no longer swap broken machines for new ones, but actually repair them and send them back. They also have a big backlog because of this. The guy on the phone said he got 'a lot of angry customers' because of this, so I wonder how many machines are actually sent back for repair :D

I'm going to write a sour mail to the Dutch Xbox HQ, complaining that I miss out on the Halo 3 beta because of this and that I want compensation for buying Crackdown. Maybe I can get a free game out of it...

Thinking aloud here, but I wonder what the situation is regarding finding and acknowledging hardware faults between the different territorial branches of MS?

I mean, if there was a problem with the Wii or DS, I'd be pretty amazed if NoE would even know about it unless NoJ formally briefed them. I assume the non-US bits of Microsoft have a similarly limited remit when it comes to the 360.

If this is an accurate reflection of the situation, what is it going to take to make MS's US engineers acknowledge the problem? Bearing in mind these are guys who are willing to state that the Wii is less powerful than the Xbox1 and the 360's removable hard drives are fairly priced.

I can only see this having a messy ending.

Just came off the phone about my problem. They want me to send it in (will take 25 to 30 working days after collection, they will not supply a box). I pressed her on whether my games would be replaced, and she directed me to the disc replacement program website, forgetting to mention that it costs £10 per disc and is only any good for Microsoft games. I complained about this, and got her to accept that it was Microsoft policy not to replace disks broken by faulty consoles, even if they themselves had found that the drive was faulty.

She also made it quite clear that 360s do not scratch disks under any circumstances, no matter what I threw at her.

:D

Well, my saga is going in a slightly different direction - Argos seemed to have latched on to this proving of the manufacturing problem, even though I've gone on more about the reasonable lifetime that the sale of good act tells us about, here's there latest response -

Dear Mr CurryKitten,

Subject: Order number XXXXXXXXXX.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the fault with your Xbox360.

I am sorry to read that your Xbox360 is faulty, however as it exceeds our 12 month guarantee you will need to organise and pay for, an independent report by an accredited microsoft company to inspect the item.

Once this has been done, please send the original report to:

Customer Relations

Argos Direct

Acton Gate

Stafford

ST18 9AR

Please include your full name, address with postcode and order number, together with a copy of the receipt for your report.

When we have received this report we will contact you within 7 ? 10 days to advise you of the next procedure. You are advised to keep a copy of the report for your records.

Please note; If a manufacturing fault is found, we will reimburse the cost of the report.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0870 600 2020.

Regards,

A. Useless-Twat

Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

I can't tell if their tactic is just to frustrate me until I kill myself, there seems to be a lack of acknowledgement in what I'm saying - and now they turned from "tell Microsoft" to "tell a Microsoft accredited repair centre"

What do you think, keep plugging away at the emails, start on the trading standards people, or find and kill all Argos staff ?

I can't tell if their tactic is just to frustrate me until I kill myself, there seems to be a lack of acknowledgement in what I'm saying - and now they turned from "tell Microsoft" to "tell a Microsoft accredited repair centre"

How can it be independent if it's an accredited Microsoft company? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Well, my saga is going in a slightly different direction - Argos seemed to have latched on to this proving of the manufacturing problem, even though I've gone on more about the reasonable lifetime that the sale of good act tells us about, here's there latest response -

What do you think, keep plugging away at the emails, start on the trading standards people, or find and kill all Argos staff ?

I will sacrifice myself for the cause! :D

This evening, I saw the red ring.

I'm afraid to turn it on again.

If I give it a day or two's rest, it'll be okay, right? Right?

If you're warranty's still valid I'd send that bastard off for repair while you still can.

If you're warranty's still valid I'd send that bastard off for repair while you still can.

What's the base warranty on this piece of junk? I remember it coming with a card offering some extended warranty, which I only thought to read the day after its application expiry. It's not something ridiculous like 3 months, is it?

I just bought a 360, and it comes with an offer to get an extra 2 years warranty for (I think) £70.

Sounds like it might be worth going for. I've always thought of these things as a con to get money out of you, but in this case I might well get my monies worth out of Microsoft.

Is anyone else taking up this offer?

CurryKitten, unfortunately they are perfectly entitled to ask for an experts opinion. From the Which? website:

The evidence

If the goods are less than six months old, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't present at the time of purchase. For anything older, it's entitled to ask you to provide evidence of the fault.

If the views of, say, a local repairer won't sway them, you may need to get an independent expert to product a report. You should always try and agree with the retailer on an expert you are both happy with and the questions that will be put to them, before you instruct them.

Make sure you know how much they will charge, as if you win, you are only able to claim back a maximum of £200 towards expert fees in the small claims court

Best to find a local one, check they'll look at the 360 and then check with Argos that they will accept the evidence. Frankly, you know what they're going to find so it is a stalling tactic on their part. When you get the report, there will be absolutely nothing they can do though. They'll have to cough up.

Look on the bright side, at least they're communicating with you. I haven't got a scooby what's going on with mine.

What's the base warranty on this piece of junk? I remember it coming with a card offering some extended warranty, which I only thought to read the day after its application expiry. It's not something ridiculous like 3 months, is it?

The warranty is for 12 months. Standard thing. I don't actually know what warranty they give once they repair it though. And the repair is hardly a guarantee against future problems.

Oh, I'm assuming you're in the UK.